Nexus 9 Available For Only $200 Through 'HTC Hot Deals' Program, Quantity Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Mayberry

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
This would be nice if their website wasn't crashing and refusing connections to view products or your cart. I guess they weren't expecting the traffic.

zdaggs

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
been trying to get this deal since 9am but there has been no buy option, just the ability to pick your color and size. will be very frustrated if there all sold out.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah no micro SD card support is kind of a deal breaker to me, which is why I'm not too interested in the Nexus 6.

Arbie

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I don't think Tom's should go along with no-quantity "sale" announcements like this. It's simply cheap advertising for HTC. Your readers depend on you to filter out the chaff. Don't give us "nothing" articles.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
I don't think Tom's should go along with no-quantity "sale" announcements like this. It's simply cheap advertising for HTC. Your readers depend on you to filter out the chaff. Don't give us "nothing" articles.

Arbie, you're not wrong...there's a lot of chaff (great word choice) out there that's just basically advertising disguised as stories. We pass on those sorts of things all the time.

But we discussed the value of this story before we ran with it, and we decided that it was worth posting because of how curious it is. Dropping the price of a brand-new product by HALF? Is this desperation? Is this bold? Is it stupid? Is it a ploy?

Matthew Mayberry's comment indicates that this was mostly a ploy: "Also, they're confirmed already gone. About 10 minutes after the deal was posted everywhere." Mm hm.

So that tells us something, and we know what's up with HTC for the next time around. A major part of Tom's Hardware's greatness is our community. You guys are sharp and sussed this thing out straightaway. You've helped this coverage.

So anyway, you're right that we shouldn't be posting a bunch of crap sales. We agree. This one seemed interesting...you guys figured out what was going on. Thank you!

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
I think Tom's Hardware should have reviewed the product before posting a 'news release' type of article to see if it's even worth $200.

From what I've seen of other reviews, this is at best a lackluster product. It's a new hardware combination with a re-written OS with a brand new run-time on top of all that other new. That's a lot of new to work the kinks out of and it's apparently showing. Smart shopper, wait for a couple of software revisions, and wait to see if the hardware makes the grade 6 months from now or if there are 'gotchas' waiting in the wings.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

Your comment doesn't make any sense. We're not endorsing (nor bashing) anything. It's just a post about a kind of insane sale on a new device.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014

It makes sense, in the post above mine you'd already discussed that this fishy. The next step would be to follow up and see if their is an issue with the product and they are already trying to clear inventory, or if it's just a case of "get the item to customers" marketing. I don't see how reviewing a product before passing on news of a sale 'makes no sense'.

It would give the readers a way of evaluating whether they want to spend even $200 of their income. Course, considering it was a sale practically already over before published, the question is kinda moot now.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

It makes no sense because there's 1) there was no time to do a complete review before this news broke and 2) it has nothing to do with whether or not users should spend their money on it. The story is interesting because it's a crazy sale, not because the product is or isn't very good. Plus, if TH readers WERE planning to buy one around that time, they would be informed that there's a deep discount available. That's all.

popatim

Titan
I see manufacturers do this fairly often to build product excitement and get the units into users hands quickly (hoping for good "real user" reviews I assume). Most of the time, like this one, I miss out but sometimes I'm able to snag one so I wont say they are scams. its just limited quantities and that's no different than if a store had the same sale to me.
Should this have been posted on Toms? - That's not my call but if our users can get first shot at it then "Hell yeah! Why not?" is my opinion. LoL

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS