nForce 4 temp too high

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Lavalyst Everest, Motherboard Monitor and SpeedFan reported the NB temp of my Biostar NF4ST-A9 (Rev 1.0) is 127 degree celcius (thermistor)/ ~97 (diode) :sweat: . When I touch the heatsink (with the darn little fan spinning), it felt kind of hot...I've never seen something like this (ie nb this hot) :eek: .Any idea? Is this board failing? Should i just change the TIM/ NB HSF with an aftermarket alternative(s)? I overclocked the system in the past (minor OC; 1.8GHz --> 2.4xGHz on air) with no problem whatsoever; now I've returned it to normal clocking. Thanks :)

<--| AMD Athlon64 3000+ <+> Biostar NF4ST-A9 Rev 1.0 <+> GigaByte Neon 8-Pro Cooler <+> iCute 480W PSU <+> Apacer 512MB DDR400 x 2 (Dual Ch.) <+> Jetway ATi Radeon x550 PCie <+> Diamond Monster Sound <+> Maxtor 6L250SO 250GB 16MB Cache <+> LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM <+> Samsung DVD+-RW DL/RAM |-->

tymik

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
nF4 are hot, agree. But 127C with fan - omg. Direct a 120mm fan at mobo heatsink and check if the thermistor temp changes. If it does, think of purchase of smth more effective.

I think the sensor is not reading right(or there is no sensor attached)...can you touch the heatsink?(on the side) if you can hold your finger there for 10 seconds or so...its not over even 60.....

In rare cases the TIM is no good...that would cause a cool heatsink yet a hot chipet....is it unstable? if its stable...then don't worry about it....

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
127*C is wrong reading from your diode. The mobo has the defect. You cant touch that temp without hurting your skin. That's steam temperature, your PC should have little smoke on that, some pvc cannot withstand that high. Most PC parts are designed upto 70-80*c

I think it will take a little more then that :)

my friend had his cpu over 100c(just over but it was over and that was the socket sensor not an integrated)
I have also put video cards over 100 as well

Not saying its that hot....after all it would have to be unstable that way....

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Yes, I can still hold my finger for a while there, so I'm sure it is not steamy hot :)...May be it's (quite) fine, but I think I'll be getting my old 'baby' a new HSF for it's MCP...and new & better TIM too....but there's not much choice here, and scarcely available...