Nexus Engineers Reveal More Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
16GB of internal storage wouldn't be a problem at all if a SDXC slot were added, but smartphone manufactures rather have consumers overpay for a memory upgrade.

wiimonkey9

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Unnecessary thickness? The 5X is thinner than the original. How much thicker would it be with Qi charging?
Any extra thickness at all is too much since most users, such as myself, won't use wireless charging.

InvalidError

Titan

A wireless charging coil adds practically no thickness: it is merely a copper foil on a plastic film. If they had really wanted to, it could even have been molded into the case.

The main reasons are probably because wireless charging did not turn out as popular or effective as Google expected and caused Google more trouble than it was worth on previous devices.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
To much compromises & unhealthy price tags if you ask me. It's not even a full futured Marshmallow (Android graphics extension is missing). Somehow Meizu made a better phone (MX5 Pro) without any compromises & people complained how it will be to pricy (especially in the US). Somehow MX5 Pro will stay the best one (at least concerning my opinion) until new flagship see the daylight in 2016 (with new SoC's). Google failed second time in the row to impress with a Nexus line only tablet will be worth of mentioning but this one will come in 2016 anyway. They opted for a worst option (Huawei) so that they can be certain that they will be able to meet demand. I think they now won't have any problem meeting demand.

badvok66

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
If they'd released the 5X last year along with the 6 then it would have been on-the-money but it is a year late and now you can get last-years 'premium' phones, that have better specs, for less. Likewise the 6P is out-gunned by last years equivalents that are available for less.

Interesting that LG are just launching their truly premium phone the V10 at a similar time, no info on pricing yet but likely to be eye-watering.

lde

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
One item never mentioned is LG's display port on previous Nexus and MHL which finally is powered by new TVs. However neither phone seems set up to connect to HDMI and the new USB to HDMI cable is only shown as working with Google's new tablet. Little reason to leave out a useful feature. My solution put HDMI connectivity back.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Same sentiments here! The 5x doesn't feel as an upgrade from the N5 despite a gap of two years. 16GB storage is pretty limiting already and that's without movies and just a few mp3s as there have been more nicer apps and growing in size. They could have updated the N5 with a larger battery, the 808 SoC, and wishful of an AMOLED display and appear more interesting than the 5X.

How I wished the MX5 Pro is the Nexus this year. It has the hardware specs that I want that is pretty balanced and with an SoC on the latest process node.

To much compromises & unhealthy price tags if you ask me. It's not even a full futured Marshmallow (Android graphics extension is missing). Somehow Meizu made a better phone (MX5 Pro) without any compromises & people complained how it will be to pricy (especially in the US). Somehow MX5 Pro will stay the best one (at least concerning my opinion) until new flagship see the daylight in 2016 (with new SoC's). Google failed second time in the row to impress with a Nexus line only tablet will be worth of mentioning but this one will come in 2016 anyway. They opted for a worst option (Huawei) so that they can be certain that they will be able to meet demand. I think they now won't have any problem meeting demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.