Nintendo Apologizes for the Wii U Set-up Process

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo Apologizes for the Wii U Set-up Process
B.S.....They knew it and they have no learned. If they were sorry they will give you a choice when to update.
A simple message "Update available" "Install Now" "Remind me Later"
Choices Nintendo! There is no need to force updates.

This wouldnt bohter me at all, since everytime i want to play a new game on PC, i have to install it, then install the DirecX, then installe the new drivers probably. I just got used to it i guess.

Helps develop pacience, and that is required in the future if you plan to have a girlfriend :D.

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
The update wasn't that big of a deal, but I read about it before and planned accordingly. I set it to update before I went to bed. Woke up the next morning and it was all good.

The "apps" on it also need updating. I tried the YouTube app to see how it worked and it needed a 10 minute update too.

The web browser on it seemed surprisingly quick.

Overall, I was impressed. NintendoLand, the game that game with it, is nothing to write home about, but it does help showcase what the system can do. I'll get my money's worth out of it I'm sure.

[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]lol thats wii i never get one my last nitendo product is the Super nintendo a 1900 years back[/citation]

So you refused whole systems with slews of games based on them needing updates? I take it you don't purchase games or any MMOs at all ever either? Its not a big of a deal as most people make it out of. Leave it on overnight and it will be ready to play in the morning. Simple, easy and its kind of a lot easier than shoveling snow out of your drive way so you can make it to work.

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Perfect opportunity for the Brick and Mortars to charge a little more. How about a service fee for doing for us before we buy it, so it's ready out of the box? I am sure there are non-tech savvy parents who would appreciate that.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]jojesa[/nom]B.S.....They knew it and they have no learned. If they were sorry they will give you a choice when to update.A simple message "Update available" "Install Now" "Remind me Later"Choices Nintendo! There is no need to force updates.[/citation]

What are you, like 5 years old, ever hear of grammer?

Ever try to play games on a PS3? First time I tried to play GT5 I had to download an 300 Meg update, then a 120 Meg update, then a 180 Meg update. All systems do this, it allows the developer to fix problems that were discovered after the devices where made.

Do you really think all the Wii Us were made in the week before they were released? No they where made months before, get over it people.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
I think it's close to a criminal negligence. Needing update as soon as you turn on your console means you bought incomplete product, which was not disclosed to the buyer. You know that most IKEA items have "Assembly Required" or something of that effect printed on their package. Even some kids' toys have them. If the console had issues undiscovered before launch, the console still should have been able to function at least some basic. I will not be surprised if bunch of lawyers take Nintendo to court for this, and I won't blame them this time. I usually do blame them for frivolous lawsuit, but this time Nintendo deserves it.

I didn't buy Wii U, and have no plan to buy one. I have Wii, PS3, XBox 360, and a decent gaming PC, which are quite enough at the moment. And I think Wii was a heck of a gaming console. Maybe still is.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
How about not connecting to the internet. You can play offline, right? I would do this with the PS3. That damn thing always had system updates when I would try to connect so I would just play offline until I had time to connect and download.

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
The internet surely allows the console makers and developers to give the consoles more features and improve performance, and make games better and to deliver more content, but the other way both console makers and game developers have been using the fact that console owners have Internet in order to patch things up because they didn't do it previously is dangerously shifting the burden of annoyance towards the consumer and away from the console makers and developers, that choose to release before, possibly for competitive reasons. They probably think that as long as everybody does it and it's not excessive, they can get away with it, because consumers still have a margin of tolerance.

But there is a major danger they face: I still remember when a game console was just as easy and ready to use as a home appliance, with the added benefit that it was regarded as a technological marvel and a lot of fun. You just had to plug in the cartridge and turn it on. It worked right away, there were never any firmware updates, and games only very rarely had any bugs.

Nowadays, with consoles being more than that, by also having more and more functions of a PC, including all the firmware updates, game patches, the danger is that they may get too close to PCs and eventually become extinct. I remind those who are too young to know, back in the mid eighties and early nineties, there were consoles, and then there was the PC, but there were also two hybrids, all in one computers inside the keyboard, that had better graphics and sound than the PC and were ususally connected to a TV (although they could be connected to a computer monitor), I'm talking about the Atari ST and the Commodore Amiga. As soon as the PC got better graphics and better quality sound (thanks to AdLib and Sound Blaster soundcards), they soon faded away, and by the mid nineties, consoles on one side, and the PC on the other, had won.

helz IT

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
I probably spend 99% of the time I game on my PC, but occasionally my wife wants to play a co-op and we fire up the 360. Its an old joke with us that by the time its actually updated and running, she won't feel like playing anymore. On top of that, half the time the UI is completely different, which I just find annoying as hell.

This bad enough back when we lived in the lower '48 and had a 25mbps cable internet connection with unlimited downloads. Now we live in Nome, AK where the standard speed is ~100kbps and we're capped at 10gb a month. Considering how much consoles depend on the internet these days, I wouldn't even consider buying a new one.

G

Booting up a console and playing a game used to be instantaneous, with no updating required, no chance of breaking your system, and no crashes.

Hardware has gotten exponentially more powerful, heck - exponentially-exponentially ^ love more powerful.

Yet speed and reliability is worse. Clearly we have gone off track somewhere. Now even Nintendo, the masters of solid products, is no longer immune.

Status
Not open for further replies.