Question Nexus 10 - Running Off USB Only

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Oh, that's right... Nexus 10!

Loved this tablet, and still think the best tablet ever made. :D

That said it's been dead for years, battery is pretty much toast, though after 2yrs of gathering dust it did turn on for a minute. I plugged into a cell/tablet charger and had it running a bit but seems like it drains faster than it charges.

Why do I care?

Well, my bedroom alarm clock is dying and thought I'd make my old Nexus10 into a wall clock/alarm. It's running LineageOS (forgot which version). Had it charged to about 3% when tested the clock screen out and after 5min despite being plugged in, it hit 0% and shut off.

Is this just how it is with the Nexus10? Even a simple clock app will drain faster than it can charge? Would that change if I were to use a slightly bigger charger?

Just wondering if anyone knows off-hand. I'm not looking to spend a lot of time/money testing ways to make it work, but if someone happens to know if it will work and how, let me know. Else sadly... time for the recycling bin. :(

Lutfij

Titan
Use the stock charger, I'm sure the issue is with the tablet's internal battery. That being said, why not just replace the battery and see how things go from there? Just be wary that the battery might need a few discharge and recharge cycles to get to optimal functionality(the new one, not referring to the older battery).

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Well, battery isn't happening, more trouble than it's worth to replace, plus probably buying a 10yr old NOS battery. Used or not they have a shelf life.

I just wanted to plug it in and leave it plugged in as a clock but I think with such a large screen being powered it's gonna drain as fast as it takes power, or faster. Just wondered if there were a way to make it power faster... more amps? or instead of a USB wall plug getting an AC adapter with the right end, like used on a Raspberry Pi.

Unrelated... There a breech on here? Posted last night and got flooded with Spam.

Last edited:

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Nope... tried with my 5v2.5A RaspPi AC Adapter (other was 2A) and no luck. Got it up to 48% before I tried running the clock app... app ran fine, left it plugged in, after 30min it was down to 44%. Not a fast drop but won't stay at a number or go up. Shame... if it could run off USB power only like a Laptop can, it be great! But sadly, it's going in the trash.

Could eBay it... unreal but some people truing to get $75 for a 10yr old tablet. Good luck.

Scott586

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2012
Well, battery isn't happening, more trouble than it's worth to replace, plus probably buying a 10yr old NOS battery. Used or not they have a shelf life.

I just wanted to plug it in and leave it plugged in as a clock but I think with such a large screen being powered it's gonna drain as fast as it takes power, or faster. Just wondered if there were a way to make it power faster... more amps? or instead of a USB wall plug getting an AC adapter with the right end, like used on a Raspberry Pi.

Unrelated... There a breech on here? Posted last night and got flooded with Spam.
I'm in the same situation with my HP WebOS tablet. Tried to find one of those charging stands but they are crazy expensive and pretty much unobtainium. It was a beautiful machine that still boots & is mint, but the battery is completely shot. Sad to let it go.

THRobinson

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I'm in the same situation with my HP WebOS tablet. Tried to find one of those charging stands but they are crazy expensive and pretty much unobtainium. It was a beautiful machine that still boots & is mint, but the battery is completely shot. Sad to let it go.
Yup... Mine drained faster than it would charge else I wanted to make an alarm clock from it but no luck. Ended up in electronic recycle bin.

I have a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3+ that they ended support on really fast and left it with a flakey Android version. I switched the OS to Lineage and had the Android version go from 7 up to 11, but it didn't like it very much so dropped to 9. Stable but some issue with RAM because every time I switch apps, when I go back to the other app it restarts.

Same as Nexus10... Super screen, nice big front firing speakers, it even had a built in stand... But battery starting to go, RAM issues on OS, and now gathering dust.