Nforce 630i/7100 incorrect memory reported in XP

mooty

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Windows XP display properties and directX diagnostics reports 512mb of ram for my onboard video when I'm only sharing 256mb. If I use a utility such as GPU-Z, it reports the correct amount of ram. I've been having some system stability issues ever since i put this box together and i wondered if anyone knew of this being a potential problem? Perhaps windows is trying to utilize video memory that is not there?

mooty

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/269509-31-instability-probs

I had odd boot-up errors with win2k that I could not reproduce except on a cold boot(after some time had passed), not the same with XP, but the one common thing between the two is that certain web content(youtube is easiest to reproduce the problem with) causes my browser to crash. I've tried a handful of browsers including ie6, ie8, firefox and opera. They all behave the same way. Also, the activex plug-in that microsoft uses for the windows 7 RC will blue screen and reboot my computer.

I spent several hours gaming on the win2k install without any hang-ups at all. It's really strange.

I'm at the point now where I'm using very modest ram timing and underclocked my GPU from 600 to 500mhz... same problems. More details are in the linked post.

mooty

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
no, my system has 2gb, 256mb worth is shared out to the onboard GPU... windows(display properties, dx diag) says 512mb. programs like gpuz say 256mb. you should have read the linked post.. this is why i post all details, and yet, poor reading comprehension or lack of reading still persists.

mooty

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Don't speak for everyone else, just make a better effort to read details and respond rather than make an impulse response -- which is more often than not the problem with getting your tech support from a forum.

btw.. i did get help, problem solved, and it wasn't at all user error. :p

mooty

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
In other words, I received help from a competent PC user like myself. One who wasn't zipping and zooming and flying high on some substance that causes cognitive impairment.