Ninjas!

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
 

presto

Distinguished
May 30, 2002
34
0
18,530
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

An issue of Dragon from the last 12 months (the April 2004 issue springs to
mind) has a 20 level ninja class, I believe.

--
==========
Are you a RPG Player?
Visit my website: http://www.morvia.tk
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Werebat wrote:
> Ophidian wrote:
> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill
people.

But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win in a fight
between ninjas and pirates?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill people.

- Ron ^*^
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Presto wrote:
> Ophidian wrote:
>
>> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> An issue of Dragon from the last 12 months (the April 2004 issue springs
> to mind) has a 20 level ninja class, I believe.

That's #318, the Oriental Adventures update issue. Unfortunately, that ninja is
exactly the same as the one in Complete Adventurer (both the article and the
book were written by Jesse Decker).

To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product since
3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter
works.

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you
understand?
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/prestigeclasslist.html
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/mhacdebhandia/templatelist.html

Quo usque tandem abutere, Vepre, patientia nostra?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
levels.
Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
Stir well.
Enjoy Ninja.

Silveraxe.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Anivair wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>
<snip>
>
>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
>> flip out and kill people.
>
> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?

The dinosaurs.


Arivne
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Silveraxe wrote:

> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
> levels.
> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
> Stir well.
> Enjoy Ninja.

I'm with him. If you *need* the unarmed fighting (and not just a rogue
with improved unarmed) then just multiclass the rogue and monk and
it'll be a perfect blend.

heck, when you get right down to it a monk PrC'd into assasin is
basically a ninja. What more do you need (thogh I would alter the
prereqs some to fit the flavor).
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

arivne@cox.net wrote:

> Anivair wrote:
>
>>Werebat wrote:
>>
>
> <snip>
>
>>>Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
>>>flip out and kill people.
>>
>>But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
>>in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
>
> The dinosaurs.

Where do ninja wizards fit in this?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Silveraxe wrote:

> Ophidian wrote:
>
>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
>
> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
> levels.
> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
> Stir well.
> Enjoy Ninja.

Best answer yet.
Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
Like in Eberron.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Christopher Adams wrote:
[...]
> To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product since
> 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
> fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter
> works.

Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.

I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:
>
> Christopher Adams wrote:
> [...]
>
>> To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast
>> product since 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some*
>> prestige classes which fulfill a similar niche - anything
>> simultaneously stealthy and a decent fighter works.
>
> Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
>
> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You can get most
> of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or something multiclassed (to add in
> more low-level spellcasting).

Our first run at it used Rogue/Monk.
Seems to work.

But I talked myself into CompAdv yesterday and the player thinks
he might take the actual class after all.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 03:02:13 -0800, arivn wrote:

>
> Anivair wrote:
>> Werebat wrote:
>>
> <snip>
>>
>>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both
>>> flip out and kill people.
>>
>> But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win
>> in a fight between ninjas and pirates?
>
> The dinosaurs.
>

....with the half-flumph template.

>
> Arivne

LL
 

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003
101
0
18,680
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On 10 Mar 2005 19:24:47 -0800, "Anivair" <anivair@gmail.com> raised a
finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>
>Werebat wrote:
>> Ophidian wrote:
>> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>>
>> Ninjas are just like barbarians, because they both flip out and kill
>people.
>
>But how to ninjas compare to pirates? Who would win in a fight
>between ninjas and pirates?

The boners.

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)

The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

Geoff.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:
> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

Exactly.

Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue
and the Ranger class, what he actually wants is something
that is unbalancedly more powerful.

Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually
wishing for is a class which shifts "goodness" further
towards stealth, at the expense of other abilities (e.g a
Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and Evasion abilities
with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like Cat's
Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Geoff Watson" <geoffwatson@pacific.net.au> wrote in message news:<erbYd.1493$Le2.11641@nasal.pacific.net.au>...
> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
> > I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
> > campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
> > book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
> > its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
>
> Geoff.

The DMG has a PrC ninja called 'assassin'
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Geoff Watson wrote:

> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:RbYXd.195893$0u.101319@fed1read04...
>
>>I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>
>
> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.

Hardly!
Good try though. ;)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:

>
> Geoff Watson wrote:
>
>> "Ophidian" <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I have a player who wants to play a Ninja and I finally have a
>>> campaighn opportunity to allow it. But I'm wondering, has any
>>> book other tha OA given a ninja class or PRC for 3.5? (Yes, I know
>>> its in CompAdv but I don't have that yet.)
>>
>> The PH has a ninja class called 'rogue'.
>
> Exactly.
>
> Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the Ranger
> class, what he actually wants is something that is unbalancedly more
> powerful.

