News Nintendo Announces OLED Switch, $349 in October

I don't think Nintendo's making a "Switch Pro" that's a performance bump. There's nothing Nintendo can upgrade the Switch to that makes sense since NVIDIA's SoCs since the X2 have been designed for either cars or machine learning acceleration in mind. And NVIDIA's not really interested in making something custom for the console market.

If anything this probably points to a brand new console in a couple of years.

RareAir23

Commendable
Jun 10, 2020
Of the performance upgrade? Yeah it doesn't seem like much (as docked it can still only do 1080p max and 720p handheld) but that doesn't mean we're not getting a newer nVIDIA SOC for this. Remember, the current Tegra X1 inside the current Switch is EOL with nVIDIA and they will not be producing anymore by year's end according to what's been reported on that front. So we're getting a new chip or refresh of some kind for this. Question is...what? Out!

Yeah it doesn't seem like much (as docked it can still only do 1080p max and 720p handheld) but that doesn't mean we're not getting a newer nVIDIA SOC for this.
NVIDIA seems like they've bowed out of the mobile space entirely considering Xaiver, Orin, and the upcoming Atlan don't seem to have anything that's suitable for mobile. That isn't to say you can't throw one of those SoCs in a tablet or something, but they'd probably have to have some finagling or compromises. There's also the issue that NVIDIA's been pushing their Denver and Caramel cores on the last few generations of Tegra, and those cores don't behave in a straight forward manner.

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
They should contact AMD and Zen 3 + RDNA2 APU for a Switch Pro model

And either keep the same res and go with a 6000 mAh battery or go 1080P and a 5,000 mAh battery

What you're asking for is "Too Expensive" for Nintendo's tastes.

They don't want to charge a "Break Even" pricing for their consoles, they want to make a profit with each unit sold.

I think they'll contact Samsung and work with AMD again on a custom ARM Mobile SoC with Radeon Graphics.

This way they can maintain backwards compatibility through ARM Architecture with the updated ARM SoC.

Every Console maker has dabbled with nVIDIA and gotten burned by nVIDIA at some point and refused to work with them again.

Sony with PS3

MS with the Original Xbox

Nintendo now with "The Switch".

Every company must taste that horrible working relationship before they feel the nVIDIA burn.

Hell, even Apple doesn't want to do business with nVIDIA after Bump-Gate.

Many of us still remember that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makaveli
D

Deleted member 14196

nah, they will milk the switch for all it's worth before churning out another useless yet expensive pos with $80 throwaway controllers

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
Meh, not a huge upgrade it seems. Kind of dissapointing. Sure, an OLED screen is great (and the option of a larger handheld screen), but there's not even a battery upgrade? Oh well. I guess Nintendo feels like they don't have any real pressure on them to make a "better" product as of right now, especially since the Switch has sold so well (especially under lockdown).

OMGPWNTIME

Distinguished
May 1, 2009
Does the current Switch even render at full resolution when it runs on battery?

Sadly even docked many games render at sub 720p. With handheld only very few games will render @ 720p due to the rather low performance.

While I never really believed we would get an upgraded SoC; It would have really been nice to finally have decent framerate in more games + rendering @ 720p in handheld. While I have wanted an OLED since the original release, I can't justify $350 just for that.

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Of the performance upgrade? Yeah it doesn't seem like much (as docked it can still only do 1080p max and 720p handheld) but that doesn't mean we're not getting a newer nVIDIA SOC for this. Remember, the current Tegra X1 inside the current Switch is EOL with nVIDIA and they will not be producing anymore by year's end according to what's been reported on that front. So we're getting a new chip or refresh of some kind for this. Question is...what? Out!

They're either extending it for this, or they're doing an equivalent, 100% compatible SoC on a smaller process.
I don't think they'll say no to the cash if there's cash to be made anyways, and considering they're doing other stuff on the CPU front, why not?

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Either they'd have to do a process node shrink (which already happened) or increase the battery capacity, which would require a better battery (which I dunno if there is a more cost effective Li-Po than what they're using) or a bigger chassis (which is already a no)

I thought OLED was power saving in that black does not use energy. So either it is not enough to make a difference or I have my technologies mixed up.

I thought OLED was power saving in that black does not use energy. So either it is not enough to make a difference or I have my technologies mixed up.
That requires the content to be predominately dark. Nintendo games tend to be bright and colorful.

They're either extending it for this, or they're doing an equivalent, 100% compatible SoC on a smaller process.
I don't think they'll say no to the cash if there's cash to be made anyways, and considering they're doing other stuff on the CPU front, why not?
NVIDIA has bowed out of the console market, at least making something exclusively for it. I would argue the only reasons why Nintendo went with the Tegra X1 was they were looking for an exsiting mobile SoC and NVIDIA was the next best thing since Apple's is obviously tied up with Apple.

Despite AMD making parts for Sony and Microsoft, they don't make a whole lot of money off of it considering the hardware is sold as a loss leader.