[SOLVED] Nickel discoloration

decko9999

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've had an EKWB custom loop for about 4 months and the nickel gpu and cpu block both are discolored and are copper/brownish. Is that normal? I drained the loop and the water is clear. I tried to clean it off, but it doesn't come off. Also, the soft tubes are green which I assume is algae growing in the system (used only distilled water and the EK cyrofuel). So maybe the algae discolored it?

Solution
Sounds more like metal corrosion; what else is in the cooling loop? Hopefully no aluminum parts, since you said it's an EKWB loop....I'll assume not.

Green tubing (lining) can indicate growth, but seems more like there is likely more of an issue with some type of metal degradation - the nickel plating coming off is an indicator here.

It could be a mixture of oils from manufacturing (radiators need to be flushed really well) and some other contaminant causing some of this to occur.

EK had an issue with nickel plating something like 10 years ago, but haven't seen it much since. In fact, I have a nickel plated block on my 2080 right now, I haven't seen any issues so far...about 15 months into it.

decko9999

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So looking at this more, the entire block (both cpu and gpu) have this discoloration on the bottom side. Not just the parts that touch water. The GPU block also appears to have corrosion on it where there are black marks that are rough and can't be removed. I can also see parts of the nickel coating flaking off all across various parts of the gpu block. Terrible after only 4 months of use while properly using the coolant they provided.

Anyone know if this is normal at all?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sounds more like metal corrosion; what else is in the cooling loop? Hopefully no aluminum parts, since you said it's an EKWB loop....I'll assume not.

Green tubing (lining) can indicate growth, but seems more like there is likely more of an issue with some type of metal degradation - the nickel plating coming off is an indicator here.

It could be a mixture of oils from manufacturing (radiators need to be flushed really well) and some other contaminant causing some of this to occur.

EK had an issue with nickel plating something like 10 years ago, but haven't seen it much since. In fact, I have a nickel plated block on my 2080 right now, I haven't seen any issues so far...about 15 months into it.

Solution