[SOLVED] Nighthawk X6 R8000 killing my speed

ankido

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Hi,

My Nighthawk X6 R8000
turns out it's not giving me the speeds I pay for. For the last couple of years, I noticed my speed went down from 900mbps to 250mbps. I thought maybe xfinity is being xfinity and killing my speed. I replaced the xfinity modem and used a Motorola and the problem wasn't fixed. I noticed without the Nighthawk router; I was getting nearly the speeds I pay for. Is my router done or can this be fixed. Now is not the time to pay for a hefty price on a router and would like an alternate solution on how to fix this. Am I missing a setting that needs to be disabled in order to get the speeds I pay for?

Xfinity 1gb speed
Nighthawk x6 R8000 router
Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem
Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Hi,

My Nighthawk X6 R8000
turns out it's not giving me the speeds I pay for. For the last couple of years, I noticed my speed went down from 900mbps to 250mbps. I thought maybe xfinity is being xfinity and killing my speed. I replaced the xfinity modem and used a Motorola and the problem wasn't fixed. I noticed without the Nighthawk router; I was getting nearly the speeds I pay for. Is my router done or can this be fixed. Now is not the time to pay for a hefty price on a router and would like an alternate solution on how to fix this. Am I missing a setting that needs to be disabled in order to get the speeds I pay for?

Xfinity 1gb speed
Windows...

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

My Nighthawk X6 R8000

Xfinity 1gb speed
Windows 10 Pro
Start with a factory reset of the router.
Set as LITTLE as possible. Admin password, WIFI passwords and SSISs.
Test ONLY with a wired connetion.

Solution
Many routers have a feature that lets the NAT function bypass the CPU chip. This is how even very inexpensive routers can get gigabit speeds wan/lan.
There are many features that require the CPU to be able to see the data. As soon as the CPU has to do the NAT and any more advanced stuff like say firewall rules you will get a bottleneck. The CPU chips in routers is not very powerful.