Night before starting 1st time build

dmendenjr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
Not looking for part assistance or anything specific; but while waiting for my last two boxes from new egg (hopefully they both make it tomorrow)... thought I should get myself ready. Pretty sure I have all the parts I need, tools are ready (although I might buy a mag light just to be on the safe side). I went and downloaded recent driver software for most of the hardware I bought; likewise decided to grab itunes and a few other apps I'd be looking for (figure burning a DVD now, is better than spending half the day with my fancy new build looking for things I should have already had)...

What else should I do to get ready? Any rituals or best practices that y'all normally do the night before a new build?

Any advice would be great!

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
i usually paint my face and dance around a fire with a loin cloth in honor of UPS (or Fedex) in the hope that it will decrease my chances of getting a part thats DOA. I then kill a lamb in the hope that I can avoid the RMA process.

nahh you sound more prepared than me. I would recommend you get drivers which you have already done. also maybe put the newest bios on a flash drive and just do that right off.

just be aware of static electriticity

wear cotton clothes . no wool or synthetics

if you can work in a room with a wooden floor on a wooden table .

Wear an earth strap

The only tools you need are a couple of screw drivers

Take your time

get the mb stand offs in the right locations .

dont over tighten things . snug is fine

some cases are trickier than others , usually start by mounting the psu

inset cpu + hsf and ram in mb before slipping it in to the case

dmendenjr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008

Does your war-dance work on delayed pacakges? Turns out one of the boxes I'm expecting here in PA is still in San Jose (that is to say, the box with my PSU)... guess it's Dec 23rd for me rather than Christmas Eve :??:

Anti-Static Wrist band, check (showed up today). Gonna work on the faux wooden floor. Well, maybe I'll at least drop the dvd drives, card reader and hard drive in the case tommorrow. Don't see the harm in that...