Nintendo DS after one month

I've had my Nintendo DS for about a month now, and I thought it might
be useful to provide a view of the system after prolonged and regular
usage. I should note that the only game I have for the system as of
now is Mario, so my impressions are based on having played that game
(and the Metroid demo).

The first point I'd like to touch upon is one which I've seen stir up a
lot of discussion in other threads:

using the touchscreen for analog control.

I personally have found this mode of input to be very good. Yes, when
I first started playing Mario, there were some growing pains into using
the thumbstrap to do this, but honestly I remember the first time I
played a 3d platformer with an analog stick, there was some getting
used to the controls. Now, using the the touchpad and thumbstrap feels
just as natural to me as using an analog stick.

I also wanted to comment on the touchpad in general. I've seen some
posts refer to the touchpad as having a lot of gimick potential. In my
experience it is a valid feature. In fact, I think it significantly
enhances the portable experience. One way it does this is by giving a
mouselook-like feel in the Metroid demo. For fans of PC-like FPS
games, mouselook is the preferred input mode. Maybe it's just me, but
I don't know too many people plaing Half-life 2 or Tribes Vengeance
with a analog joystick or dpad. I expect to see more FPS games being
developed for the DS than were developed for the GBA, simply because
the controls are now a good fit for the genre.

Also, the touchpad is showcased in Mario through the slew of minigames
you can unlock. Using the touchpad as an input mode really opens up a
lot of variety in the kinds of minigames you can play. This is the
case with the Mario minigames. One example of what I'm talking about
it there is a minigame where you use the stylus to pull back on a
onscreen slingshot to shoot parachuting targets out of the sky. For my
gaming habits and schedule, minigames are ideal. Since a portable is
meant for gaming on the go, minigames that are fun and addictive, but
not time-consuming are perfect. One place I use my DS during my lunch
hour at work.

Another feature of the DS that I think is also perfect for portable
gaming is the sleep mode feature. If you're in the middle of a game,
and you don't have time to or don't want to save, you can just fold the
system closed. It will go into sleep mode (saving you battery life)
and you can just unfold the system and pick up right where you left
off.

As far as folding and unfolding the DS, I've noticed some people say
that the viewing angle for the two screen is not great on the DS. This
was a concern for me too at first. I noticed that if I was sitting
down, and holding the DS in front of me, the viewing angle was fine.
Standing up though, or laying down (if lounging on my couch or gaming
before going to sleep) the viewing angle on the top screen was a little
poor. Like I said, I was concerned until I realized that I could
adjust the viewing angle to make the two screens parallel. This second
vieiwng angle was great for playing while standing or laying down. I
just mention this because if you're like me and don't bother to RTFM,
you might not realize your DS has two viewing angles.

I'm not going to say anything about battery life, sound, screen
brightness or graphics. From reviews of the DS and NG posts, there
seems to be a general consensus, of which I am part of, that all of
these are good. Plus, I really just wanted to provide my take on some
things I noticed others who either owned a DS for only a few days or
didn't own one at all were concerned about.

The only times I've noticed these aspects of the system debated are in
DS vs PSP types of threads. I guess I should say on that note, that
I'm not a Nintendo fanboy. In fact, since I am lucky enough that cost
isn't an issue for me, I will be getting a PSP as soon as it comes
stateside. Since I got a DS first though, I guess my only comment on
the PSP is that I hope Sony does as good a job as Nintendo did in
providing a gaming device that's really well-designed for portable
gaming. I'll have to wait till March though to see.
I hope this post was helpful.

Ollie

Thanks for the detailed and insightful post. I've had my DS for a time
now and I agree with a lot of what you've said. Mario was the game I
bought at launch, but I never really liked 3D platformers, so it may
have been wasted on me. I now play "Drill Spirits" and "Feel the
Magic" (having traded in "Mario") and find those make better use of the
touch and dual screens.

I look forward to the full launch of "Metroid", though it will be tough
to find deathmatch opponents. I don't know anyone else locally that
owns a DS. Maybe there should be a registry or a meetup...

