Question Nighthawk x10 R9000 dropping internet

Odoylerules16

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
My night hawk keeps dropping Internet.
And I have to completely reset it to fix it.

I was on the phone with tech support. I’m out of tech support warranty by 2 months. She told me what to do super fast. Then told me she can’t repeat them unless I buy the support. $500 router and they want you to buy support just to help you. My hardware is still covered. Anyway. Here’s what I heard her tell me to change.

2.4 WiFi channel to 11

5 WiFi channel to 161.

She talked to fast for me to hear the rest.

She said my internet light and WiFi channel lights shouldn’t blink. She told me to change 3 other things but I couldn’t get to them cause she talked so fast . It’s just frustrating.

Charter internet said the modem is good.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have the User Manual?

I found the following:

https://fccid.io/PY317400405/User-Manual/User-Manual-R9000-3771602

Verify that the manual does indeed match your router.

Then use the Manual to "walkthrough" the current settings on the router. Do not change anything but make notes about what you find especially if not as you expect or know to be the case.

Check the logs (Reference Page 87). Enable if necessary and work as normal until you have had 3 or 4 "drops". Then check the log.

Chapter 14 covers Troubleshooting. Again just read and look. Key is to identify the problem and getting a sense of what the router can indicate or otherwise tell you is important.

Intermittent drops could just be the result of a loose connection or bad plug in the network cables. Or maybe even a loose wall outlet that causes occasional power loses.

PS: Make it a rule to always indicate that you are willing to provide feedback regarding technical support received and the quality, helpfulness, etc. thereof. Then do it and rate the support person accordingly. Do so honestly and fairly. Those folks are often under a lot of pressure to resolve calls. The company culture is often the culprit so evaluate accordingly. And support staff are often "encouraged" to sell support - at the expense of providing meaningful end user assistance.

Last edited: