G

hi all,

I've never built a pc before and would like to start now.
I am deciding whether to wait for Nforce or to get a k7-master MOBO. i've heard that Nforce has inbuilt geforce2 graphics and a good sound processor. Will the Nforce priced sky high? If so, i may as well get the alternative of separate mobo, sound cards and graphics.

Thanks
taiko

forgettythatty

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2001
Nforce chipset are about $50 a piece. A normal motherboard is about $160. I would guess about $200 for an Nforce one. You should wait. and even if you get one now, don't get the k7 master

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since your waiting anyway, you'll have a chance to see how the nForce compares to the new SiS 735. Both are looking like king of the hill compared to what's available now, and both will be well reviewed over the next few months. The nForce has what's considered to be the most advanced sound processor even to grace a PC.

Video killed my Radio Card!

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the nforce boards will have built in 5.1 with optical out if i remember correctly... which will solve a lot of problems... around when is the release date? im going to try something very ironic... nforce mobo running an R200... need the ddr bandwidth... and having a backup geforce 2 isnt exactly what id call annoying...

if in doubt blame microsoft...

zengeos

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2001
Based on the preview motherboards which a few sites got to play with a little, nForce should offer a noticeable performance boos over current boards and chipsets for Athlon.

The two best alternatives are ALi Magick Rev B0 and SiS735 based motherboards. You need to be very careful as to the ALi Magick boards because they may or may not advertise the Rev a particular board has, etc...so be sure to ask.

Mark-

When all else fails, throw your computer out the window!!!

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
nForce is costly, but it does justify teh cost. first, it promises a whole lot of performance which is supposed to surpass even the best DDR chipsets available today. the new bridge link gives 1.2 GB/sec transfer between the bridges. it hosts a GeForce2 MX core and does away with shared memory (ok it does use shared memory, but its twin-bank architecture does rule out most of the bandwidth contention that occurs in todays 810s and 815s and KM133s and SiS730s!) and have a state of art sound hardware!!!

i guess it will be well worth its price. wait for it!

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

Ozymandyus

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2001
From what I've read and been advised, the nForce will do everything but wash your windows. However, there's a lot of question as to when it will actually come out...

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
windows doesnt need a wash, it can wash out a even perfect system.
Ctrl+Alt+Del

G

Thanx guys for the comments.
I think i'll go for the safer approach of buying now. I guess i'll not go wrong with proven technologies, and they are cheaper too. Any recommendation for a cheap and reliable mobo? how about MSI's k7t266pro?

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'd stay away from VIA, but this has a newer southbridge so it might be a better choice. Asus A7A266 seems to be better.