NFSU won't run on my PC

Hi

My newly purchased copy of Need For Speed Underground installs fine on
my PC (Windows XP), but then won't run. A splash screen of sorts
(rectangle box with the "Need For Speed Underground" logo at the top)
is displayed for about 5 seconds before disappearing, at which point
the CD (Disk 2) spins for a few more seconds and then ... nothing.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm really looking forward to
playing the game.

TIA.

Richard

> My newly purchased copy of Need For Speed Underground installs fine on
> my PC (Windows XP), but then won't run. A splash screen of sorts
> (rectangle box with the "Need For Speed Underground" logo at the top)
> is displayed for about 5 seconds before disappearing, at which point
> the CD (Disk 2) spins for a few more seconds and then ... nothing.
>
> Any help would be appreciated, as I'm really looking forward to
> playing the game.

I guess there isn't any error message displayed... or you'd have mentioned
that.

So let's start with the routine checks...

1. Have you installed the latest video and audio drivers?
2. Have you run DirectX diagnosis and are there any problems reported?
3. Can you run other games, especially ones using 3D?

> I guess there isn't any error message displayed... or you'd have mentioned
> that.
>
> So let's start with the routine checks...
>
> 1. Have you installed the latest video and audio drivers?
> 2. Have you run DirectX diagnosis and are there any problems reported?
> 3. Can you run other games, especially ones using 3D?

KC

Thanks for your reply. After I got it, I went back and had a look at
the NFSU system requirements. I'm starting to think my videocard
and/or my soundcard are not compatible. What do you think?

My videocard is the PC Chips AG315-64 (SiS 315 chipset). My soundcard
is the nForce (Realtek ALC650 chipset) embedded in my Asus A7N8X-X
motherboard.

To answer you questions...

> I guess there isn't any error message displayed
No message I'm afraid.

> Have you installed the latest video and audio drivers?
I've searched the web, but can't find any newer updates.

> Have you run DirectX diagnosis and are there any problems reported?
Just run it. Here are the results.

BTW I currently have version 9.0b installed.

DirectX Files -
* No problems found.

Display -
* Hardware accelerated Direct3D 9+ is not available because the
display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer
driver from the hardware manufacturer.
* DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
* Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful.
* Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.
* Direct3D 9 test results: Display driver does not support API (DDI
version too low)

Sound -
* All the Software Buffering tests passed, but a dialog box displayed
a message saying that my soundcard doesn't support hardware buffering.

Music -
* DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.

Input -
* No problems found.

> Can you run other games, especially ones using 3D?
This is an easy one. This is the first game - of any sort - I have
installed. I'm not a gamer, but I liked the look of NFSU so much I
decided to buy it.

Looking forward to your response.

Cheers,
Richard

> Thanks for your reply. After I got it, I went back and had a look at
> the NFSU system requirements. I'm starting to think my videocard
> and/or my soundcard are not compatible. What do you think?

You're probably correct. Here's the system req. of NFSU:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
===========================
Windows 98, 98 Second Edition, ME, 2000 Professional, XP Professional,
or XP Home operating system
Intel Pentium III (or compatible) CPU running at 700Mhz or higher
32MB DirectX 9 compatible video card (Geforce2 or higher) using a
supported chipset (see below)
128MB of RAM (256 MB using Windows 2000 or XP)
DirectX compatible sound card
2 GB of HD space
8X CD-ROM

VIDEO CARD SUPPORT
==================

Although Direct3D is supported, this support is only officially
extended to certain 3D accelerator devices. The following major D3D
chipsets are supported

ATI Radeon 7500 or greater
Intel i865
Matrox Parhelia
NVidia geForce2 or greater
SiS Xabre 400

While Direct3D supports a wider variety of 3D accelerator devices, the
behavior of NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND cannot be predicted in these
situations. In extreme cases, running NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND with
a Direct3D device that is not officially supported can lead to an
unstable PC environment.

Under Direct3D, the performance of NEED FOR SPEED UNDERGROUND (in both
graphics AND audio) is influenced greatly by the Direct3D driver
versions that are installed. It is highly recommended that the latest
versions of all video card and sound card drivers be obtained and
installed. Please consult your hardware manufacturer for their newest
drivers. Also, keep in mind that video chip manufacturers sometimes
provide drivers in addition to the card manufacturer.

from NFSU readme file.

