NIB WD PATA drive and slave install on new machine

bear266

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I have a NIB WD 320 GB drive and was wondering if there is a way to install this drive in a new build I'm going to be attacking shortly. The mobo is an Asus P8Z77-V PRO/THUNDERBOLT. I will be using an SSD for the boot drive and a new internal for the slave which brings up my next question, how many slave drives can you install if you have the available space in the box or is it only limited by space and power? Will the addition of another hard drive have any effect on the overall operation of the new machine?
Thanks for any advice you can supply.

Solution
Its still used when the sata ports are in IDE or Compatibility mode but we dont recommend that mode with newer operating systems and definitely not with an SSD. But for reference - in that mode you might see your sata drives listed as Channel 0 master and slave, channel 1 master and slave... corresponding to sata port 0 & 1, sata ports 1&2, ... etc. This is to maintain compatibility with older OS's which I'm sure you figured out already.

Also - be sure any ide/sata apadter you buy works with HDD's (many are optical only) and some will only work with the sata port in IDE mode so check reviews carefully.
Well, your mobo has no pata port, so you will need a pata controller to connect the old drives. The number of drives is limited to the number of ports on this card: 1 port = 2 master + 1 slave. The sata ports don't have this master/slave thing anymore: 1 port = 1 drive.

bear266

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I had no idea the master/slave thing was not used anymore. Thanks.

popatim

Titan
Its still used when the sata ports are in IDE or Compatibility mode but we dont recommend that mode with newer operating systems and definitely not with an SSD. But for reference - in that mode you might see your sata drives listed as Channel 0 master and slave, channel 1 master and slave... corresponding to sata port 0 & 1, sata ports 1&2, ... etc. This is to maintain compatibility with older OS's which I'm sure you figured out already.

Also - be sure any ide/sata apadter you buy works with HDD's (many are optical only) and some will only work with the sata port in IDE mode so check reviews carefully.

Solution

bear266

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
So much new stuff to learn! Thanks for the information. I'll see what I can find out there when I get deeper into this build next week.

bear266

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Will something like this work for my needs?
MASSCOOL XWT-PCIE11
Model XWT-PCIE11
Type PCI Express to SATA / IDE Card

Internal Ports 2 x SATA II 1 x PATA

Features
Supports 1-Lane 2.5Gbps PCI Express bus
Internal native interface multiplexed to 2-port SATA II and 1-port PATA
All registers accessible in unified memory space
Supports 2-port 3.0Gbps SATA II interface
Supports two independent SATA II channels(separate logic and FIFO)
Supports Native Command Queue(NCQ) on SATA II port
Supports Hot Plugging like USB on SATA II port
Supports SATA II Gen1m and Den2m(External SATA Connection, e SATA)
Supports Port Multiplier with Command-based Switching on SATA II port
Supports up to UDMA6 transfer mode of PATA
Supports up to 4 storage device connection,Supports up to 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD function

Package Contents PCI-E 2 portsS SATA II+ 1 port ATA133 (JMB363 chip)
Driver Disk
SATA Cable

bear266

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
OK. It looks like when I get to that stage I'll try it and see what happens. Thanks for all the help and, USAFret, I want to have about the same number as you when this is done.
All the best.