Next release idea

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

OK, this is probably a huge thing, but I think if we want to get more
participation this would definately help:

Webification. (Is that word?)

Essentially, find a way to have firefox and/or IE be the client, either
via html/xml, or Java or a combination of the two.

Yes, this means that the server will have to do cgi scripts and
generate web pages. It might not have to be a part of the Wolfpack
server itself, but I think empire could really use a web front end.

What do we gain? No downloads, easy access, standard interface.

Thoughts?

Muz

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 10:01:45 -0700, Muz wrote:

> OK, this is probably a huge thing, but I think if we want to get more
> participation this would definately help:
>
> Webification. (Is that word?)
>
> Essentially, find a way to have firefox and/or IE be the client, either
> via html/xml, or Java or a combination of the two.

Many years ago, Drake did a Java client. It was pretty basic. Here,
after a quick google search:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=rec.games.empire%20java

Look below the NEWS postings.

Seems like I tried it once and it more or less worked.

-mark

Muz wrote:
> OK, this is probably a huge thing, but I think if we want to get more
> participation this would definately help:
>
> Webification. (Is that word?)
>
> Essentially, find a way to have firefox and/or IE be the client, either
> via html/xml, or Java or a combination of the two.
>
> Yes, this means that the server will have to do cgi scripts and
> generate web pages. It might not have to be a part of the Wolfpack
> server itself, but I think empire could really use a web front end.
>
> What do we gain? No downloads, easy access, standard interface.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Muz

Use standard html. So it doesn't matter whether people use ie or firefox
or even lynx.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

I wonder if this is necessary to be integrated into the server, or if a separate
application can be run on the server to do this function. Such as a modified
"empire hub".

-Bung

..

"Muz" <themuzicman@gmail.com> wrote in message
> OK, this is probably a huge thing, but I think if we want to get more
> participation this would definately help:
>
> Webification. (Is that word?)
>
> Essentially, find a way to have firefox and/or IE be the client, either
> via html/xml, or Java or a combination of the two.
>
> Yes, this means that the server will have to do cgi scripts and
> generate web pages. It might not have to be a part of the Wolfpack
> server itself, but I think empire could really use a web front end.
>
> What do we gain? No downloads, easy access, standard interface.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Muz

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

Well, the server item that might need some work is the interface. If I
say att 0,0, the server responds with a series of prompts about what
sectors and units should attack. Either the webpage would have to
refresh for each prompt, or you'd need a popup dialogue window (or Java
client ask the questions), or you'd have to find a way to get the
answers to all those prompts up front, so they could be answered in the
cgi.

If the intereface were designed to interact better with a web
environment, say a single response with all the information needed to
complete the command, it would make the client side easier.

Muz

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

>While some prompts could be made arguments with some effort, others
>can't without serious loss of functionality. Consider pinpoint
>bombing. You're prompted for what to bomb after your planes had a
>look at targets. If the target walks away while you decide, you're
>asked again. If you made the target an argument, then you'd lose that
>functionality.

Yes, this part would have to be redesigned.

Muz

In article <pan.2005.04.06.02.45.42.375379@wolfpackempire.com>, Mark Ballinger wrote:

> Many years ago, Drake did a Java client. It was pretty basic. Here,
> after a quick google search:

Hey, I found it!

http://web.archive.org/web/19970125093605/www.empire.net/~harmless/java/

That was a close one. wayback only barely goes back far enough. :)

It was basically telnet (not even emp_client), and based on someone
else's Java MUD client. I think it took a day to write.
It wasn't graphical and wasn't smart, so I don't know how
effective it would have been as a recruiting tool. Other people have worked
on real Java clients, but I don't know whether any of them saw production.
The normal JVM sandbox restrictions would require that you run a small web
server and server the applet from the same host as the game (no big deal),
or run an empire-hub on the web server and forward everything.

-harmless

"Muz" <themuzicman@gmail.com> writes:

> Well, the server item that might need some work is the interface. If I
> say att 0,0, the server responds with a series of prompts about what
> sectors and units should attack. Either the webpage would have to
> refresh for each prompt, or you'd need a popup dialogue window (or Java
> client ask the questions), or you'd have to find a way to get the
> answers to all those prompts up front, so they could be answered in the
> cgi.
>
> If the intereface were designed to interact better with a web
> environment, say a single response with all the information needed to
> complete the command, it would make the client side easier.

While some prompts could be made arguments with some effort, others
can't without serious loss of functionality. Consider pinpoint
bombing. You're prompted for what to bomb after your planes had a
look at targets. If the target walks away while you decide, you're
asked again. If you made the target an argument, then you'd lose that
functionality.

Archived from groups: rec.games.empire (More info?)

a web front end would be very cool from a user standpoint

i like using a client but sometimes when things are in upheaval, a web
front end would enable play regardless