> My videocard is the PC Chips AG315-64 (SiS 315 chipset). My soundcard
> is the nForce (Realtek ALC650 chipset) embedded in my Asus A7N8X-X
> motherboard.
>
> BTW I currently have version 9.0b installed.
>
> Display -
> * Hardware accelerated Direct3D 9+ is not available because the
> display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer
> driver from the hardware manufacturer.
> * DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful.
> * Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful.
> * Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful.
> * Direct3D 9 test results: Display driver does not support API (DDI
> version too low)

That's the problem lies... NFSU requires a DirectX9 compatible video card.

I found these drivers available on the PCChips website:
http://www.pcchips.com.tw/PCCWeb/Downloads/Archive_Download.aspx?CategoryID=5&MenuID=81&LanID=0
There're two matches - AG315T-64(v1.1) and AG315T-64(v1.1c).

After reading the manuals, it doesn't said the card is Dx9 compatible - it
said it's compatible to Dx8 only.

I searched a while with the chip's name (AG315), but didn't find anything
information.

Rgds,

KC

KC

One last thing. Like I said, I'm not a great gamer, but I guess once
I've played NFSU, I'll proabably want to play a few more games. Which
of the chipsets supported by NFSU (below) would you therefore advise
me to opt for, keeping in mind other games on the market. BTW I don't
want to break the bank.

> ATI Radeon 7500 or greater
> Intel i865
> Matrox Parhelia
> NVidia geForce2 or greater
> SiS Xabre 400

Cheers,
rt.

Tim

Go for a Radeon 9800 Pro - it's very good value for money right now (<
200$).

- Tim

"rt" <richardtandoh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> KC
>
> One last thing. Like I said, I'm not a great gamer, but I guess once
> I've played NFSU, I'll proabably want to play a few more games. Which
> of the chipsets supported by NFSU (below) would you therefore advise
> me to opt for, keeping in mind other games on the market. BTW I don't
> want to break the bank.
>

> > ATI Radeon 7500 or greater
> > Intel i865
> > Matrox Parhelia
> > NVidia geForce2 or greater
> > SiS Xabre 400
> >

> Cheers,
> rt.

mort

Yup, the "integrated" video chips won't do most higher end games
anymore. Basically, if it aint on it's own AGP card *or* doesn't have
a big heatsink and fan on the video chipset it isn't powerful enough
and probably lacks many required 3d functions.

--Mort
Gforce Ti200 in wife's system (oldie but goodie)
ATI 9500 Pro in mine

On 28 Jul 2004 16:25:41 -0700, richardtandoh@yahoo.com (rt) wrote:

>Hi
>
>My newly purchased copy of Need For Speed Underground installs fine on
>my PC (Windows XP), but then won't run. A splash screen of sorts
>(rectangle box with the "Need For Speed Underground" logo at the top)
>is displayed for about 5 seconds before disappearing, at which point
>the CD (Disk 2) spins for a few more seconds and then ... nothing.
>
>Any help would be appreciated, as I'm really looking forward to
>playing the game.
>
>TIA.
>
>Richard

> Go for a Radeon 9800 Pro - it's very good value for money right now (<
> 200$).

Radeon chips are nice - cheap and fast. The Radeon cards' colour are usually
slightly better than NVidia cards too.

But there's always to compatibility problem... I've heard more technical
problems with ATI drivers than NVidia drivers in many game forums. Also
there're quite a few problems specific to ATI drivers.

I'm not saying that ATI drivers has bugs... it could be that ATI drivers are
following the standard, it's just the games that aren't. Also those ATI
driver specific problems do get solved eventually.

Just balance between your budget and power/features wanted :)

Also know that a powerful graphics card isn't going to solve all gaming
performance problem... your CPU, RAM and HDD have major effects on that too.

KC

Mort <Mort@NoEmailPlease.org> wrote in message news:<umklg0pmomuv58a46dr5097s1lfej5ds5e@4ax.com>...
> Yup, the "integrated" video chips won't do most higher end games
> anymore. Basically, if it aint on it's own AGP card *or* doesn't have
> a big heatsink and fan on the video chipset it isn't powerful enough
> and probably lacks many required 3d functions.
>
> --Mort
> Gforce Ti200 in wife's system (oldie but goodie)
> ATI 9500 Pro in mine

Guys

FYI I'm not using an integrated video card. It is a PC Chips AG315-64
(SiS 315 chipset) 4x AGP card.

