Nikon Capture/Edit File names

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have a D-70 and D-100 camera both store images to the CF cards and
assign them sequentially numbered file names.

I have Nikon View, Nikon Capture software and Adobe CF.

Nikon Edit in Nikon Capture allows me to plug my camera into my lap top
and quickly show my client the pictures but I have not been able to
find a way to know what files on the CF card we are looking at.

Ideally I would like to plug the D-70 into Nikon Edit and down load the
contents of the CF card and have the files on the laptop named the same
as the files on the CF card.
Is this possible.

If not can you think of some other workaround?

Paul

Splendid

flyboy wrote:

> I have a D-70 and D-100 camera both store images to the CF cards and
> assign them sequentially numbered file names.
>
> I have Nikon View, Nikon Capture software and Adobe CF.
>
> Nikon Edit in Nikon Capture allows me to plug my camera into my lap top...

I think your question was answered but I have a similar question.

If I plug the camera into the laptop & have it shoot directly to the
laptop hard drive, it is capable of naming the files with a time stamp.
I'd like to have the memory card save them this way too but it doesn't
seem to be an option.

On 27 Dec 2004 07:31:49 -0800, "flyboy" <gmcclellan@charter.net>
wrote:

>I have a D-70 and D-100 camera both store images to the CF cards and
>assign them sequentially numbered file names.
>
>I have Nikon View, Nikon Capture software and Adobe CF.
>
>Nikon Edit in Nikon Capture allows me to plug my camera into my lap top
>and quickly show my client the pictures but I have not been able to
>find a way to know what files on the CF card we are looking at.
>
>Ideally I would like to plug the D-70 into Nikon Edit and down load the
>contents of the CF card and have the files on the laptop named the same
>as the files on the CF card.
>Is this possible.
>
>If not can you think of some other workaround?

Don't use the Nikon software at all - use Windows file capability.
Use Explorer and just copy the files from the CF card (it will be a
drive, like G: depending on your drive count in your system) - Just
drag and drop them all into a folder on your hard drive...

I think this is what you want to do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
+ (two mirrored sites)
+ http://membres.lycos.fr/tnguym
+ http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym NOWTHISWORKS
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> wrote in message
> On 27 Dec 2004 07:31:49 -0800, "flyboy" <gmcclellan@charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a D-70 and D-100 camera both store images to the CF cards and
>>assign them sequentially numbered file names.
>>
>>I have Nikon View, Nikon Capture software and Adobe CF.
>>
>>Nikon Edit in Nikon Capture allows me to plug my camera into my lap top
>>and quickly show my client the pictures but I have not been able to
>>find a way to know what files on the CF card we are looking at.
>>
>>Ideally I would like to plug the D-70 into Nikon Edit and down load the
>>contents of the CF card and have the files on the laptop named the same
>>as the files on the CF card.
>>Is this possible.
>>
>>If not can you think of some other workaround?
>
> Don't use the Nikon software at all - use Windows file capability.
> Use Explorer and just copy the files from the CF card (it will be a
> drive, like G: depending on your drive count in your system) - Just
> drag and drop them all into a folder on your hard drive...
>
> I think this is what you want to do.

That is what I do. In addition, I use card readers to copy files from the
media card -- much faster and doesn't use the camera's batteries. I have a
SanDisk card reader for CF that I bought when I got my Nikon Coolpix 880,
and I have a SmartDisk universal "3-in-1" reader when I got my Oly C-2100 UZ
and a camcorder that will also take still photos (but I soon gave up on
"still photos" from the camcorder because they are so inferior). Both
readers work flawlessly after several years of use.

MaryL