[SOLVED] NH-D15 CPU Fan + i9 9900k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2020
Hi guys, I switched my AIO to NH-D15 CPU Fan, my CPU i9 9900k usually hits 80-85 temps during gaming w/ AIO turns out it's still the same for the NH-D15 CPU Fan, but now the fan's speed up every time I play a game to the point that it makes a loud noise, what is the safest fan speed to avoid that noise and still maintain 85 temps?

Solution
1)Unless the game(s) you play run AVX - that's high for any other game.
I'd question chassis airflow or the cooler mounting.

2)You set your own fan curve, one involving higher fan rpm.
A tip: a narrower curve of 1000-1200rpm is easier on the ears than a 800-1200rpm one.

3)There is no 'safe speed'. Fans are designed by the manufacturers for constant 100% operation.
I'm really hoping you're kidding, but just in case you're not, the answer is, there isn't one. The CPU cooler runs at the speed it needs to run at based on whatever preset profile or custom curve you have selected. If your temps are at 85°C with the fans at max speed, then there ISN'T any lower speed that you can safely run it at because you are already five degrees past the recommended MAXIMUM safe temperature for daily driver usage.

The only way your CPU should be running at 85° is if you are running a thermal stress test like Prime95 Small FFT or some application that is using AVX instructions. For normal usage, especially just gaming, you should NEVER see temps like that.

Either you have insufficient airflow through the case to supply the CPU cooler or you have a poorly or wrongly mounted heatsink. Or an overclock that is too much for reality.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador

A tip: a narrower curve of 1000-1200rpm is easier on the ears than a 800-1200rpm one.

3)There is no 'safe speed'. Fans are designed by the manufacturers for constant 100% operation.

Solution
Nov 17, 2020
I'm really hoping you're kidding, but just in case you're not, the answer is, there isn't one. The CPU cooler runs at the speed it needs to run at based on whatever preset profile or custom curve you have selected. If your temps are at 85°C with the fans at max speed, then there ISN'T any lower speed that you can safely run it at because you are already five degrees past the recommended MAXIMUM safe temperature for daily driver usage.

The only way your CPU should be running at 85° is if you are running a thermal stress test like Prime95 Small FFT or some application that is using AVX instructions. For normal usage, especially just gaming, you should NEVER see temps like that.

Either you have insufficient airflow through the case to supply the CPU cooler or you have a poorly or wrongly mounted heatsink. Or an overclock that is too much for reality.
not kidding, not really good at computer stuff trying to figure out things as i go , as i did my research they said its normal for i9 9900k to reach 85 temps when gaming, when i had AIO on it reaches 85 , switched to NH-D15 fan hoping to reduce temps down, sadly no change and now i have to deal with loud fans when gaming =/

Nov 17, 2020

thanks , i guess il have to switch back to AIO

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nov 8, 2020
I run the same system set up as far as cooler and cpu. i had similar issue. i made sure all the fans on cpu blew to back of the case thu my noctua. person who installed it for me has them blowing forward. i switched them around. and i also have 2 fans top of case blowing down in and 2 fans in the front blowing in and 1 fan in the back blowing out. all noctua fans. there like 78 cfm. except the two front fans are corsair stock. i have the front top fan hooked up to the pump fan connector. so it throttles with cpu. then i went into bios and changed the throttle to 1200rpm max. no longer sounds like a jet plane either, and im running at like 65 degrees when i game. its insane what a difference made. i have my cpu over clocked to 4.9 not five.

What is the make/model of your case, and what is the fan arrangement?
What was your aio, and how was the radiator mounted?
A NH-D15 has two radiator stacks which are comparable in size to a 240 aio radiator.
Cooling should be comparable.
It takes a 360 aio to do better.

The key to good cooling on air is a simple front to back airflow.
Normally, this will give you good cpu cooling, but there are other benefits.
Your motherboard and graphics card will be cooled better.
If the front intake is the only intake source and if it is filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.

Mounting a aio radiator is a bit of a catch 22.
If you mount the radiator in front as intake, your cpu will be cooled best.
But your graphics card and motherboard will get warm air to work with.

OTOH, if you mount the radiator on top exhausting air, your graphics card and motherboard will be happier, but your cpu will not do so well.

I run the same system set up as far as cooler and cpu. i had similar issue. i made sure all the fans on cpu blew to back of the case thu my noctua. person who installed it for me has them blowing forward. i switched them around. and i also have 2 fans top of case blowing down in and 2 fans in the front blowing in and 1 fan in the back blowing out. all noctua fans. there like 78 cfm. except the two front fans are corsair stock. i have the front top fan hooked up to the pump fan connector. so it throttles with cpu. then i went into bios and changed the throttle to 1200rpm max. no longer sounds like a jet plane either, and im running at like 65 degrees when i game. its insane what a difference made. i have my cpu over clocked to 4.9 not five.
I hate to have to tell you, but that configuration is wrong. Completely wrong.

Front, bottom and side fans should be intake (In) like you have it, however, top fans should NEVER be intake. Ever. Under any circumstances, if we are talking about any kind of tower case whether with a top or bottom mounted power supply. The top of the case is where the MOST heat is located, and putting any intake fans there results in blowing hot air back down onto components, rather than sucking it out of the case. Even if there were no intake fans installed, at all, having any top fans configured to be exhaust fans would be desirable, in exactly the same way and for exactly the same reasons as having the rear fan configured to be an exhaust fan. Which is also an "always" situation.

Also, if you are using an air cooler rather than an AIO or open loop, you really don't want to populate the middle or front fan locations in the top of the case even if they ARE configured as exhaust fans because you end up "stealing" much of the cool ambient air coming in from your intake fans and take it right directly back out of the case before it even has a chance to reach the memory, CPU cooler or VRMs, and essentially doing nothing at all to help cool your components.

It is better to have only a rear and a top rear exhaust fan when using an air cooler, in my experience. But, it is absolutely better to have fans installed in the top location configured to be exhaust fans if you are going to put them there and run them anyhow, than it is to ever consider running top fans as intakes. That simply runs counter to ALL recommended configurations and best practices across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.