Question Nicked an SMD or 2 off a RAM stick

BLUuuE

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I recently got myself some Crucial Ballistix Elites (3200 15-16-16-35 1.35v - A2 PCB) but for some reason they wouldn't work on my Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon and 9600k. More details on that here.

I wasn't 100% sure what ICs they used and I couldn't get them to boot so I went ahead and unscrewed the heatsink. I tried prying at the edges in hopes that I could make out the label on the RAM chips, but I slipped and 1 SMD flew off. The one next to it is pushed over a bit as well. :/

I was able to downgrade my BIOS using my existing sticks and the Ballistix Elites worked. I confirmed with Thaiphoon Burner that they were B-die so that's a plus. Unfortunately, the stick with the missing SMD can't clock higher than 3600MHz, while the other stick can do 4000+. I can't tell for sure if it's the ICs that are incapable (doubt it) or if it was due to the missing SMD (pretty likely).

I have no clue where the SMD went and don't have any soldering equipment or experience. I do have some RipJaws V DDR4 that use the A1 PCB that I could maybe sacrifice an SMD or 2 for my Ballistix Elites. Not too sure if this would work out though or if it's worth the hassle.

Thoughts?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Those chips are ball soldered to the pcb. You'd need a specialized ball solder machine to read every single solder point, reball and then resolder. Cannot be done by hand. Even with the machine, it's usually only 50% chance of success ±

Throw the ram away, it's now junk.

BLUuuE

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Those chips are ball soldered to the pcb. You'd need a specialized ball solder machine to read every single solder point, reball and then resolder. Cannot be done by hand. Even with the machine, it's usually only 50% chance of success ±

Throw the ram away, it's now junk.

Are you referring to the RAM chips?