Having read your comments, I'm thinking of getting either of the
following:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63689

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58277

I'm assuming a Geforce Mx4000 is higher than a Geforce2 (the minimum
for NFSU). Is that corret?

Also, my motherboard (Asus A7N8X-X) has an 8x AGP slot, but only at
1.5V. Does that mean that I won't really gain any benefit over an
above using a 4x card?

TIA.

rt.

> Having read your comments, I'm thinking of getting either of the
> following:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=63689

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=58277

> I'm assuming a Geforce Mx4000 is higher than a Geforce2 (the minimum
> for NFSU). Is that corret?

AIUI, the MX series of Geforce cards were ment to be a budget version of
Geforce 4 cards but they turned out to be no better than Geforce 2 ones
except they could use DirectX 9.

Out of the two cards you are looking at I would get the Radeon one or look
for a Geforce FX5200. I have an Asus FX5200 and NFSU runs fine on it.

Adam S

> > I'm assuming a Geforce Mx4000 is higher than a Geforce2 (the minimum
> > for NFSU). Is that corret?
> >

> AIUI, the MX series of Geforce cards were ment to be a budget version of
> Geforce 4 cards but they turned out to be no better than Geforce 2 ones
> except they could use DirectX 9.
>
> Out of the two cards you are looking at I would get the Radeon one or look
> for a Geforce FX5200. I have an Asus FX5200 and NFSU runs fine on it.
>
> Adam S

Thanks for the recommendation Adam. Will look into it. Have you
tried it with Halo, by any chance? (That's another game I'm
interested in.)

Also, can anyone help me out re. the fact that my motherboard (Asus
A7N8X-X) has an 8x AGP slot, but only at 1.5V. Does that mean that I
won't really gain any benefit over an above using a 4x card?

Cheers.

rt.

> > > I'm assuming a Geforce Mx4000 is higher than a Geforce2 (the minimum
> > > for NFSU). Is that corret?
> > >

> > AIUI, the MX series of Geforce cards were ment to be a budget version of
> > Geforce 4 cards but they turned out to be no better than Geforce 2 ones
> > except they could use DirectX 9.
> >
> > Out of the two cards you are looking at I would get the Radeon one or
look
> > for a Geforce FX5200. I have an Asus FX5200 and NFSU runs fine on it.
> >
> > Adam S
>
> Thanks for the recommendation Adam. Will look into it. Have you
> tried it with Halo, by any chance? (That's another game I'm
> interested in.)

I have tried Halo but my CPU (Athlon 1.3GHz) is not up to it even though the
graphics card is.

I know this is the CPU holding me back here as I tried it on my work PC
which has a slower graphics card but a faster CPU (Celeron 2GHz, MX460
graphics) and Halo runs fine on that.

My work PC is now a P4 2.8GHz, FX5600 and will run NFSU great, Halo great,
UT2004 great and Doom 3 OK (as long as it is not pushed too high in detail).
I wonder if work would notice me swapping my personal PC for their
one.........

Adam S

"Adam S" <as538nospam@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<cevvuf$oar$1@pegasus.csx.cam.ac.uk>...
> "rt" <richardtandoh@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > AIUI, the MX series of Geforce cards were ment to be a budget version of
> > > Geforce 4 cards but they turned out to be no better than Geforce 2 ones
> > > except they could use DirectX 9.
> > >
> > > Out of the two cards you are looking at I would get the Radeon one or
> look
> > > for a Geforce FX5200. I have an Asus FX5200 and NFSU runs fine on it.
> > >
> > > Adam S
> >
> > Thanks for the recommendation Adam. Will look into it. Have you
> > tried it with Halo, by any chance? (That's another game I'm
> > interested in.)
> >

> I have tried Halo but my CPU (Athlon 1.3GHz) is not up to it even though the
> graphics card is.
>
> I know this is the CPU holding me back here as I tried it on my work PC
> which has a slower graphics card but a faster CPU (Celeron 2GHz, MX460
> graphics) and Halo runs fine on that.
>
> My work PC is now a P4 2.8GHz, FX5600 and will run NFSU great, Halo great,
> UT2004 great and Doom 3 OK (as long as it is not pushed too high in detail).
> I wonder if work would notice me swapping my personal PC for their
>
> Adam S

Thanks again.