Nexus 5 Packs 2.3Ghz Snapgragon 800, 5-inch Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to have a longer battery life than the phone I'll be upgrading from, which is a Galaxy S 1, with a 4g chip in it. It gives me about 20 minutes of talk time with a completely full charge.

I've been dealing with this rather awful thing for a long while now, waiting for the Nexus 5. It's going to be a nice upgrade.

airanp

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
The 800 is actually more efficient than previous models as it can scale each core as needed independantly. The real drain is going to be the 1080p ips display. The spec sheet is stating somewhere in the ballpark of 7 hours of use though on LTE which is something I'll be interested in seeing when some battery drain tests start popping up.

typicalGeek

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
"It packs a 4.95-inch 1920x1080p full HD display (though Google is calling this a 5-inch phone)..."

Seriously, you're saying this as if the screen is noticeably short of being a full 5" diagonal measure. The 0.05" (less than 1.3 mm) that the author seems to have a problem with Google's rounding up is less than the thickness of a dime. Not really a big marketing ploy on Google's part.

Now, if you're fishing with a buddy and the 19" fish he caught is described as "about two feet long" then you've got a bit of a meaningful rounding error.

The Snapdragon 600 in my Galaxy S4 already gets uncomfortably hot and drains the battery in a few hours. It 2600mAh and lasts long enough for my purposes but I wouldn't want anything that drains faster.

Not quite. My SGS4 GP Edition lasts about 2 days on it's old battery and 3-4 days on an extended battery. It's all in the software optimization, and pure Android devices (like Nexus, or GP phones) are pretty good at that.

Nada190

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013

No, I mean they don't let you get away with wifi only because I really don't need a data plan.

jase240

Honorable
Aug 4, 2012
According to the specs, it supports both GSM and CDMA on the SAME phone!?!?

Network
2G/3G/4G LTE
GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
CDMA: Band Class: 0/1/10
WCDMA: Bands: 1/2/4/5/6/8/19
LTE: Bands: 1/2/4/5/17/19/25/26/41

Confusion? These specs are from this page: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_16GB_Black?id=nexus_5_black_16gb

I didn't think phones usually supported both GSM and CDMA on the same exact device, I always thought it was one or the other per model(ex. A CDMA model and a GSM model).

ChiefScooter

Honorable
Sep 13, 2012
My Motorola Photon was CDMA and GSM. Was real handy in areas with poor coverage, as it could reach out to any network around, as opposed to one or the other.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

Exactly. Screw google pushing their google drive on us so they can scan our files for advertising algorithms and charge us directly for more storage capacity.

You are condoning this kind of behavior if you buy this phone.

You also might want to get a phone that allows you replace a $20 battery that will be significantly degraded in one year.

You don't know the trick for that? When it comes time to upgrade, say you don't want to pay for a data phone and want a "dumb"phone - it should be free, even though it'll use your upgrade; any phone with a SIM card that you don't have to pay for data with will work.

Then you aren't paying for a data plan, and you can just take the SIM card out of that phone and plunk it in whatever phone you like.

Nada190

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013

I thought AT&T would find out and slap a data plan on your contract? I currently use a dumbphone.

I've done it for years with T-mobile and they've never put a data plan on me. They can't tell what phone you have through your SIM card - and as long as you block/are careful with your data usage and don't do the thing for which data plans are now mandatory (racking up $1000s in data charges then pleading ignorance and threatening to go to the press), you're fine. I know people who do it on AT&T, as well; works a treat. If you aren't sure about it, you can always pick up a used smartphone like the original Galaxy S for dirt cheap - often free on craigslist.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I quit AT&T last year and went to tmobile just because of this behavior. They will scan your IMEI and determine if you have a smartphone (IMEI can tell make and model). Then they will "automatically" add a dataplan to your bill without even notifying you (except when you get the bill). Tmobile however does a no-contract, plus if you get the minimal data plan, I have four phones and am only paying $100 / month. And their dataplan works such that you get 500MB per month of the high speed access, but after you use it up, it doesn't charge you money, they just spam you with a text, then your speed drops to 2G.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I quit AT&T last year and went to tmobile just because of this behavior. They will scan your IMEI and determine if you have a smartphone (IMEI can tell make and model). Then they will "automatically" add a dataplan to your bill without even notifying you (except when you get the bill). Tmobile however does a no-contract, plus if you get the minimal data plan, I have four phones and am only paying $100 / month. And their dataplan works such that you get 500MB per month of the high speed access, but after you use it up, it doesn't charge you money, they just spam you with a text, then your speed drops to 2G.

Ah, that's actually good to know. I didn't realize they did that; that's pretty scoundrel-y of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.