lilgenski16

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
Hello Everyone! I have a fairly modern and acceptable system. I was just curious as to peoples suggestion of the most viable/appropriate upgrade that I should look to aim for in my system.

Current Specs:
Intel I5 9600k (Stock)
Hyper 212 Evo
MSI Z390a Pro Motherboard
16GB Gddr4 Corsair Vengeance @3000Mhz
MSI GTX 1660 Super
EVGA 800W Gold Certified PSU

~Now to note, I do not get "Bad FPS" in any games that I play, I would just like to get more. (Ha!) I've been told that since GPU prices are starting to normalize that It would be my best upgrade path.

I am open to any other additional questions that you might have!

Thanks guys, and gals!

Solution
I second the 12400 / 12400F + B660 board. Excellent cpu for the price.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...2400f-processor-18m-cache-up-to-4-40-ghz.html

EvzZHt4zskeq2WvRUVwVHK-970-80.png

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

Which model? And how old it is?

I would just like to get more.

Better GPU will do that. Or reducing in-game graphical quality. Or playing at lower resolutions. Or cleaning system of bloatware (including malware).

Hyper 212 Evo

Personally, i'd replace that, IF PSU is sound. If not, PSU would be 1st update.

As of why, well, 212 Evo is poor CPU cooler and only good part of it, is it's cheap price.
Now, your temps may be fine and/or you don't plan to OC your CPU. But if you want more FPS, especially CPU bound games, CPU OC is viable. That is, if you have good enough cooling for CPU OC, which 212 Evo isn't capable of.

Hello Everyone! I have a fairly modern and acceptable system. I was just curious as to peoples suggestion of the most viable/appropriate upgrade that I should look to aim for in my system.

Current Specs:
Intel I5 9600k (Stock)
Hyper 212 Evo
MSI Z390a Pro Motherboard
16GB Gddr4 Corsair Vengeance @3000Mhz
MSI GTX 1660 Super

~Now to note, I do not get "Bad FPS" in any games that I play, I would just like to get more. (Ha!) I've been told that since GPU prices are starting to normalize that It would be my best upgrade path.

I am open to any other additional questions that you might have!

Thanks guys, and gals!
What country are you located and what is your budget?

lilgenski16

Commendable
Dec 13, 2019
Which model? And how old it is?

Better GPU will do that. Or reducing in-game graphical quality. Or playing at lower resolutions. Or cleaning system of bloatware (including malware).

Personally, i'd replace that, IF PSU is sound. If not, PSU would be 1st update.

As of why, well, 212 Evo is poor CPU cooler and only good part of it, is it's cheap price.
Now, your temps may be fine and/or you don't plan to OC your CPU. But if you want more FPS, especially CPU bound games, CPU OC is viable. That is, if you have good enough cooling for CPU OC, which 212 Evo isn't capable of.

Thanks for the Reply, to anwser your questions!

1) it is a Corsair CX 750M (So 750W), It was my friends, but he did not use it much, and I have had it for about 2 years now.

2) as for the 212 Evo, your probably correct in your assessment - however I have never seen above 55-56 C on my CPU temps, I usually am playing competitive shooters So im playing on lower Graphic quality Settings. However even in games like Warzone, or GTV CPU Temps never exceed 55 even on Medium - High Settings.

logainofhades

Titan
The 212 is perfectly adequate for a 6c/6t cpu, unless you are going for extreme overclocks, which they aren't. Personally, I would upgrade your platform, to 12th gen, and sell your 9600k and Z390 board. 6c/6t wasn't super great, even back when that chip was new. An R5 3600 gave more consistent performance, thanks to SMT. You can even reuse the 212, as there is an LGA 1700 bracket for it. This is the absolute cheapest, I would go, and would highly recommend a 12700/f if you can afford to.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400F 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B660M-A DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Cooler Master Intel LGA 1700 Bracket for Hyper 212S Series ($7.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $296.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-05-12 14:45 EDT-0400

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
1) it is a Corsair CX 750M (So 750W), It was my friends, but he did not use it much, and I have had it for about 2 years now.

CXm is mediocre quality PSU and at best, suited to power only office builds without dedicated GPU. But for gaming build, a far better quality PSU is better choice. E.g Seasonic Focus+ or PRIME series. Or if you like Corsair, then RM, RMi, RMx, HX series.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Now, you may not have any issues with your PSU, but there are loads and loads of people, who have had issues with their CXm, which mostly manifest in: "PC randomly shuts down". <- If that happens, you can loose far more than your current gaming session. These include, but are not limited to: data corruption, lasting damage to hardware (reduced performance) or even dying components.

PSU is the most important component inside the PC, since it powers everything. And when PSU starts acting up, it has the magical ability to fry everything it is connected to. And PSU's warranty doesn't cover any other component it can fry.
So, never cheap out on PSU. Saving 50 bucks on PSU isn't worth it, when cheap PSU blows and fries your entire PC, which can very well cost thousands.