Nexus 9 To Be First Device With Android L And Nvidia Denver CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

a1r

Reputable
Aug 6, 2014
You should take Nvidia's internal benchmarks with half a grain of salt. Nvidia is known to fudge it's driver benchmark results by various means. The real world performance is an unknown.

That said benchmarks on a tablet are pretty useless to begin with. Tablets are normally single use devices where you're doing only one interactive program at a time. So long as it will play video smoothly, display readable text, and replay music without chop a tablet is no different now from the first generation android tablets.

The entire question isn't how fast it is, rather it's how stable it's software will be. That is a complete unknown with a new generation processor AND a next generation software stack.

Android devices keep getting better!

I might leave Samsung for a Nexus 9.
Android devices keep getting better!

I might leave Samsung for a Nexus 9.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I hope this screen resolution isn't accurate, cause it sucks.
8inch tablets now have 2560*1600 screen. The nexus 10 had that 2 years ago.
Going lower than an ipad iwould be a big dissapointment.
If they want a 4:3 screen, then they should go just like a chromebook pixel with 2560*1700.

Thomas Serruques

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
This nVidia Denver chip beats a Haswell Celeron? First time ever that a mobile chip with arm v8 64 bit cores beats a core chip from intel.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

It actually has the same resolution as the iPad. And 2560x1700 is not 4:3...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

You must have really big pockets.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

You apparently missed all the shield tablet scores. K1's scores are not an unknown, and Denver will probably just match it+better battery life due to in house cpu. That's not a jab, that would still be an awesome soc, just saying what I expect. The best part is nobody has to retool as it is pin compatible, so anyone making a K1 design now, should be able to just slot in the Denver version and boom, selling 64bit shortly after. Very wise on NVs part doing this. Regarding the problems, you're forgetting everyone will have the same issues with new software/stack etc and everyone will be moving to 64bit (hardware and software).

InvalidError

Titan

Since most of Android is simply Java running on top of Dalvik/ART, there is not much "64-bitness" for software beyond the core OS and runtime to worry about.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I didn't say it was difficult (or not), just that everyone deals with the same thing here. Not sure why your post says dragonsqrrl said it, I did ;) Not that I think he'd be offended by thrown under my bus in this case...Just saying...He wasn't even in my post or quoted in it. Odd he got slapped with my comment...LOL.

InvalidError

Titan

Evil comment editing: every time I quote a message but do decide to not post a reply, the text from all the unsent quoted messages get prepended to the next messages I reply to until I post a reply. Since the quote blocks only contain numeric message IDs, quotes get screwed up if I remove the wrong parts while cleaning up that mess of stray quotes.

Not sure if that is a feature or a bug. I'd have to try it from Chrome or IE to see if this is a server-side or browser-side thing.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

ROFL...It's a feature...Honest... :) Just like the double posting etc etc...Really tomshardware has the worst software out of any website I've been on in years (for comments and forums at least, and those dang picture slideshow reviews - instant move along response from me since they are such a PITA to read). Or maybe it's really OK software, but just mismanagement of it's use. Either way something is wrong. I have to try many times reloading etc just to get the ability to see the comment button (so I'm not just commenting on the post, but to get into the forum side I mean). I could go on and on with errors that I see routinely but it would likely fall on deaf ears.

Anyway, I get your point ;) Not shocked at all by your response...Toms has "issues".
*grits teeth tries not to swear* :)

Craig Hubley

Reputable
Oct 19, 2014
The CPU is nice.

But what is the deal with "an 8.9" screen with a 2048 x 1440 resolution"? Google used to have better sense than those idiots at Apple about having standard screen resolutions. 1920x1200, 1920x1440, 2760x1440, 2760x1600, and 3840x1440 ("4K") are all standard. 300 dpi is standard for print, which is why sensibly designed Android tablets like the Kobo 10 are 2760x1600 and 300dpi exactly (yes they call it an "e-reader" but it's Android 4.2.2 full featured with a 1.8GHz processor and can stream 1080p just fine).

Oh the Kobo is a lot cheaper. The Kobo ARC 7HD has 1920x1200 and a quad core 1.7GHz and at 16GB (no SD card sadly) and micro-HDMI out it's C$150 new right now. Basically this is a Nexus 7 but with an extra necessary port and for less cash.

Third party and e-reader tablet makers are doing a far better job with SD card slots, micro-HDMI output (for simultaneous charging/disk and big screen viewing), and generally radically better on price.

Unless Google is going to set some new standard like a 4K display at 600dpi with proper output ports to get that to a big screen it really needs to get out of the tablet business and let the little guys do it properly as they are already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS