[SOLVED] NH-D15 Silent Fan Replacement

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Hello guys,

I'm considering replacing the fans on my NH-D15. I'd prefer something more silent without sacrificing much cooling.

The Case is a Fractal Design R6 Define which has decent noise dampening properties and the CPU is an i9-9900k.

The problem is that sometimes I have to encode files for days at a time and sitting next to it can be annoying. There are other solutions to that, but for now I'm hoping to just get some fans that are more efficient compared to the noise they give off.

Do more silent fans with ~equal performance and compatible with an NH-D15 exist?

Solution
Nay, folks. That's the specs of the separately sold retail fans.
The fans that come with the NH-D15 and S version are actually high airflow, 1500rpm versions of the retail model: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a15-hs-pwm-chromax-black-swap/specification (it shows Chromax, but the cooler's stock fan(s) has the exact same specs)

Quieter fans isn't really going to help here, nor is it going to be worth the investment; any quieter fans you do decide to use are going to sacrifice some cooling performance. Noctua fans are already top of the line.

Get a 360mm AIO and set a low fan curve. Problem solved.
Quieter fans will hardly change anything in this case.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The stock fans on that CPU cooler system are Noctua NF-A15 PWM. Their specs are max 1200 RPM to deliver max 69 ft³/min air flow and generate 19 dBA noise; it can work up to a backpressure of 1.5 mm water. You can compare those to the data in the table delaro has linked. In that table, the only Noctua fans that can beat those specs are their 200 mm ones, and that won't do - you need 140 mm or so. the NF-A15's actually have a not-square frame, 140 x 150., but I'm not sure you need exactly those dimensions - depends how the fans are fit into the CPU cooler frame.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nay, folks. That's the specs of the separately sold retail fans.
The fans that come with the NH-D15 and S version are actually high airflow, 1500rpm versions of the retail model: https://noctua.at/en/nf-a15-hs-pwm-chromax-black-swap/specification (it shows Chromax, but the cooler's stock fan(s) has the exact same specs)

Quieter fans isn't really going to help here, nor is it going to be worth the investment; any quieter fans you do decide to use are going to sacrifice some cooling performance. Noctua fans are already top of the line.

Get a 360mm AIO and set a low fan curve. Problem solved.
Quieter fans will hardly change anything in this case.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I suppose that could work...

But I'm now curious about whether the OP replaced the stock fans in that case, because they actually run louder than the NF-A15 HS fans: https://www.fractal-design.com/products/fans/dynamic/dynamic-x2-gp-14-pwm/black/
All in all, I think the power and silence build is doable, but it gets expensive and requires some extra planning.
-NH-D15/S can handle a 9900K at stock, but it's not going to be 'quiet', due to the lack of thermal headroom.
-R6 Define is 'meh'(passable) for airflow. Combine that with the current cpu and gpu...
-A focus on silence is going to come at the sacrifice of cooling ability.

AtotehZ

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The case fans aren't working hard. Even under sustained load. Ive removed everything unneeded in the case to improve airflow and the storage is mounted at the very bottom. I agree it could be a problem if they worked harder.

So the solution is an AIO cooler or placing it elsewhere, which is what I was referring to with "other solutions".

I have a room just behind the wall I'm facing when sitting at the computer and there's already a small hole. I just need a USB-C hub, Display Port cable and an extended power button going through.

I dislike AIO's as I've had a Corsair H80 and H100's pump fail on me. No warnings were given.

Thank you all for your suggestions. If you have any more suggestions I'd like to hear them.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
I have a room just behind the wall I'm facing when sitting at the computer and there's already a small hole. I just need a USB-C hub, Display Port cable and an extended power button going through.

If ambient noise is an issue then that is a possibility and the easiest way to go about it. As far as turning it off that is something I never do, I make use of Sleep and Hibernate and set up a time where they are on for windows updates when I am asleep. I do however have this installed on my HTPC/NAS server in the basement just in case.

SilverStone Technology 2.4G Wireless Remote Computer Power/Reset Switch $25
remote-On-Off.jpg