Nikon's Mystery Device Could Be a Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
"change the concept of cameras, and could even be a non-camera consumer product"

I know, lets make a pair of glasses that users can interact with by talking to them, view the web on, and take pictures/video with.

djfv

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Well, good companies should follow market changes.
Kodak didn't transition to digital photography quickly enough, unlike Nikon, and therefore - it went bankrupt.
There is a new change in the photography world, and this time it is caused by smartphones. We will see how traditional photo companies will fare.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I've been shooting Nikon FX DSLRs for years, and there is no way I would trade out my gear for a camera phone. Some phones out there take good pictures, but until the sensor size equals what is in my D800 (which won't happen), image quality will never be as good as a full frame camera.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

You don't understand. Your full frame camera is going nowhere. This is how Nikon needs to survive to be able to keep selling awesome cameras.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
Come to think of it. Nikon's competitors have great products to help their camera department when the market fluctuates. (Sony TVs, Canon printers). Nikon needs some kind of buffer too.

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
nikon 1 was really great. a product with lower specs then the competition at the same price. keep it this way. also don't forget not to add gps and wifi like real modern cameras have.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Horses for courses.
If I am in a bar for example and don't have a camera with me and want to take some snaps, I use my smartphone.
If I am on a day out, say a hike and don't want to carry a bulky camera I take my point and shoot with me.
If I am going to an important event and need good pictures say a graduation ceremony, a school play etc, then I'll bring my DSLR and lenses.
Personally I think I need all 3 cameras, but I can understand why people work with just their smartphone, or smartphone plus DSLR and never buy a point and shoot.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
"Customers no longer need to carry a bulky camera around their neck"

The bulky cameras are most of the time dSLR cameras and in no way can a, "smartphone packing high-resolution" replace it. It can however replace most point and shoot cameras.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I find the idea of a Nikon smart phone intriguing. On the other hand, Nikon doesn't mean to me what it used to when their only product was high-end cameras.

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I've been shooting Nikon FX DSLRs for years, and there is no way I would trade out my gear for a camera phone. Some phones out there take good pictures, but until the sensor size equals what is in my D800 (which won't happen), image quality will never be as good as a full frame camera.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

People like you who care so much about image amaze me. I was just talking to a person who thinks the Nissan GTR is not cool, because it is made by the company that makes the Versa. Same thing with cheap macbooks and stuff too I guess. I personally think the opposite way. I don't see a diluted high end camera maker. I see a smartphone made by the people capable of making legendary full framers.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
"Customers no longer need to carry a bulky camera around their neck"

The bulky cameras are most of the time dSLR cameras and in no way can a, "smartphone packing high-resolution" replace it. It can however replace most point and shoot cameras.

Not sure about that. Take, for example, skiing, snowboarding, any winter sport, swimming etc. All of these aren't ideal conditions for LCD touch screens. My skiing pics are mostly taken blindly, as there is no way I can make out anything but washed out shadows on the LCD of my rugged pocket Nikon (AW100). This camera also happens to have glove friendly buttons. Smartphones will never have these, and shouldn't either as they are bulky.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Cell phone cameras are such low quality. I hate seeing people's pics that look like they are from the 80's but they took them with their brand new iphone or android phone. As the quality increases they may replace point & shoot cameras but never DSLR ones. I have a 9 year old Nikon D50 which is 6mp and it still takes better quality outdoor pics with vibrant and rich colors than my Sony Alpha NEX C3 16mp camera. And the Sony isn't a cheap point & shoot camera, it also has interchangeable lenses. The only place the Sony beats the Nikon is on low light, indoors pics. It excels at that.

Anyway my point was they really need to increase cell phone camera quality. It's like traveling back in time when people post these crappy pics all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.