Nintendo Ramps Up SNES Classic Production, Revives NES Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I wonder how far they plan to take this idea. It doesn't seem unreasonable to produce a Nintendo 64 Classic Edition. But then will we see a GameCube Classic? In 2021, will we see a Wii classic? Nintendo's scientists were so busy asking if they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.

I would like to see a Gameboy (+color) remake personally. Keep everything the same except for a backlit screen. It doesn't take much processing power to emulate a gameboy. You could pack a dense lithium ion battery into it and it would run for days on a full charge.

bloodroses

Distinguished
Biggest thing is hopefully they don't turn these back into limited production runs. I think Nintendo learned from their NES Classic fiasco; considering it looks like it's getting re-released. I wonder if they changed something in the hardware to prevent hacking? That might have explained the such short production run. If they do/did, I can see a bunch of upset future buyers....

Btw Agentlozen, that is a great idea to do similar for their GB/GBC/GBA lines of systems as well.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009

If Nintendo makes an N64 classic, that's where it will stop as that was the last cartridge based game system. All 20 games on the SNES Classic probably take up less than 80 MB of storage space (only 2 games were larger than 4, and neither is included w/ classic), compared to the average Gamecube game, about 1.5GB's. N64 games topped out at 64MB, with most 32MB or smaller. The cost difference between a few MB's of flash and 32-64GB's of flash is pretty significant, making it difficult to see how Nintendo would be able to keep the cost below $100.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Nintendo has the agility of a Orange buffoon riding a elephant. They are trying very hard, and oh so carefully not to cannibalize their backwards compatibility titles on Switch and Wi U. You know, the ones where Nintendo charges you $59.99 for Mario Kart 64, or how about $39.99 for Super Mario World on the Wii.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
Do people really enjoy playing such low resolution games on their 70" screens? Each pixel in the game must be about an inch big.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
NES was released at a time when the average TV was about 23" in size. By the time the SNES arrived, average sets were around 27". A "modest" 55" today is about 4 times that size.

bloodroses

Distinguished

Graphics aren't the only thing that makes a game. One of the nice things about the NES/SNES/Genesis game lineup was the game play; especially if you liked platformers.

The NES classic also has graphic filters in it to improve the blocky graphics. I'm assuming the SNES classic is the same way. Being a regular Retroarch emulator user myself, filters can make a world of difference.

The Gameboy SP is already a thing with a backlit screen. The thing is, Gameboy is already perfect. Phenomenal battery life, insane durability,

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

You're totally on point. In the early 90's, police agencies used Gameboys as protective plates in their bullet proof vests. They were lighter than lead (not by much) and officers could play Tetris off duty.

If a Gameboy classic followed suit with the other Classic products it would have 20-30 games pre-loaded on to it and the price would be reasonable. It's easier to get into the Gameboy scene when you don't have to buy $400 worth of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.