Next upgrade advice?

Nov 24, 2018
I typically play a lot of online fps titles like COD Blackops 4, PUBG, Battlefield titles and stuff along those lines. My questions is what would be the best piece of hardware/peripherals to upgrade next to improve my overall gaming experience/performance? Currently I am just looking to put another $200-$400 bucks into it as of right now so I am just curious as to what my best options would be as far as bang for my buck goes..Below is my current setup and specs. Thanks for your help!!

CPU: i5 6400 (2.7 ghz)

GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 (4GB)

Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Plus

16 GB RAM DDR4 SDRAM

120GB Solid State Drive

1TB hard drive

Monitor: LG-ULTRAWIDE 2560X1080p (60hz) w/freesync

Keyboard: Corsair K55

Mouse: Logitech G602

Headset: Corsair Void Pro RGB

Nov 24, 2018

I am not seeing any issues necessarily, it's more along the lines of just wanting to get the best performance and experience with the money I put into it if that makes sense. Do you have any kind of idea what GPU my current CPU could reasonably handle before needing to upgrade it as well?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The i5-6400 is still a tier one processor for gaming, as such it should handle a GTX 1070 w/o much if any bottleneck. If you prefer AMD because of the Freesync, look into the Vega 56. The RX-590 might be a less expensive upgrade although maybe somewhat a sideways move. I'll leave that up to you. Beyond those, the 4C/4T CPU may have trouble keeping up depending on the game.

I'm really interested in Nvidia's new RTX Ray Tracing GPUs, myself. But until more games use that tech, it isn't worth the expense right now (to me). Plus Nvidia's 2000-series seems to have some "growing pains" at present.

Nov 24, 2018

Yeah I get what you mean, and you are pretty much dead on with the 580 being a rather lateral move from everything I've read online there's very little difference between the RX480 and the RX580 performance wise so I see no point in going with the 580 at this point. I have been considering getting the 1070 or even the ti version of it seeing as how there really isn't that much of a price difference between the two now days. I know the ti versions are supposedly better, I just don't really know what specifically makes them better to be honest. Do you think I would see some considerable performance gains if I were to upgrade the gpu to a 1070?

Nov 24, 2018

My bad the 590 is what I meant! So currently there is someone I know selling a used EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 for $240, is that a good price for that card?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

The GTX 1070s start around $340 new at this time. So yes, if the card is in good condition (not a miner) it seems like a good price. I bought my Evga GTX 1070 SC Gaming w/ACX 3.0 back in early 2017. That same card now goes for $450 - $480! I thought cards were supposed to come down in price as they age, not increase. What make/model are you considering?