[Searching]

This might be of interest to those wanting to meet with other Nintendo
players in their area...
http://nintendo.meetup.com

> Another feature of the DS that I think is also perfect for portable
> gaming is the sleep mode feature. If you're in the middle of a game,
> and you don't have time to or don't want to save, you can just fold the
> system closed. It will go into sleep mode (saving you battery life)
> and you can just unfold the system and pick up right where you left
> off.

I agree with most of what you have said - had the DS also for about 3 weeks,
replacing my GBASP.
BUT I believe the "sleep mode" feature you describe above only works with
the DS games. From what I have read - and seen - it does not work with GBA
games. It will probably turn off the screen (really can't see but I would
assume it would) to save battery life but does not put the game into a
"sleep mode". Please, someone correct me if I am wrong - would not be the
first time.

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 20:06:12 GMT, "Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com>
wrote:

>BUT I believe the "sleep mode" feature you describe above only works with
>the DS games. From what I have read - and seen - it does not work with GBA
>games. It will probably turn off the screen (really can't see but I would
>assume it would) to save battery life but does not put the game into a
>"sleep mode".

As far as I can tell, it doesn't even turn off the screen. I spent a
bit more time that I would care to admit trying to peek into the crack
trying to figure that out :p

> As far as I can tell, it doesn't even turn off the screen. I spent a
> bit more time that I would care to admit trying to peek into the crack
> trying to figure that out :p

That's ok. I would probably do the same thing if nothing else out of
curiosity.

"Steven Wandy" <Swandy@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> > As far as I can tell, it doesn't even turn off the screen. I spent a
> > bit more time that I would care to admit trying to peek into the crack
> > trying to figure that out :p
>
> That's ok. I would probably do the same thing if nothing else out of
> curiosity.

Odd... I tested mine with SM64 - closed it - opened it 3 days later and it
was at the same point, so the screen must go off.

JohnB

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:47:11 GMT, "JohnB"
<john_boettcher@bleauyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Odd... I tested mine with SM64 - closed it - opened it 3 days later and it
>was at the same point, so the screen must go off.

I think you misunderstand: what we're saying is that the sleep mode
only works on DS games, not GBA games. With a DS game, if you close
the lid, the system pauses the game, turns off both of its screens and
(I _think_) reduces the CPU speed to save even more power. It uses
very little power in this state, so as you discovered, it can stay in
standby mode quite a while (although if you're going to leave it for 3
days, you should probably turn off the DS instead :) )

If you're playing a GBA game on the DS, though, it doesn't do any of
these things. The game seems to keep right on playing with the screen
still turned on.

"drocket" <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:47:11 GMT, "JohnB"
> <john_boettcher@bleauyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Odd... I tested mine with SM64 - closed it - opened it 3 days later and
it
> >was at the same point, so the screen must go off.
>
> I think you misunderstand: what we're saying is that the sleep mode
> only works on DS games, not GBA games. With a DS game, if you close
> the lid, the system pauses the game, turns off both of its screens and
> (I _think_) reduces the CPU speed to save even more power. It uses
> very little power in this state, so as you discovered, it can stay in
> standby mode quite a while (although if you're going to leave it for 3
> days, you should probably turn off the DS instead :) )
>
> If you're playing a GBA game on the DS, though, it doesn't do any of
> these things. The game seems to keep right on playing with the screen
> still turned on.

D'oh... that'll teach me not to reply to threads while sozzled... :)

Regards,
JohnB

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:45:14 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:47:11 GMT, "JohnB"
><john_boettcher@bleauyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Odd... I tested mine with SM64 - closed it - opened it 3 days later and it
>>was at the same point, so the screen must go off.
>
>I think you misunderstand: what we're saying is that the sleep mode
>only works on DS games, not GBA games. With a DS game, if you close
>the lid, the system pauses the game, turns off both of its screens and
>(I _think_) reduces the CPU speed to save even more power. It uses
>very little power in this state, so as you discovered, it can stay in
>standby mode quite a while (although if you're going to leave it for 3
>days, you should probably turn off the DS instead :) )
>
>If you're playing a GBA game on the DS, though, it doesn't do any of
>these things. The game seems to keep right on playing with the screen
>still turned on.

