[SOLVED] Nightmare with my RAM. Please help.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
I hope someone can put me out of my misery, I'm going crazy.

I always had a 16GB kit 3200mhz Trident, and wanted to upgrade to 32GBs, but before doing so, I took to reddit to make sure the speed bump would be compatible with my CPU (3700x) and they all agreed that 3600mhz was acceptable. I purchased that, installed, it was wonderful. I was happy, I restarted it several times to make sure I had stability, again it was great. Until a day later. I did absolutely nothing different. The issue began when I restarted it. I got the DRAM error debug go off on my mobo. The only way I could counter this was to manually shut off the PSU and then turn it back on. Once booted, everything was great again. I assume it was a hiccup, no biggie. Until I restarted. Again, the DRAM light. Feeling stressed and annoyed on trying to solve something the PC clearly tells me its okay doing makes me wonder what's there to fix if it doesn't tell me? The RAM is working as expected until I restart my system and it gets stuck.

Refusing to deal with this mess, I felt like I was lied to about it being compatible so I reverted to the trusty 3200mhz speed and purchase a different kit (cheaper as well). Same brand as before (G Skill) I installed it, worked beautifully, easy OC to 3200mhz, the works. Again, when I restart, DRAM light.

I reverted to stock settings of 2666mhz. Same DRAM light. No matter what I do, I get that DRAM light each time I restart my PC. For the love of God someone who is knowledgable on this, assist on what is the problem?

EDIT: Reverting back to my 16GB Kit now gives me the DRAM issue... shut downs now give me also the DRAM issue. The only way to fix is to turn off the PSU.

Specs
Asus Tuf x570 Gaming WiFi (Brand new)
Ryzen 3700x (OC to 4.2)
Trident Z Neo 32GB 3200mhz (Brand new)
EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra (Brand new)
EVGA 1000w PSU (Brand new)

Last edited:
First of all, mixing kits that did not come with all memory modules together in one kit is a no go for a lot of high speed memory, even when mixing the identical model of kit. If ALL of the DIMMs didn't come together in one kit, and if the kit isn't listed on the G.Skill website as being compatible for that specific motherboard model based on the G.Skill memory configurator or the motherboard QVL list on the ASUS website, then there are no guarantees that the memory is going to play nice.

What I'd recommend that you TRY, first, is installing whatever DIMMs you plan to use and then doing a hard reset of the BIOS. After a successful POST, go back into the BIOS and set the XMP profile. See if it will POST successfully again. If so, go back into the BIOS and enable the memory fast boot option in the advanced memory settings so that it does not attempt to re-train the memory every time it boots.

Knowing the exact model numbers of the kits you've been trying to use would be helpful in knowing whether any or all of them are even technically validated as compatible with your specific motherboard and CPU combination because not all DDR4 kits will be.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

solarasreign

Reputable
Dec 2, 2017
First of all, mixing kits that did not come with all memory modules together in one kit is a no go for a lot of high speed memory, even when mixing the identical model of kit. If ALL of the DIMMs didn't come together in one kit, and if the kit isn't listed on the G.Skill website as being compatible for that specific motherboard model based on the G.Skill memory configurator or the motherboard QVL list on the ASUS website, then there are no guarantees that the memory is going to play nice.

What I'd recommend that you TRY, first, is installing whatever DIMMs you plan to use and then doing a hard reset of the BIOS. After a successful POST, go back into the BIOS and set the XMP profile. See if it will POST successfully again. If so, go back into the BIOS and enable the memory fast boot option in the advanced memory settings so that it does not attempt to re-train the memory every time it boots.

Knowing the exact model numbers of the kits you've been trying to use would be helpful in knowing whether any or all of them are even technically validated as compatible with your specific motherboard and CPU combination because not all DDR4 kits will be.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.
The original 16GB kit is F4-3200C16D-16GTZB
CL16-18-18-18-38

Let me start off by saying it says Intel RAM. I know what you're thinking, I build this PC during the Ryzen hype in 2017 and used this ram. The reason being cause the CPU was so new many weren't sure what type of ram would be needed, but it never failed me. I never had an issues with it. I had it in my system for over 5 yrs. Until recently. I stayed within the same family, GSkill, and this ram specifically says for AMD system builds.
The RAM that I brought is F4-3600C18D-32GTZN CL 18-22-22-42

Upon first installment, it was perfectly fine. My PC has never crashed nor frozen. The issue is only when I want to reboot. I get the DRAM light on. I have reverted to stock settings, default to even try to OC at its advertise speed. Any of those options give me the DRAM LED.

I reverted back to my trusty 16GB kit and the same thing happened. I feel like I got a new mobo with defected RAM slots. I never mixed any of them and made sure they were being read properly on BIOS with their right timings everytime I restarted the PC. All green there. But I still get the DRAM led.

I will be getting a new board later this week that I originally wanted, and am currently using this board as a test dummy (and also cause I need something for work) and I'm just baffled on the RAM department. I reread your steps and it's basically what I have done already, sorry if I didn't specify thoroughly in my first post.

As for the fast boot up, mine has always been enable.

Last edited:
Solution