[SOLVED] NH-D15 method of installation.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2720853
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2720853

I'm having doubts about how should I go with installing the cooler for my next upgrade in a few weeks, which is as follows:

Motherboard: Z390 Aorus Pro => B550 Aorus Pro
Cooler: Thermaltake UX200 => Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black
CPU: i7-8700 => Ryzen 9 3900x
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500DX
RAM: low profile Corsair Vengeance LPX

Obviously, I'll install the RAM and CPU outside of the case first. Here are my options regarding the cooler:

1. Install the AM4 mounting brackets outside of the case, then putting the motherboard in, get it screwed into the standoffs easily and wiring everything up, and only then installing the heatsink and fans of the NH-D15. I'm thinking to go with this because getting the CPU power connector in afterwards is going to be a huge pain. I also don't want the beautiful beast of a cooler to get in the way of my workflow while I'm wiring things. Don't get me started on the standoffs...

My current air cooler (Thermaltake UX200) has the most godawful mounting mechanism I've experienced so far, the cooler is sagging too. From what I've seen in the installation videos, this cooler is a hundred times more easier to install even when inside the case.

OR

2. Install the entire cooler outside of the case, then place the motherboard in and painstakinly screw in the standoffs and wire everything up.

What do you think?

Few more questions about the NH-D15 for the Noctua enthusiasts out there (Looking at you, Phaaze):

• Do I receive an allen key for the screws in the NH-D15 Chromax Black package from Noctua so I don't have to worry about my current screwdriver not being "practical" enough?
  • Does the NH-D15 Chromax Black (sold on Amazon) come with AM4 mounting kits? I see a warning on Noctua's website when checking CPU compatibility about "coolers purchased before 2019 need to buy AM4 mounting kit separately".

My other option is the Dark Rock Pro 4 but honestly after seeing how it wobbles after installation and how hard it is to install, I'd rather go Noctua and be done with it.

Solution
I actually can't help you with the first 2 points, because of my motherboard; X299 already has a backplate, so 1/3rd of the process is done for me...

My current air cooler (Thermaltake UX200) has the most godawful mounting mechanism I've experienced so far, the cooler is sagging too.
I think I understand where you're coming from here. Several months ago, I bought this cooler, looking to possible replace the NH-D15S.
Big ol' 320w TDP VS the D15S' 250w, and it's Thermalright... *sigh, was I disappointed afterwards...

I tried different paste applications, I tried various fan setups and speeds - going through an entire tube of thermal paste - but no matter what I did, the D15S got better thermals overall. WHAT THE FUDGE...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I actually can't help you with the first 2 points, because of my motherboard; X299 already has a backplate, so 1/3rd of the process is done for me...

My current air cooler (Thermaltake UX200) has the most godawful mounting mechanism I've experienced so far, the cooler is sagging too.
I think I understand where you're coming from here. Several months ago, I bought this cooler, looking to possible replace the NH-D15S.
Big ol' 320w TDP VS the D15S' 250w, and it's Thermalright... *sigh, was I disappointed afterwards...

I tried different paste applications, I tried various fan setups and speeds - going through an entire tube of thermal paste - but no matter what I did, the D15S got better thermals overall. WHAT THE FUDGE.
There were some test samples where the IB-E was able to match it, but did so while being significantly louder - not quite IPPC 3000 loud though.
I wanted to like this cooler too;
-the mounting hardware is just as good as Noctua's, except for the very last step
-the fan clips for the center fan are a bit more tedious to use
-the TY-143 fans are on par with the NF-A15s at the same speed(1500rpm), but the higher rpms don't seem to help.

I may still use it anyway, IDK...

Does the NH-D15 Chromax Black (sold on Amazon) come with AM4 mounting kits? I see a warning on Noctua's website when checking CPU compatibility about "coolers purchased before 2019 need to buy AM4 mounting kit separately".
Chromax Black was introduced in 2019, so they should already have it.

My other option is the Dark Rock Pro 4 but honestly after seeing how it wobbles after installation and how hard it is to install, I'd rather go Noctua and be done with it.
I've only got experience using the Dark Rock 4. I found the fan a little difficult to install and I managed to cut myself on the thing a couple times...

Solution
D

Deleted member 2720853

I actually can't help you with the first 2 points, because of my motherboard; X299 already has a backplate.
Don't all AM4 boards have one? If you were in my situation which one of the two options would you choose? Keep in mind installing standoffs and wiring some things will be incredibly difficult with the cooler inside the case already.

It looks as if I can easily place the NH-D15 heatsink on the CPU once the mobo is in the case and screw it in to the mounting hardware with the allen key much more easily than installing the cooler I have now. All that comes next should be the fans which should be easy considering Noctua made human-interactable fan clips unlike the DRP4. Then, I would be ready to see this beast in action. CPU fan headers wont be a problem, they're placed slightly higher than the CPU heatsink on this board.

Any flaws with the way I'm going about this? I know you're supposed to install as much as possible on the mobo before you put it in the case but I might just make an exception here.

And yeah, never buying air coolers from Thermaltake again... never felt confident about that pushpin method of mounting, not to mention the cooler itself is leaning down as well... It felt like I was about to break the mobo trying to get it locked in place. To this day I still don't know if that thing is mounted right or if it's supposed to be like that, never dared to take it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've almost always found that installing the HSF outside of the case to be much easier and especially so with some of the larger ones like my Be Quiet DRP4. There's next to no way to install it cleanly or easily with the mobo in the case. I know that the mounting for the DH15 is easier than what I have but I'd still consider putting everything together outside and then slowly, carefully, dropping everything into place.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Don't all AM4 boards have one? If you were in my situation which one of the two options would you choose? Keep in mind installing standoffs and wiring some things will be incredibly difficult with the cooler inside the case already.
It's removable though, and for some coolers' mounting hardware, the initial plate needs to be removed.
The one on mine, it isn't designed to be removed:
boardback.jpg
No need to remove it with Noctua, from the looks of it:
https://noctua.at/en/nm-am4-mounting-kit/video

Any flaws with the way I'm going about this? I know you're supposed to install as much as possible on the mobo before you put it in the case but I might just make an exception here.
Huh... that one's news to me. I installed my motherboard pretty much naked, and then installed everything else... ¯\(ツ)
Install the psu
Install the mobo into the chassis
Install ram
Install Add-in cards - if any
Plug the cpu power and the cooler fans
Plug the other fan headers and peripherals
Install the gpu and connect the power cables to it

D

Deleted member 2720853

After watching countless NH-D15 installation videos it seems I'm just gonna be able to install the cooler outside of the case and use the screwdriver Noctua provides to get to the standoffs since my current screwdriver is on the short side. I don't know why I was so terrified of installing this cooler. This whole process seems 1000 times easier than the, ugh, current cooler I have. I'm not looking forward to getting this cooler off my board and putting it in a box along with the board.

Thanks for the replies, I think I'll just install it outside and figure everything else out myself.

D

Deleted member 2720853

Hold up, I just read that Noctua gives you free fan replacements on their coolers for 6 years and free mounting kits for sockets. Is this true, @Phaaze88 ?

D

Deleted member 2720853

6 year warranty and free mounting kit upgrades.
I'm starting to really like Noctua... it's a plus that I'm in the same country as them.

I ended up not returning my NF-A14 fans and keeping them in case of anything or if I decide to make a new build in another case. Noctua were kind enough to send me thicker anti vibration pads for each fan too, for free.

Last edited by a moderator: