NH-D15 Fans Question

Joe Jones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
Hi guys, long time lurker here.

I have a Fractal R4 case and a Noctua NH-D15 cooler for my Z77 Extreme 4 motherboard. With my current fan setup, the second PWM fan on the cooler (above the RAM) is blowing air towards the back of the case, with the fan in the middle of the cooler doing the same, and out through the back of the case through the rear case fan. Does this sound about right?

Also, my NH-D15 is very loud. I was surprised at how loud it was even after sliding the cover on the R4. I even have the Low Noise Adapter on both CPU fans and the case fans. Any idea why that's happening? Thanks guys.

Solution

Everything sounds normal mate :) Just monitor your temps and make sure...

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
That sounds about correct - Directing all the heatsink airflow toward the rear fan located at the back of the case :)

That is weird... The Noctua fans are very silent and they offer very good airflow. I recommend seeing if the fans are stuck running at 100% and see if they are defective fans. Also one question, where did you plug in those fans? Through the Molex?

Joe Jones

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014

Yeah, they were blasting at 100% (1500 RPM), I changed the fan speed in my BIOS to the minimum and set it to increase when the CPU requires more cooling, almost silent now and running at 765 RPM or so. Is that a normal speed? The fans are plugged into the CPU Fan 1 and CPU Fan 2 headers.

Andrei_316

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013

Everything sounds normal mate :) Just monitor your temps and make sure they don't pass the max. Also take off the adapter, you don't need that anymore ;)

Solution