Next Windows Release Could Mesh Metro Apps With Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee144

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
This is fair. Metro apps are basically full screened versions of the desktops apps. What's not to like about eliminating the clutter when I really want to hone in on an app?

g00b

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Lol. Man. The Apple hate is strong. I can mention the sky is blue, and someone will chime in something about Apple.Anyway. Microsoft. Just buy Stardock and get this over with. ModernMix + Start8. Until then, you are getting haters just like Apple.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
This is fair. Metro apps are basically full screened versions of the desktops apps. What's not to like about eliminating the clutter when I really want to hone in on an app?
The Metro SOFTWARE itself. It's usually crap anyway. Microsoft should be getting rid of that nonsense, not bringing into the desktop.

I personally like this change alot. Turns the "modern" ui into just a huge obtrusive start menu. Its better than a huge obtrusive start screen with its own programs running in the background that you constantly forget about.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I am glad that Microsoft is finally going in the right direction and hope that they bring back widgets, Aero like borders, scroll inactive background windows without popping them to the foreground, and the ability to have multiple desktops. The ability to get metro apps without logging into a Microsoft Account is also desirable. If the Calendar and Mail apps require a Microsoft Account, which are limited to 5 devices, then you need to create another email which loses the ability to sync your calendar. Only paid apps should require a Microsoft Account to limit the 5 device threshold. Therefore don't just settle for bringing back Windows 7 functionality and improve features. My desktop is fast enough to handle more than simple colored rectangular shapes.

I personally like this change alot. Turns the "modern" ui into just a huge obtrusive start menu. Its better than a huge obtrusive start screen with its own programs running in the background that you constantly forget about.
Metro is a better name... and has less letters for our lazy fingers to type. What matters is that we all know what is being talked about.Personally I am stoked about the possibility of 'floating' metro apps. While most of them are junk, there are quite a few media players (especially radios) that I like better than their desktop or web counterparts, but snapping them or switching between them is too annoying to bother using them in the first place. Also, potentially useful apps like metro's Skype (and other large metro apps) hibernate like a phone app when not up on the screen, making them useless to use as a chat client while gaming. Hopefully putting them on the desktop would keep them active and usable.The real hope however is that this will eventually bring the ability to buy native desktop apps in the MS Store. This could bring a much more secure (and safer) purchasing option to less educated users in order to avoid downloading every virus under the sun while looking for such simple apps as VLC or other commonly downloaded desktop applicaitons.It seems like MS is moving to make their conferences (or at least their opening keynote) more about product launches than about developers. Good or not, my bet is that this means we will see a major update (8.1.2?) released in the fall, and win9 next year. But I suppose that is just empty speculation.

I think this is how it should have been from the start. It would be nice to launch the netflix app in desktop mode for example without feeling restricted.

Metro store should act like steam and just let you buy software and it automatically update. I do like the idea the idea that if a format is required Windows will download and reinstall applications and your computer automatically, plus settings. So login on Windows with Microsoft account and photoshop, ccleaner, foobar200, utorrent, steam, blender, vlc, or whatever automatically installs and acts like a desktop program(if those were on the store and acted like desktop programs).

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah we get a few of those types every once in a while, it's best to just ignore them.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

No.

It's Metro. Microsoft changed it at the last second and we don't forgive, we don't forget. I don't care what they call it.

Besides, even Microsoft has called it Metro once or twice, after Windows h8 release.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I am aghast.It is like there is some dark forces at work, denying us a vanilla Desktop version of Windows 8.Or there is something seriously wrong with customer relations & marketing, in that Microsoft clearly fails to listen to what their customers want.In my part of the world, where high street computer retailers offer some of their laptops with either Windows, or at a lower price sans-Windows (with free Linux), I can only envisage the Linux fan boys p1ssing themselves laughing at the the continued 'home goals' Microsoft is providing them with.My non-techie brother returned his Win8 Sony Viao laptop, after he and his wife struggled with the Metro UI, one day too many. It is almost funny, I warned them they wouldn't be happy...

WebsWalker

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
No.It's Metro. Microsoft changed it at the last second and we don't forgive, we don't forget. I don't care what they call it.Besides, even Microsoft has called it Metro once or twice, after Windows h8 release.
Technically the name doesn't matter. But does it come that people just say "software" about Metro (or whatever) UI? To me it seems like that the UI is a part of the soft but not a standalone software, other way people would have installed another software to replace it.So I do am surprised by the lack of precision in the technical language I find often here. I mean I don't mind about grammar or such stuff (I am not a native speaker myself) but at least I expect people commenting to use proper words instead of some mix of technical words used randomly. It confuses every argument and does not help in any way.I wonder if I am alone feeling that?

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
The only good metro app is Chrome now that it becomes a full desktop environment. Now I can run the Chrome Desktop inside of the desktop.... Well if I used Windows that is.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
There are 2 different methods for developing programs in the Modern Interface and the Desktop Interface. The differences outside of this initial instantiation are non-existent. The thing I don't like about the Modern Interface is that it does not mesh with the Desktop Interface meaning they are separate for some reason that is not necessary. So for instance if I launch Internet Explorer in Modern UI and in Desktop mode, they do not know each other exist. Meshing this would be the beginning in cleaning up the inconsistencies.BTW the difference is simply making a CoreWindow instead of an HWnd. Doing a simple #IF command separating the two is all the complexity added to a Windows 8 program. Conversely I can instantiate both of them and use the same memory addresses, so I have pretty much the same program running in both areas with the same content and memory footprint. However this would be difficult with C#.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Until Windows looks "pretty" again, forget it. Microsoft has tried to hard to keep up with Apple and has lost touch. I mean, c'mon...blocks/tiles? No thanks. Metro was a failure in Windows Phone 7/8 and Windows 8. I'm sure there are plenty of software engineers that want to smack themselves in the face because of what they have to put up with just for a job...helping create a crappy looking interface.

Whats so bad about it? I quite like it. I have way to many programs to even try to look tidy on a start screen / dock / side bar thing that Ubuntu uses

Personally I just use desktop shortcuts for almost everything, sort them by folder, choose icon for folder and bam, cleanish desktop without needing a start menu / screen / dock.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

Also, completely unusable if you're not constantly clearing to desktop...

haha, agreed. Though I am... Constantly, that show desktop button is quite possibly my favorite feature of windows 7/8

I know it was on windows xp also but the placement was awkward, it wasn't just slam the mouse down into the corner and press.

bloodroses75

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
It doesn't surprise me that they're doing this as there is already a 3rd party app for windows 8/8.1 that allows you to run metro apps in a window. It is called ModernMix by Stardock.

Status
Not open for further replies.