Nintendo Network Accounts Tied to Only One Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I don't mind as long as they are going to update this later. There are a few annoyances that need patching, as is with any console. On that note, i love my wiiu.

abbadon_34

Distinguished
Nintendo used to be consumer friendly when they started in the 80's. When and why have they become so tight assed? They aren't high tech, they are supposed to be easy enough for my girlfriend to use, that is their selling point.

edit: I'm sure DRM figures in here somewhere, but seriously, anyone who know or cares enough to get around it doesn't use a WII in the first place.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I don't see why people make a huge deal about this. I also have a PS3 and being able to log in different places isn't really a benefit. I've never needed to log in under a different account somewhere else, if I go to a friends house I just use their account.

As for the "losing" your account if something happens to the console, well that's just misrepresentation. Nintendo will migrate the account info over to a new console if you repair it with them, saved games you'll lose anyway if something happens to a console.

I play consoles for fun quick easy to get into games, my PC is used for the more involved or better looking games (ie Skyrim, BF3).

It most likely has to do with tracking people who do "homebrew". The Nintendo Wii was extremely easy to unlock and install your own homebrew software. It became easy to make into a central emulation console for things like NES, SNES, SEGA / ect.. games along with being a good media center once your loaded external 3rd party software on it. Nintendo lawyers really didn't like this.

Yeah, because Nintendo consoles break easily like the XBoxes and some PS3s (although these are very tough after gen1). Just don't get it stolen or it will be a hassle (to some extent) to get the ID back so you get back all of your games and content.

Cheers!

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Nintendo used to be consumer friendly when they started in the 80's. When and why have they become so tight assed? They aren't high tech, they are supposed to be easy enough for my girlfriend to use, that is their selling point.edit: I'm sure DRM figures in here somewhere, but seriously, anyone who know or cares enough to get around it doesn't use a WII in the first place.[/citation]

Actually this is the way Nintendo has always been it has just been transparent to the consumer up until the N64 when Nintendo failed to upgrade the hardware from a cartridge system due to fear's of pirating same story with the Gamecube and the mini-dvd's.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Nintendo used to be consumer friendly when they started in the 80's. When and why have they become so tight assed?[/citation]

Pressure from investors to be like other console manufacturers who are ALWAYS this inflexible and have complicated networks play into it. Wii's market success brought a lot of money hungry sharks into the N pool. Most things like a large update and this are only signs that Nintendo is newer at a network like the XBox and PSN offer. This WAS one of the complaints gamers had with Wii after all. "We want a network like PSN and XBox, not a kiddie friend code network". You got your wish, don't cry.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]I'm sure DRM figures in here somewhere, but seriously, anyone who know or cares enough to get around it doesn't use a WII in the first place.[/citation]

I'm sure it figures in every aspect of the Wii U. Wii and DS were both massively and easily pirated. They made the 3DS very carefully to prevent flash rom carts and AFAIK it still hasn't been cracked for 3DS. I don't see how being a Wii prevents people from wanting free games.

In other news, all I hear is media outlets picking up every little minor problem. Are you that desperate to shoot down the Wii U? They're going to fix it. Don't be an idiot and unplug it during a firmware update. Don't be an idiot and smash the system in the first couple weeks (even though Nintendo is aware of the issue and would likely help you). What's the point here? The Nintendo Wii U is not made for complete morons? Then again, anyone paying the OPed prechristmas prices probably isn't that bright to begin with.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I really don't care about Nintendo...
but this has to be really annoying for players who do like this console.

Hope for their sake that Nintendo does solves this issues.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I don't see why people make a huge deal about this. I also have a PS3 and being able to log in different places isn't really a benefit. I've never needed to log in under a different account somewhere else, if I go to a friends house I just use their account.As for the "losing" your account if something happens to the console, well that's just misrepresentation. Nintendo will migrate the account info over to a new console if you repair it with them, saved games you'll lose anyway if something happens to a console.I play consoles for fun quick easy to get into games, my PC is used for the more involved or better looking games (ie Skyrim, BF3).[/citation]

Its people like you who keep these gaming industry suit's sticking their heads in the sand, this is a deal breaker for people like me who dont live in the EU or US, it would cost exuberant amounts just to ship it back to nintendo, just to get my account off the damn thing so i could use it on another wii u...Pathetic.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
I swear all these console makers are seriously getting on my nerves, alienating people in the lower-middle class,

NOT ALL OF US HAVE FAST INTERNET,
NOT ALL OF US HAVE UNLIMITED INTERNET,
NOT ALL OF US CAN AFFORD TO SEND BACK A CONSOLE JUST TO GET OUR ACCOUNTS BACK,
NOT ALL OF US LIVE IN COUNTRIES WITH STABLE UN-INTERRUPTING ELECTRICITY,
WE STILL GET F**KED OVER EVEN IF WE USE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT FOR OUR ELECTRICS!!!!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
this might be an ok solution to the big problem PS3 is having with their downloaded games. ps3 has a somewhat "legal" pirating system that works between friends andstolen accounts where one ps3 account with a few games on it can go and download those games on any ps3 without drawbacks.this wont be an issue with the wiiu.

im not really ok with having my account locked to 1 wiiu though. if Im out of warranty, how am I supposed to get back all those games I bought on the wiiu store?

this needs patching fast.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]I don't see why people make a huge deal about this. I also have a PS3 and being able to log in different places isn't really a benefit. I've never needed to log in under a different account somewhere else, if I go to a friends house I just use their account.[/citation]You're an apologist. There is no excuse for this sort of system in 2012.

