Next Snapdragon CPU: 2.5GHz, 75% Less Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

killakat

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]proton9[/nom]do we really need quad core cpus in our mobiles? seriously?[/citation]

GTFO, hata!!! This damn thing could make tablets more viable than they are now. I'm actually excited for this =D

Killa approves.

G

No doubt Nintendo will use quadcores in their upcoming Wii(2) console, and support some real HD.
Am expecting iPhone 6 to support two front facing cameras for 3D video and playback. This processor can see that as a reality.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]v4nquish[/nom]You guys remind of the Bill Gates, and I quote "640K ought to be enough for anybody." 1981[/citation]

He never said that, why do people keep quoting this?

And as far as needing this tech in a PHONE. no.

In a multifunction personal device with included communications then yes.

Seriously, they should just stop calling them phones, they're not even good for making calls anymore. It's more screen than phone and they're static flat not curved to your face, last time i checked i wasn't an NES character with a perfectly flat area from my mouth to ear.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, the 75% less power sounds good. These days, smartphone battery life is between 1-2 day for average to heavy usage. Low power components are totally welcome.[/citation]

Ah, yes indeed. With this new more efficient chip, I'd like to see a ultra efficient 1Ghz version. I want more battery life!

G

The real question is whether microsoft will be releasing a version of Windows Me for ARM processors. That's what I'm really waiting for.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
[citation][nom]proton9[/nom]do we really need quad core cpus in our mobiles? seriously?[/citation]
Not with what we currently use mobile devices for. But this will cause a paradigm shift in the we use these devices. Which is why their might not be a PS4 to replace the PS3. This is one of the reasons I think the NGP will follow the track that goes beyond it.

AidanJC

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I guess this means we can finally do high quality 3D rendering on our mobile devices. Just a little over kill, even for 2012. This might be reasonable in 2014, but not next year.

With the rate that these devices are advancing, you could buy a mobile phone one month, and the next month it would be out of date.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I think we are very very very far from a phone or tablet taking over the console market. Size alone is a factor. You cant replace the abbility to game on a 40+" screen with friends on a phone/tablet size screen. And then there is also the fact that no matter how much power you can pack into a phone/tablet sized interface you will always have the abbility to pack more into a console sized interface plain and simple. However with this type of tech coming out it seem possible to have your phone replace things like the Nintindo 3Ds or PSP. That would be awsome to get close to console performance on your phone without having to carry a phone and PSP :)

saintjimmy

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]JerseyFirefighter[/nom]And when the hell am I gonna be able to play crysis on my tablet?!?![/citation]

They have OnLive for that right now, if I'm not mistaken. But to play it locally from the tablet/smartphone, I think that'll probably come within the next 5 years. Maybe Crysis 3 will be out by then!

shmung

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
a 20mp camera my 3mp camera takes better pictures than some of these 5s and 8s on phones id like some good image stabilization and whatever makes my 3mp camera take better pictures than the 8s i dont know much about cameras so i dont exactly know what its called someone was telling me its something about the shutter. either way id rather have a 5 that works right than a 20 that takes blurry pictures

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]I want to see ARM move to PC's, then we can really use the quad core ARM procs.[/citation]
intel has that marked covered, lol...and they are doing a wonderful job

keith_d

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Lol. A 20 megapixel camera on a phone? That is the worst idea I have ever heard. Sure it could work, if you want a large picture with complete garbage quality.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Who cares wtf he said 30 years ago. FFS get over it. Alot of people have said crap they probably wish they wouldn't have, and wouldn't admit to saying it. Hell I'm sure you have to.

You act like it's such a big deal when it's not. I'm pretty sure he didn't strive to stop progression.

Status
Not open for further replies.