Hell, no.
I'm the DM!
I want something that does the flavor better.
Not something that dominates the game.

> Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually wishing for is
> a class which shifts "goodness" further towards stealth, at the expense
> of other abilities (e.g a Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and
> Evasion abilities with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like
> Cat's Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.

Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian wrote:
> Peter Knutsen wrote:
>>Chances are, if Ophidian is unhappy with *both* the Rogue and the Ranger
>>class, what he actually wants is something that is unbalancedly more
>>powerful.
>
> Hell, no.
> I'm the DM!

Well, sorry for having insulted you, but we do get a lot of
people who pop in here and are basically asking for a
majority approval of their ultra-powerful core class. You
just happened to be the exception.

> I want something that does the flavor better.

Please define the flavour, then. Because there's no
consensus on what a ninja *is*.

Most people in here associate the concept with buttkicking
unarmed combatants from stupid Hong Kong action movies. I'm
much more into the actual historical ninja, the
infiltrator/assassin/spy.

Where are you?

> Not something that dominates the game.
>
>>Of course one *can* not rule out that what he's actually wishing for is
>>a class which shifts "goodness" further towards stealth, at the expense
>>of other abilities (e.g a Rogue which replaces the Uncanny Dodge and
>>Evasion abilities with the ability to cast stealth-improving spells like
>>Cat's Grace and Invisibility). But I wouldn't *bet* on it.
>
> Ick, don't want a spell caster. That's silly enough on assassin.

I like the idea of a non-Evil Assassin. Preferably as a core
class, rather than a prestige class.

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Sampo Smolander <sampo.smolander+newsnspam@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>Anivair <anivair@gmail.com> wrote:
>> But how to ninjas compare to pirates?

>Order of the Stick has commented also on the age-old
>Ninja vs. Pirate debate:

>http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=121

So has Nodwick, for those who haven't seen it:

http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/nodwick/gamespyarchive/gspynod176.html

"They're ninja-pirates!"

"It's like combining liquor and booze! It's an unbeatable
combination!"

Pete
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:

> Silveraxe wrote:
[...]
>> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
>> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
>> levels.
>> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
>> Stir well.
>> Enjoy Ninja.

> Best answer yet.
> Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
> Like in Eberron.

I wouldn't bother, since the multiclass restrictions on monk and
paladin are there for flavor reasons, not balance reasons. But you
already have a good flavor reason for making free monk/rogue MCing
available: you want your ninjae!

--
Matt Pillsbury
pillsy[at]mac[dot]com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <m2d5u5zzlv.fsf@seesig.com>, Matt Pillsbury <mtp@seesig.com> wrote:
>Ophidian <oNpEhMiOdian23@cox.net> writes:
>
>> Silveraxe wrote:
>[...]
>>> Decree that you magnanimously allow free Monk/Rogue multiclassing.
>>> Take one part Monk levels and an approximately equal part of Rogue
>>> levels.
>>> Add Shadowdancer and/or Assassin to taste.
>>> Stir well.
>>> Enjoy Ninja.
>
>> Best answer yet.
>> Though I'd likely force a feat slot for the free multiclass.
>> Like in Eberron.
>
>I wouldn't bother, since the multiclass restrictions on monk and
>paladin are there for flavor reasons, not balance reasons. But you
>already have a good flavor reason for making free monk/rogue MCing
>available: you want your ninjae!

There are feats in Complete Adventurer that allow monk/paladin multiclassing,
rogue/paladin, and much more.
--
"Yo' ideas need to be thinked befo' they are say'd" - Ian Lamb, age 3.5
http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~dalamb/ qucis->cs to reply (it's a long story...)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

In article <39d6f0F616g4mU3@individual.net>,
Peter Knutsen <peter@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

> Christopher Adams wrote:
> [...]
> > To answer the original poster's question - no Wizards of the Coast product
> > since
> > 3.5 has had a ninja class. However, there are *some* prestige classes which
> > fulfill a similar niche - anything simultaneously stealthy and a decent
> > fighter
> > works.
>
> Yeah, like a Ranger or a Rogue.
>
> I don't much see the need for a particular Ninja class. You
> can get most of it already with a Ranger, Rogue, or
> something multiclassed (to add in more low-level spellcasting).

It really depends on the flavour of ninja you're trying to copy. There
are relatively serious ninja, there are mildly silly ninja (Tenchu:
Stealth Assassins), and there are ridiculous ninja (Ninja Scroll). All
of these are within DnD canonical power levels, just with different
flavours.

In the 2e days psionics did silly ninjas very well. I'm not sure how
well 3e psionics handle it.

Kevin Lowe,
Tasmania.