For GBA games that have GBA-sleep-mode built in (sadly not enough of them,
but Zelda and Golden Sun spring to mind), does this still work on the DS?

Regards,

David

Yes, the regular sleep mode function does work (pressing L + R to bring up
the menu), it just doesn't automatically go into sleep mode when you close
the DS.

"Graham Holden" <look@bottom.of.post> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:45:14 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:47:11 GMT, "JohnB"
>><john_boettcher@bleauyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Odd... I tested mine with SM64 - closed it - opened it 3 days later and
>>>it
>>>was at the same point, so the screen must go off.
>>
>>I think you misunderstand: what we're saying is that the sleep mode
>>only works on DS games, not GBA games. With a DS game, if you close
>>the lid, the system pauses the game, turns off both of its screens and
>>(I _think_) reduces the CPU speed to save even more power. It uses
>>very little power in this state, so as you discovered, it can stay in
>>standby mode quite a while (although if you're going to leave it for 3
>>days, you should probably turn off the DS instead :) )
>>
>>If you're playing a GBA game on the DS, though, it doesn't do any of
>>these things. The game seems to keep right on playing with the screen
>>still turned on.
>
> For GBA games that have GBA-sleep-mode built in (sadly not enough of them,
> but Zelda and Golden Sun spring to mind), does this still work on the DS?
>
> Regards,
> Graham Holden (g-holden AT dircon DOT co DOT uk)
> --
> There are 10 types of people in the world;
> those that understand binary and those that don't.

David

Oops. Let me clarify. The game itself can be put into sleep mode, the DS
doesn't go into sleep mode at all when running GBA games.

"David" <DJElies@cox.net> wrote in message
> Yes, the regular sleep mode function does work (pressing L + R to bring up
> the menu), it just doesn't automatically go into sleep mode when you close
> the DS.
>

> "Graham Holden" <look@bottom.of.post> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:45:14 GMT, drocket <drocket@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>>I think you misunderstand: what we're saying is that the sleep mode
>>>only works on DS games, not GBA games. With a DS game, if you close
>>>the lid, the system pauses the game, turns off both of its screens and
>>>(I _think_) reduces the CPU speed to save even more power. It uses
>>>very little power in this state, so as you discovered, it can stay in
>>>standby mode quite a while (although if you're going to leave it for 3
>>>days, you should probably turn off the DS instead :) )
>>>
>>>If you're playing a GBA game on the DS, though, it doesn't do any of
>>>these things. The game seems to keep right on playing with the screen
>>>still turned on.
>>
>> For GBA games that have GBA-sleep-mode built in (sadly not enough of
>> them,
>> but Zelda and Golden Sun spring to mind), does this still work on the DS?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Graham Holden (g-holden AT dircon DOT co DOT uk)
>> --
>> There are 10 types of people in the world;
>> those that understand binary and those that don't.

Inferno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Ollie" <olliesax@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
> I've had my Nintendo DS for about a month now,
> ||SNIP||
> Ollie

Okay my first month has been one big disaster, someone spilled his hot
chocolate over my DS: WHY I ASK YOU?

"Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message

> "Ollie" <olliesax@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> I've had my Nintendo DS for about a month now,
>> ||SNIP||
>> Ollie
>
> Okay my first month has been one big disaster, someone spilled his hot
> chocolate over my DS: WHY I ASK YOU?

Well, I suspect it's because they lost their grip on the mug, and your DS
was, by happy chance, in the right spot at just the right time. You really
have to admire the odds of that happening again. Talk about luck, eh?

The real question should be: "Did they get a refund on the hot-chocolate as
compensation for having lost some of it?"

D.

