Next Upgrade from GeForce 2 MX??

WelshRob

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2001
I am thinking of upgrading my Geforce 2 MX (original MX not MX200 or MX400). I like to play the latest games and demos so speed is of the essence. I have a 1Ghz Athlon Thunderbird socket A and 256MB SDRAM. Can you advise what videocard I should go for (budget around £300) I am very interested in Geforce 4 Ti4600 but worried that my Athlon would not cope! If this is the case, what card would really make my system rocket or alternatively, what CPU is required to really allow the GF4 to fly?
Thanks guys

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Your CPU will be able to cope no problem. GF4 would be the best on the market right now.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
A GF 4 TI 4600 is the top card that will be on the market soon, and your CPU should be able to give it most of the power it would need. However, in the benches that we see at the moment with the GF4, it's a top of the line system. I would be interested in how effected it is by CPU speed.

There is a fine balance between CPU speed and GPU power. Most Athlons can feed any GPU out there adiquitely. My personal recomendation though, is to wait till march, when the GF4 Ti's come out, and ATI releases their new drivers, and posably their new card. You'll have a world of choices in video cards, and the advantage of falling prices on both Nvidia and ATI products.

This is a non-smoking forum.
If your computer is smoking, please extinguish it immediately.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Radeon 8500 64mb is looking good. New drivers are very stable and price will be falling.

I Love playing on my GameCube or PC cuz there both ATi powered... :smile: