NFL 2K5: Reeks of bullshit

After playing for a few hours, I can say this:

This game reeks of bullshit.

Every play seems like pure, unadulterated bullshit - it's like the computer
has "impossible play" advantages every second. There's not one believable
moment of football.

Looks like Madden (PC) will be my pigskin game of choice.

Jonah Falcon

But seriously, does anyone care what you think??

I actually like the game, a whole hell of a lot. If they could get the
online servers straight, id like it even more.

"Jonah Falcon" <jonahnynla@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> After playing for a few hours, I can say this:
>
> This game reeks of bullshit.
>
> Every play seems like pure, unadulterated bullshit - it's like the
computer
> has "impossible play" advantages every second. There's not one believable
> moment of football.
>
> Looks like Madden (PC) will be my pigskin game of choice.
>
> Jonah Falcon

Baked

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 05:03:54 GMT, "Michael P. Sheridan" <sheridan@nycap.rr.com>
wrote:

>I actually like the game, a whole hell of a lot. If they could get the
>online servers straight, id like it even more.

How so? Reason I ask is cuz I just signed up for 2 free months of Live and had
major troubles hooking up with my buddy. We both had trouble challenging each
other or at times even seeing each other in the list.

Baked

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:09:42 -0500, "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:

>Once you figure out how to play a video game online, you might start working
>on your flaming technique.

Nup. If it's important to you feel free to work on it for me.

Meanwhile the ESPN NFL2k5 matchups continue to be a major pain in the ass. It
seems I'm not alone with this gripe also.

"Baked" <baked@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:09:42 -0500, "Pumbaa" <maniac@large> wrote:
>

> >Once you figure out how to play a video game online, you might start
working
> >on your flaming technique.
>
> Nup. If it's important to you feel free to work on it for me.
>
> Meanwhile the ESPN NFL2k5 matchups continue to be a major pain in the ass.
It
> seems I'm not alone with this gripe also.

Try playing a little offline until Sega gets their servers operable. I try
a few times here and there and then give up. Had a game going yesterday,
lag free, and was up 10-0 until my opponent, a
Vick-scrambling-I-go-on-every-fourth-down kid, disconnected (quit).

I should learn. Next time someone goes on fourth down, I should quit right
then and there. Football game servers ought to tally how often a player
goes for it on fourth down, so that others can see it and decide
accordingly. I know that if I see a player has gone for it on fourth 70% of
the time, it's not likely I'm going to accept a challenge from that person.

Stay loose and wait 'til the servers get fixed. I know that might be hard
for you to do, but try nevertheless. :)

Alanb

"Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote in message
servers operable. I try
> a few times here and there and then give up. Had a game going yesterday,
> lag free, and was up 10-0 until my opponent, a
> Vick-scrambling-I-go-on-every-fourth-down kid, disconnected (quit).
>
> I should learn. Next time someone goes on fourth down, I should quit
right
> then and there. Football game servers ought to tally how often a player
> goes for it on fourth down, so that others can see it and decide
> accordingly. I know that if I see a player has gone for it on fourth 70%
of
> the time, it's not likely I'm going to accept a challenge from that
person.

Alan,

I haven't played any pro football games online (NCAA only). I keep hearing
this recurring theme of cheesers taking the Falcons and Michael Vick,
scrambling on every down, never punting. That would get old in a hurry.
I'm curious, what do the cheesers do on defense and is there anything you
can do to counter it?

> Stay loose and wait 'til the servers get fixed. I know that might be hard
> for you to do, but try nevertheless. :)

I can't resist this one at $19.95. I'm nowhere near the pro fan that I am
for college football, but this one will not only give me a console pro
football game, but a gameplay style alternative to NCAA Football. BTW, it's
sounding more and more like I'll be passing on NCAA 2005 this year. I know
a number of guys who say the gameplay of 2004 is better. I'm an old fogey
who can't turn his football hormones until September so I've got time to
weigh the variables.

Poldy

In article <pmrMc.158358$JR4.105168@attbi_s54>,
"Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote:

> I should learn. Next time someone goes on fourth down, I should quit right
> then and there. Football game servers ought to tally how often a player
> goes for it on fourth down, so that others can see it and decide
> accordingly. I know that if I see a player has gone for it on fourth 70% of
> the time, it's not likely I'm going to accept a challenge from that person.

I believe NCAA does this.

"John Cauthen" <johnrc@comporium.net> wrote in message

> "Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote in message
> servers operable. I try
> > a few times here and there and then give up. Had a game going
yesterday,
> > lag free, and was up 10-0 until my opponent, a
> > Vick-scrambling-I-go-on-every-fourth-down kid, disconnected (quit).
> >
> > I should learn. Next time someone goes on fourth down, I should quit
> right
> > then and there. Football game servers ought to tally how often a player
> > goes for it on fourth down, so that others can see it and decide
> > accordingly. I know that if I see a player has gone for it on fourth
70%
> of
> > the time, it's not likely I'm going to accept a challenge from that
> person.
>
> Alan,
>
> I haven't played any pro football games online (NCAA only). I keep
hearing
> this recurring theme of cheesers taking the Falcons and Michael Vick,
> scrambling on every down, never punting. That would get old in a hurry.
> I'm curious, what do the cheesers do on defense and is there anything you
> can do to counter it?

Actually, these cheesers, at least the ones I've played, do nothing on
defense. They are only hoping they can score more points and win. Using
the Spy feature is one thing that can be done to counter these Vick
scramblers. A good defense can always stop that type of offense: it's so
very predictable.

> > Stay loose and wait 'til the servers get fixed. I know that might be
hard
> > for you to do, but try nevertheless. :)
>
> I can't resist this one at $19.95. I'm nowhere near the pro fan that I am
> for college football, but this one will not only give me a console pro
> football game, but a gameplay style alternative to NCAA Football. BTW,
it's
> sounding more and more like I'll be passing on NCAA 2005 this year. I
know
> a number of guys who say the gameplay of 2004 is better. I'm an old fogey
> who can't turn his football hormones until September so I've got time to
> weigh the variables.

I have NCAA 2005 and like ESPN NFL 2K5 much better. It'll be hard for me to
pass on Madden, so I think I'll just trade NCAA in for Madden 2005.

> Actually, these cheesers, at least the ones I've played, do nothing on
> defense. They are only hoping they can score more points and win. Using
> the Spy feature is one thing that can be done to counter these Vick
> scramblers. A good defense can always stop that type of offense: it's so
> very predictable.

I played Madden 2003 (PC) online and I found it impossible to stop the Vick
scramble attack. How do you do it in NFK 2K5? Maybe the AI gives you
enough help to where it's possible for average gamers to have a chance at
stopping it?

> I have NCAA 2005 and like ESPN NFL 2K5 much better. It'll be hard for me
> pass on Madden, so I think I'll just trade NCAA in for Madden 2005.

I hope so... a lot of people whose opinions I trust are really down on NCAA
2005. I guess I'll just look for some NCAA 2004 roster updates and go with
that. There are rumors of a patch for the XBox version of NCAA 2005, but I
wonder just how far they are willing to go in patching a console game? It's
highly conceivable for XBox owners with access to XBL, but is it economical?
I can see the logic for patching the online play features and functionality,
but the core game engine... I don't know?

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
> In article <pmrMc.158358$JR4.105168@attbi_s54>,
> "Alan Bernardo" <master@oforion.net> wrote:
>
> > I should learn. Next time someone goes on fourth down, I should quit
right
> > then and there. Football game servers ought to tally how often a player
> > goes for it on fourth down, so that others can see it and decide
> > accordingly. I know that if I see a player has gone for it on fourth
70% of
> > the time, it's not likely I'm going to accept a challenge from that
person.

> I believe NCAA does this.

Yep, with their "fair play" feature turned on (enabled and locked on for
ranked games). It grays out the playbook and forces you to punt when you
should be, doesn't let you go for 2pt conversions when you don't need them,
stuff like that.