Next worthy upgrade for PC? Ram vs CPU

XSlayerAssassinX

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014
Hi, I have a PC

8 gigs of DD4 Ram

RX 570 4 GB

Ryzen 1400 OC to 3.5 stock cooler

I don't know what to upgrade next to improve my build. Whenever i popped up task manager i noticed Black ops 4 utilizing like 80% of my ram and sometimes my game stutters. I guess recommended ram for the game is 12 or 16. Do you guys think I'll see better performance all-around with 16 gigs of ram or a Ryzen 2600

Solution

At 80% RAM utilization you will want more RAM. I have found that once you hit the 75-80% range that computers start to get a bit laggy as you don't have a lot of free RAM left, Windows doesn't have a lot of extra space to cache in RAM...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Better monitoring in-game performance via something like RivaTuner/MSI Afterburner, opposed to tabbing out and checking task manager.

If you're seeing 80% RAM utilization in-game, truly.... then 16GB isn't going to help.

Stronger single-core performance would probably be mroe beneficial (ie 2000 series), but whether the gains would be proportionate to the cost, is debatable.

What memory do you have, specifically? Speed, and dual channel would be likely be more beneficial that anything else.

XSlayerAssassinX

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014
My speed is supposed to be at 3200 for the 8 gigs but it can only reach around 2600 stable for my motherboard. Quite depressing but i got a super cheap micro ATX AM4 motherboard, B350 so i can overclock a bit but i can't even do that too much either. And Idk why games suggest 12-16 gigs of Ram.. but you might be right about the 1400. I just don't know if i'm being bottlenecked because my CPU isn't at full usage either but I've noticed the ram REALLY goes up kinda high.. and in benchmarks i've seen games utilize more than 8. I know the 2600 is massively better (Single core performance-wise and multi). I do have dual channel ram, two 4 gig sticks, Ripjaws. and I'm pretty sure a RX 570 4GB has to be good enough for gaming right now on 1080p

XSlayerAssassinX

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014

A 2600 is $150 on Amazon and 16 gigs of ram will run me around $130. I also wanna update and mention whenever i alt tab while in Black Ops 4 everything runs so damn slow as well

At 80% RAM utilization you will want more RAM. I have found that once you hit the 75-80% range that computers start to get a bit laggy as you don't have a lot of free RAM left, Windows doesn't have a lot of extra space to cache in RAM, and therefore it begins to page swap to disk. That being said if you are able to afford both the CPU and RAM that would be your best bet as you should be able to game at 1080 high with your GPU.

Solution

XSlayerAssassinX

Honorable
Dec 5, 2014
Thank you everyone. The better Ryzen CPU will give me an improvement for sure. I will upgrade my ram and processor around Black Friday for the best deals :) . 2600x is looking god-tier for the price and 16 gigs of ram will come soon