If I go to a friend's house and play split screen with them, you can be damned sure I want to use my account and they want to use theirs. It's a HUGE benefit. It means any progress I make or items I gain can be saved (to a memory card, USB stick, cloud storage, etc). It means I can't tamper with their saves or progress in some games (depending how the game's save system works). It also tracks achievements. I've been able to do this with my Live account forever, and it's even easier now.

If I played with someone else's account, or with an offline-only account, nothing I do is recorded on my account. That sucks. The only other service that I really like is modern-day Steam (it was horribad in the early days), and their local multiplayer is in its infancy. But then again, PC gamers are used to needing their own box + display and playing over the network. Aside from a little HOMM or similar hotseat.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]I swear all these console makers are seriously getting on my nerves, alienating people in the lower-middle class, NOT ALL OF US HAVE FAST INTERNET, NOT ALL OF US HAVE UNLIMITED INTERNET, NOT ALL OF US CAN AFFORD TO SEND BACK A CONSOLE JUST TO GET OUR ACCOUNTS BACK, NOT ALL OF US LIVE IN COUNTRIES WITH STABLE UN-INTERRUPTING ELECTRICITY, WE STILL GET F**KED OVER EVEN IF WE USE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT FOR OUR ELECTRICS!!!![/citation]

Hey, calm down. Let's real talk a second. You can't afford decent internet or to send a console in (assuming it isn't free, which it very well may be)? How did you afford to buy a console immediately after it was released at the highest price it could possibly be, in many cases overpriced? Maybe you should learn to live better within your means and buy what you can afford then. Newegg had an Xbox 360 BUNDLE for $200. Being an early adopter comes with a price, everyone on Tom's should know that by now. I don't think anyone should have to sacrifice just because some people can't afford to keep up. That huge update was internet content, if you have a slow internet you probably don't need it. Not necessary for playing games. Nintendo more than anyone caters to people with lower budgets, no mandatory subscription or 600 dollar hardware here.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Hey, calm down. Let's real talk a second. You can't afford decent internet or to send a console in (assuming it isn't free, which it very well may be)? How did you afford to buy a console immediately after it was released at the highest price it could possibly be, in many cases overpriced? Maybe you should learn to live better within your means and buy what you can afford then. Newegg had an Xbox 360 BUNDLE for $200. Being an early adopter comes with a price, everyone on Tom's should know that by now. I don't think anyone should have to sacrifice just because some people can't afford to keep up. That huge update was internet content, if you have a slow internet you probably don't need it. Not necessary for playing games. Nintendo more than anyone caters to people with lower budgets, no mandatory subscription or 600 dollar hardware here.[/citation]
wow you're a moron

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Hey, calm down. Let's real talk a second. You can't afford decent internet or to send a console in (assuming it isn't free, which it very well may be)? How did you afford to buy a console immediately after it was released at the highest price it could possibly be, in many cases overpriced? Maybe you should learn to live better within your means and buy what you can afford then. Newegg had an Xbox 360 BUNDLE for $200. Being an early adopter comes with a price, everyone on Tom's should know that by now. I don't think anyone should have to sacrifice just because some people can't afford to keep up. That huge update was internet content, if you have a slow internet you probably don't need it. Not necessary for playing games. Nintendo more than anyone caters to people with lower budgets, no mandatory subscription or 600 dollar hardware here.[/citation]
Completely agree with you. If your power is that unstable you have no business do a firmware update on any modern hardware no matter what it is! Any device loosing power in the middle of a update like that has a chance of being bricked it is a fact. The Wii U's warning was quite plain and clear NOT to power off or unplug the unit until the update was complete. Ignoring the warning and powering off anyway is just moronic and they should loose there hardware for it.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
With all the posts on the Wii U we still don't know what's inside it,apart from a few vague details. Would it be possible for TH to take apart the chips and look at them under a microscope and see how many shader units and processor cores and whatnot it has? Things like what Chipworks did for the iPhones and other devices. Is anything about the design preventing that from happening?

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
If you are getting mad about the console makers saying you can't do this, you can't do that, you have to have have a 1000Mbps internet connection to use our console, why not take a step back and go to where it all began?

Buy a PC and make your own rules....... :) consoles suck, with a PC you are not "stuck" by anyone's rules...... if a game maker decides to be a pain, you don't buy there sofware and the computer is still good and you buy software from the companies that support your views (Aside from CrA$$le

[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]wow I'm a moron[/citation]

Fixed it for you. ;)

If you cant comprehend the "common sense" to what that person posted, then i would highly recommend not even replying.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is why I've always waited before buying new stuff. Better to learn of all the problems before you get in too deep. I assume buying all your games on a disc rather than downloading is the best solution to this issue. Either way I expect Nintendo will have to patch this quickly or risk tanking sales long term.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]I swear all these console makers are seriously getting on my nerves, alienating people in the lower-middle class, NOT ALL OF US HAVE FAST INTERNET, NOT ALL OF US HAVE UNLIMITED INTERNET, NOT ALL OF US CAN AFFORD TO SEND BACK A CONSOLE JUST TO GET OUR ACCOUNTS BACK, NOT ALL OF US LIVE IN COUNTRIES WITH STABLE UN-INTERRUPTING ELECTRICITY, WE STILL GET F**KED OVER EVEN IF WE USE PROTECTION EQUIPMENT FOR OUR ELECTRICS!!!![/citation]

So what are trying to say?

They should make a console that has a built in fusion reactor with a FTL internet connection that is always on?

Status
Not open for further replies.