Dunny wrote:
> "Inferno" <magicmonster@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
>
>>"Ollie" <olliesax@hotmail.com> schreef in bericht
>>
>>>I've had my Nintendo DS for about a month now,
>>>||SNIP||
>>>Ollie
>>
>>Okay my first month has been one big disaster, someone spilled his hot
>>chocolate over my DS: WHY I ASK YOU?
>

> Well, I suspect it's because they lost their grip on the mug, and your DS
> was, by happy chance, in the right spot at just the right time. You really
> have to admire the odds of that happening again. Talk about luck, eh?
>
> The real question should be: "Did they get a refund on the hot-chocolate as
> compensation for having lost some of it?"
>
> D.

Quite right, Hot Choclate isn't a cheap drink!

Hi Ollie (and all)

I have had my Nintendo DS now since the 7th Feb, and I admit I do love it,
mine was bundled with Mario, and since then I have added Spiderman 2 (also a
brilliant game - play this more!), although I love the side games on the
Mario, still getting to feel my way around the main adventure.

I dont have any issues with the DS, mine came from the U.S.A, so was
imported in, however I did notice on power up that when the screen is black
background there is one pixel that shows red towards to the top right corner
of the touch screen. My dilemma was, do I return it back and get a
replacement or live with it, I did a lot of email correspondence with the
seller in the U.S.A (who is a reputable dealer/seller), and also Nintendo
UK.
My seller was more than happy to exchange it, however I had to take the
following into consideration.
1) I had to re-ship it back out via Customs to them in the USA.
2) They then had to ship it back to me in the UK.

Apart from the time delay when its out my hands and I am without my DS, I
have to bear the issues that its coming back in via Customs again. The pixel
in question is the same size as a pin prick (i.e. tiny), it only shows red
when on a black or dark blue (dark colour) background.

I spoke to Nintendo UK service desk, and checked with them... Here is some
info for all you DS owners in the UK who have bought theirs via the USA or
any other place outside Europe:
This is a quote from the email I sent my seller of my DS:
<quote start>
1) Firstly they cant "guarantee" repair to the unit, despite the fact its
new, partly as its not available in the UK, and they have no units there
either to exchange it with, although have stated if I want to send it in, I
can, but it will depend on the repairer who looks at it on the day and how
he/she feels.
The main unit is the same as the European unit when its available (see also
issue 3 below), its only the charger etc that varies, although they did
confirm that the GBA SP UK charger is the same as the Nintendo DS so anyone
with a GBA SP can use this with their DS.
2) The purchase of the unit was made under USA and Canadian laws/licensing,
so even with a receipt or my contract for repair lies with the USA/Canada,
it has to go back there if any faults appear, if it is repaired in the UK it
will be chargable, although no prices can be given at present since none are
available here since the unit is not available in the UK.
3) UK Ninentendo DS machines when available will be stamped/marked with a
trademark or some sort of kite mark which shows them as non-interference
with other electrical signals/equipment or approval in the UK, and whilst
the basic unit is the same, the absense of this stamp will mean its a
US/Canada product.

The guy I spoke to was nice, he said, "It all depends on how much the pixel
annoys you or detracts from game play, if its only noticable on the black,
then its probably caused by the Green or Blue signal not reaching that
segment, you can send it back to the seller, but the actual shipping costs
as you state may prove to be more expensive than is worth the hassle, and it
all depends on if you feel its necessary. It wont lessen the units lifespan
and will have no effect on its play/use" He then added "I was given an
expensive digital camera for my birthday, after charging it up, I found it
too had a dodgy pixel, if it had been me who had bought it, I would have
returned it to the shop for exchange, but since it was a present, it was not
worth the hassle/aggro to raise a fuss, and in all honesty did not really
affect the function of the unit".
<quote end>

I am actually not 100% bothered, I know the pixel is there, but I dont see
it, mainly as I am so focused when playing on the main game, your eyes dont
have time to stop and say "gosh a pixel is out" <grin>
I thought however readers of this newsgroup would like to see Nintendos
reply to the possibility of getting a non European unit repaired in the UK.
If you do decide/have to get it repaired, be prepared to get it shipped back
to the USA or abroard, or pay Nintendos charges for any repairs if you do
send it to the UK office.

