Nintendo Of America CEO Iwata Passes Away At Age 55

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Nintendo hasnt been perfect these past 5 years, but I admire the heck outta' their corporate philosophy and focus on "experiences".

Iwata seemed like a cool dude, an old school Japanese executive who still liked playing games. R.I.P Sir

BiggerBluer

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2015
We all have lost a great mind. I do not own a wii U but I can say that it is a sad day for all video gamers. I hope the communities of all platforms come together to pay respects. rip

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
what kind of news is that? The article doesn't even mention how he passed away!! Only the first sentence of the whole article is about his death and the rest has NOTHING to do with it. As a news article, it is a epic failed.

1/10

Now I need to go another site to read more about it, that is how useless of this article...

sortinoss

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
bile duct Cancer killed Nintendo of Japan President.

Reggie Fils-Aimé is CEO of Nintend of of America

(I got of 404 error the time I put this message in ) I don't care to edit it over and over again, sorry if I'd made a type

what kind of news is that? The article doesn't even mention how he passed away!! Only the first sentence of the whole article is about his death and the rest has NOTHING to do with it. As a news article, it is a epic failed.

1/10

Now I need to go another site to read more about it, that is how useless of this article...

In the second to last paragraph, I clearly state that he passed away from a bile duct growth. Please read the article carefully before commenting.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001

1/10

In the second to last paragraph, I clearly state that he passed away from a bile duct growth. Please read the article carefully before commenting.

ok my mistake, i change the rating to 3/10.

If this is your way to write news article, I suggest you should write news article "carefully" too. I just google "Satoru Iwata" and read the first 10 articles about his death, ALL of them will state his cause of death in first or second sentence. I don't need to "carefully read" through 7 paragraphs of words that are really not related to the news title.

whassup

Reputable
May 21, 2015

1/10

What he pointed out is a valid issue me too feat like him. When people read out death of a person more importantly famous person, they look out for how the person died first than looking for his "History" and his "glorious achievements" which most people here know that. The editorial could be better than this than asking people to read your article carefully.

Sad to see an innovator lost at such a young age. Can't say much for the wii and the competition has focused on stronger hardware and graphics. Still miss the oldies like mario and zelda back when gaming was maybe a bit simpler, unique and fun. Even if the interactive approach doesn't fit with all types of games, I give him credit for bucking the trends and doing something different rather than being another 'me too' in the game industry. RIP

sortinoss

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Are you planning to correct this Article?

Nintendo of Japan
Nintendo of Japan
Nintendo of Japan
Nintendo of Japan

HE was NOT the CEO of Nintendo of America.

This is not a mistake. Please view the source for this article.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713e.pdf

It would probably be more accurate to say that Iwata was CEO of Nintendo, as he was CEO of the entire company including Japan, America, and all other areas. However, Nintendo opted to list him as Nintendo of America CEO, even in the Japanese version of the obituary.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2015/150713.pdf

Therefore I didn't want to alter his titles as the company listed them.

sortinoss

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
Google gets it and says -

Satoru Iwata, the president and CEO of Nintendo Co. has died due to a bile duct tumor, the company announced in a statement today. He was 55. Iwata,

-----> who previously also served as CEO of Nintendo of America <-------

---

THEN May 25, 2006, Fils-Aimé became the President and Chief Operating Officer of Nintendo of America after former president,

The Japanse press you linked to was listing HIS past positions

he WAS NOT CEO of Nintendo of America at the time of his death.

sortinoss

Honorable
Apr 29, 2012
OK, I found the 2013 news.

So he was the CEO of Nintendo of Japan, and ALSO the CEO of Nintendo of America.

So he was his own boss.

Right. Reggie is an important person at Nintendo, and I believe he is President of Nintendo of America, but Iwata was the big boss. I suppose Reggie has some potential to become the next CEO though.

Mr Soup

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Think about how often you hear about corruption, abusive practices, criminal activity, etc. when reading about CEO's or any other prominent figures in any business. It is so rare to see someone in such a position being so universally loved and respected. He took pay cuts. He continued to work with the rank and file programmers. He continued to love his company, the video game industry, and most of all the legions of gamers to whom he brought entertainment and joy. If more people in positions like his had the same positive attitude, gracious nature, and child-like enthusiasm for life, work, and people; the world would be a much better place. May he rest in peace

ChronosVRdS

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2014

He took pay cuts to avoid layoffs, as he said a employee fearing layoffs can't maintain the same level of quality at work.
This kind way of thinking was critical to maintain work flowing even in the bad state of the current console.

So true. Really, I feel I didn't do enough to talk about how much he did for Nintendo in this article. I'm sad for his passing, and so I kept it short, but these are exactly the things people need to remember about his passing. Nintendo really wouldn't be where it is today without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.