Nintendo Of Europe Halts New Nintendo 3DS Production

Status
Not open for further replies.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
I don't really see this as a big deal. The new 3ds is offered in small size and XL. I have the XL and imagine most consumers are purchasing this model which is why they are stopping production on the smaller version. Not to mention they also have two versions of the 2DS

Considering that the New 3DS only contains 1GB of internal flash memory, along with a 4GB Micro SD, I doubt that would make much of an impact, compared to the Switch that contains 32GB, or newer smartphones that can contain 64GB or more. The Switch might cost more, but Nintendo likely makes more profit off the sale of a 3DS than they do a Switch, at least in the short term.

More likely, they are just ramping down production in anticipation of the Switch largely taking over the handheld side of the market over the next year or so, at least in terms of new hardware sales. The 3DS came out over 6 years ago, and the DS came out 6 years before that. Nintendo usually operates on a roughly 6 year cycle, so it's simply nearing the end of its run, and the Switch will be taking its place. I suspect they might even launch a more compact version of the switch before long. Maybe it won't have the dock, or removable controllers, but will play the same games, albeit in a slightly smaller form factor.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
"The company declined to comment on why New Nintendo 3DS production is ending."

Probably because of MagnetPWN? If it's a hardware exploit, there's only two things they could do: new hardware revision or stop manufacturing it, and they chose the latter. It was getting kind of crowded anyway ("old" 3DS, "old" 3DS XL, New 3DS, New 3DS XL, 2DS, 2DS XL, New 2DS, and soon New 2DS XL, fuck me...).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS