Question Nightmare with Crucial M.2 SDD ?

Jul 6, 2022
I bought a 2tb crucial M.2 SSD on Amazon a few months back and put it in a Sabrent usb3 enclosure. It connected to win11 with no error, formatted fine, etc. So I initialized it as a Windows to Go (11 enterprise) drive using Rufus. It booted and went through the initial "personalization" steps (keyboard, domain join, user/pass, etc). But, a few minutes after first "full" boot it BSODed.

It continued to do so after multiple reboots, so I RMAed it. The replacement did the exact same thing. So, I RMAed again. Same exact story.

Badblocks on RPI returns no errors whatsoever.

I asked around online, it seems like SSDs over 1TB have higher peak power requirements. So I got a powered hub. Input maxes out at 2.1a, I haven't tested output yet. One of my concerns is the tester I have cost $12, I have no idea how "fast" it is so it might miss the spikes.

To be clear; I have 2 standard form factor (2.5in) SSDs from Crucial. They're both initialized as Windows to Go using Rufus. I'm typing this on one of them. I've had them for over 2 years, and they haven't given me a single problem.

I have another Sabrent enclosure that is in 2.5 form factor. I can install it inside my system. For a variety of reasons, I really don't feel like it. But, if the consensus here is that this is the only way to get this thing to work, I'll try it.

Thanks so much in advance

Joe

ETA: I tested multiple enclosures from 2 different manufacturers, same result.

Last edited:

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Enclosure failure is more common than SSD failure. Why would you want to crawl at USB 3.x speeds is beyond me, only for mechanical backup drives.
It could be the enclosure cannot handle 2TB, even if it says it does. Why would you buy an M.2 instead of a regular SSD for an external enclosure ???
Not that M.2 performs faster than a SATA SSD in a standard PC with normal use (even heavy gaming).

Jul 6, 2022
Enclosure failure is more common than SSD failure. Why would you want to crawl at USB 3.x speeds is beyond me, only for mechanical backup drives.
It could be the enclosure cannot handle 2TB, even if it says it does. Why would you buy an M.2 instead of a regular SSD for an external enclosure ???
Not that M.2 performs faster than a SATA SSD in a standard PC with normal use (even heavy gaming).

I bought it because it was on sale and I'm working on a very small form factor build. Clearly I made a mistake.

Thanks for the update

Joe