[SOLVED] NH-U12S for a 3900x?

Furzumz

Reputable
Please forgive my barrage of questions lately, I'm in a bit of a pickle and can't make up my mind.

My situation is my current cooler is a corsair h55 and I'd like to go with a NH-D14 to replace it but moneys gotten a bit tight recently and probably for the foreseeable future, life and all that.

So I took a look at the NH-U12S and it seems to be more affordable by comparison but will it be enough to keep my processor at a safe level under heavy / full load? I'm not looking to manually overclock, I just want something that will keep it at safe levels during games that will put it under really heavy loads.

Their site says it will provide 'medium turbo/overclock headroom' but I'm not exactly sure what that means or if that translates to safe temperature under heavier loads.

Furzumz

Reputable
I don't think it's really enough.

What country are you in?
What's your max budget?
What model case are you using (for cooler height limit)?

Thanks for taking the time out to help, I appreciate it

I'm in USA

I'd prefer not going over $70 but I understand if that's just not feasible, if need be I can say screw it and save up for the NH-D14 if you think it will be sufficient at running a 3900x at a safe level. No games I currently own are pushing my 3900x past 80c so I can wait to save up money for something better if need be

Case is a Antec 300 (technically "Antec Three Hundred") but I can't find clearance specs, not even Antec lists the case anymore on their website as far as I can tell. I put in a support ticket on their site asking for clearance info but no response yet as of 3 days in.

I know for sure it can at least fit a NH-D14 as this fellow showed in 2011 which is a 160mm cooler apparently so it looks like it can at least support 160mm

Edit - According to a comment on that video someone said they had success installing a NH-D15 as well in that case. Noctua's site lists that one at 165mm so it looks like that case can support at least 165mm

Reactions: Furzumz
Solution

Furzumz

Reputable
I'm going to throw the fortis 3 at you as an option.

Its a little known cooler but has sublime performance for the cost.

Up their in the top tier imo when it comes to 140mm towers.

Running a ryzen 7 with this and its never touched 60c even under stress testing and that's at fan speeds of a little over 1000rpm.

https://www.amazon.com/SilentiumPC-...child=1&keywords=He1425&qid=1596089800&sr=8-1

This could certainly work, thank you.

If it keeps things at a safe temperature that's more than enough for me haha