[SOLVED] Nighthawk extenders or new mesh wifi?

Jul 2, 2020
i have a nighthawk x10 but moved into a new house with more brick and multiple floors so im having signal issues. Should i go with netgear extenders at 200 bucks each or just switch to a mesh wifi setup? Money isnt an option, i want the best.

Solution
They are pretty much the same technology.

Your best option is to run ethernet cables and then put in remote AP. It is not real expensive to get ethernet run in most houses. Maybe worth getting a quote to see how it compares to your other options.

You can also use powerline networks instead of ethernet or if you have tv coax you can use Moca.

In any case any form of repeater/extender should be your last choice.

Mesh is mostly marketing speak. Some thing they call mesh are the same repeater they have sold for years. Some of the better unit will use 1 radio to talk to the main router and the second radio to talk to the end clients. This means you will not get 2.4 and 5g at the remote end but it will performe a bit...
They are pretty much the same technology.

Your best option is to run ethernet cables and then put in remote AP. It is not real expensive to get ethernet run in most houses. Maybe worth getting a quote to see how it compares to your other options.

You can also use powerline networks instead of ethernet or if you have tv coax you can use Moca.

In any case any form of repeater/extender should be your last choice.

Mesh is mostly marketing speak. Some thing they call mesh are the same repeater they have sold for years. Some of the better unit will use 1 radio to talk to the main router and the second radio to talk to the end clients. This means you will not get 2.4 and 5g at the remote end but it will performe a bit better than a repeater that uses the same radio to talk to the main router as the end clients.

The best systems and there are only a couple have extra radio chip just to talk between the units and different radio chips to talk to the end clients. No matter which system you still have mulitple radio signals and it increases the odds you will get interference.

Solution