Outside of this, I love the unit, and play it avidly (a 45 year old
gamester!), it passes the time on the train, is great to take on
hols/breaks, and gradually getting my lady friend to play it too :)

Chris

Chris

"Chris King" <chris-king@nospam.boltblue.com> wrote in message
> [...]
dont see
| it, mainly as I am so focused when playing on the main game, your
eyes dont
| have time to stop and say "gosh a pixel is out" <grin>
| I thought however readers of this newsgroup would like to see
Nintendos
| reply to the possibility of getting a non European unit repaired in
the UK.
| If you do decide/have to get it repaired, be prepared to get it
shipped back
| to the USA or abroard, or pay Nintendos charges for any repairs if
you do
| send it to the UK office.
|
| Outside of this, I love the unit, and play it avidly (a 45 year old
| gamester!), it passes the time on the train, is great to take on
| hols/breaks, and gradually getting my lady friend to play it too :)

Flat screen monitors have dead pixels too, the manufacturer usually has
limits for what is acceptable often depending on the position of the
problem.
http://www.elements-pc.com/service/qalcdpixel.htm

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 Chris King <chris-king@nospam.boltblue.com> wrote:

<SNIP>

there's a rumour on the internets (sic) that one can rub a dead pixel
quite hard and it will make the pixel come 'back to life'... although
this is entirely at your own risk.

--

"I hear ma train a comin'
.... hear freedom comin"

Not sure if its a dead pixel, or just not getting a specific colour.
After all when the screen is white or a light colour, you cant find or see
it.

Chris King wrote:
> [...]
> affect the function of the unit".
> <quote end>
>
> I am actually not 100% bothered, I know the pixel is there, but I dont see
> it, mainly as I am so focused when playing on the main game, your eyes dont
> have time to stop and say "gosh a pixel is out" <grin>
> I thought however readers of this newsgroup would like to see Nintendos
> reply to the possibility of getting a non European unit repaired in the UK.
> If you do decide/have to get it repaired, be prepared to get it shipped back
> to the USA or abroard, or pay Nintendos charges for any repairs if you do
> send it to the UK office.
>
> Outside of this, I love the unit, and play it avidly (a 45 year old
> gamester!), it passes the time on the train, is great to take on
> hols/breaks, and gradually getting my lady friend to play it too :)

Hi,

I have had my UK DS for a few days now. I got mine from
www.nintendo-vip.co.uk as a vip prerelease, with it i got Mario 64,
Metroid Prime Hunters amnd WarioWare Touched Demo, as well as an
exclusive T-Shirt. Still early days but so far i am very impressed.
The graphics are better than i expected from the machine, Mario 64 looks
as i remember it on the n64, Can't wait for the UK release so that i
can buy a couple more games

Darren

My DS is still doing good. I put one of the screen protectors on the touch
screen and everything is fine. I still have not been able to pick up any
signals or get a multi-player game going with anybody. I have tried finding
signals in schools, theaters and even starbucks. No luck yet. Looking
forward to Warioware next week.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

> [...]
> honesty did not really affect the function of the unit".
> <quote end>
>
> I am actually not 100% bothered, I know the pixel is there, but I dont see
> it, mainly as I am so focused when playing on the main game, your eyes
> dont have time to stop and say "gosh a pixel is out" <grin>
> I thought however readers of this newsgroup would like to see Nintendos
> reply to the possibility of getting a non European unit repaired in the
> UK. If you do decide/have to get it repaired, be prepared to get it
> shipped back to the USA or abroard, or pay Nintendos charges for any
> repairs if you do send it to the UK office.
>
> Outside of this, I love the unit, and play it avidly (a 45 year old
> gamester!), it passes the time on the train, is great to take on
> hols/breaks, and gradually getting my lady friend to play it too :)

True, the DS is doing horribly in game support. I love mine, in
theory, but there just are too few games. The recent release,
"WarioWare - Touched!" is, in my opinion, the best game on the system
so far. I didn't care for "Mario" much at all.

The ergonomics of the DS are certainly different from the GBA-SP. At
first, I found it unwieldy and uncomfortable. In the months since,
I've developed comfortable ways to hold the DS... so now use it more
than my SP for playing GBA games.

The trick in holding it, without leveraging your thumb, is to support
it with your palm and have your fingers cupping it from behind a bit.
This only works, of course, if you aren't required to use the buttons
during gameplay. My preference is for stylus-only-capable games anyway.

"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> My DS is still doing good. I put one of the screen protectors on the
> touch screen and everything is fine. I still have not been able to pick
> up any signals or get a multi-player game going with anybody. I have
> tried finding signals in schools, theaters and even starbucks. No luck
> yet. Looking forward to Warioware next week.

My husband and I play often in Starbucks but I lost interest in the DS since
no games have been worthwile since the original release games of Urbz and
Mario... I have not taken it out of the case for a month and am tired of
waiting for games. Most folks I know that bought it already traded it in
....for credit towards the PSP that at least has some games promised at
release - whether they actually come through is another question.

I will keep mine for now but am not going to be using it til something worth
my time comes out. I will stick with the GBA on GBA games even though they
don't look as good, since the GBA is way (!!!!) easier on my hands - the
arthritis is really seriously agravated by the poor ergonomic design of the
DS...way too much pressure on my thumb required to hold the unit with one
hand (...and I can't stand the crunching sound from or the pain from my
hand)

Ejiisan wrote:
> True, the DS is doing horribly in game support. I love mine, in
> theory, but there just are too few games. The recent release,
> "WarioWare - Touched!" is, in my opinion, the best game on the system
> so far. I didn't care for "Mario" much at all.
>
> The ergonomics of the DS are certainly different from the GBA-SP. At
> first, I found it unwieldy and uncomfortable. In the months since,
> I've developed comfortable ways to hold the DS... so now use it more
> than my SP for playing GBA games.
>
> The trick in holding it, without leveraging your thumb, is to support
> it with your palm and have your fingers cupping it from behind a bit.
> This only works, of course, if you aren't required to use the buttons
> during gameplay. My preference is for stylus-only-capable games anyway.

I agree with most of what you said, But i have a demo of WarioWare
Tocuhed, and i can't stand it, it drives me mad. On the other hand i
have been enjoying Mario 64 Greatly. Looking foward to animal crossing
and advance wars. Currently its being used as a rather large GBA

Darren

"Darren Jones" <darren@jones12.force9.co.uk> wrote in message

> I agree with most of what you said, But i have a demo of WarioWare
> Tocuhed, and i can't stand it, it drives me mad. On the other hand i have
> been enjoying Mario 64 Greatly. Looking foward to animal crossing and
> advance wars. Currently its being used as a rather large GBA

I am looking forward to Animal Crossing, Castlevania DS ( or whatever the
title is..), Pokemon Diamond and Perl...and Rayman.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Just got a DS with Mario on launch day in Australia, and have already taken
it back for a refund a couple of hours later :( Both screens had a dead
pixel. Top one had one stuck on red, bottom had a green one. On top of this
the whole system left me rather cold.

My main gripes:
-Looks and feels cheap compared to GBA, GBASP or GBC
-Buttons too small. if they couldn't fit 4 decent-sized buttons they should
have just stuck with 2 nice big ones IMO. doesn't make sense to have that
nice big d-pad but tiny buttons
-Awkward/heavy to hold for any length of time, particularly when using the
stylus.
-GBA games look nice but are a bit smaller than on a GBA and don't run 100%
as smooth. I tried Pinball Challenge Deluxe which has silky-smooth scrolling
on the GBA but it hitched slightly on the DS. I will stick to my GBASP for
GBA games.

Playing GBA games on a better screen was really the big drawcard for me with
the DS, since none of the launch games really interested me. Mario looks
decent, but I still have a N64 hooked up in the spare room where I can play
the original on a bigger screen with better controls if I want to.

As such I figured I wouldn't bother with the potential hassle of exchanging
my DS multiple times, just for the sake of Mario (which I'd really only
bought so I could say I had a DS game). I just got my money back for now,
and will possibly buy one again in the future once some more games are
released.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS