Nintendo Reminds Wii U Owners That It's a New Console

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
the title should say "nintendo is sad that wii u doesn't print money like wii"
with things like tablets and cheaper computers, consoles are becoming more irrelevant... sony and microsoft have to be bringing a lot to the table or they will suffer the same fate

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Your average person cares less about specs and more about features/functionality. I think this is more of an advertisement/product development fail on Nintendo's part.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
You know where might have been a good place to do this? At some kind of big conference where there is tons of media and lots of gamers paying attention, preferably in the early summer... say, June. If only there was a way they could go to something like that and hold like, I don't know, and hour to hour and half long press conference all about whatever they felt like talking about. Too bad that doesn't exist. #sarcasm

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
So wait. This "Wii U" thing here - it does everything the Wii did, but with some new features and games? That sounds very much like an upgrade to me.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Consumers should remind Nintendo that not only is the hardware outdated and weak, but the number of quality game releases lacks as much as it did for the Wii. They absolutely blew it with the Wii; so many consoles, so many quality-title-deprived Wii owners, and yet here we are again, except no one is buying the new console.

When the crap that runs on the console only looks like a slight upgrade, people are going to think they are dealing with an upgrade.
Wii U seems like Wii XL or something. Ever notice how there are very few screenshots along with descriptions for Wii U titles?

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
How can something that is hardly an improvement from the N64 (Wii and Wii-U) be next-generation? The thing can barely call itself "NEW" without facing false advertisement lawsuits.

I don't want excuses if I owned this console. The reason that this console isn't successful is partially due to the remote the interface the games and the lack of graphics within the console sure games may be okay now but imagine time goes by and new games are made for the console how will they compare to ps4 or xbox 720.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
@DRosencraft
this big conference u are suggesting, an expo as u will, do u think it would be good to have it in a random city, like i don't know like LA

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
First of all Jane, you completely failed here. Like you said in your OWN article, the message was sent to Wii consoles, NOT Wii U consoles. They are not reminding Wii U owners they have a new console, they are informing the original Wii owners to maybe upgrade their product. Kind of redundant, their marketing should be informing them of that. A lot of Wii owners however are new/casual players and apparently don't understand new consoles come out more frequently than once a century. Marketing has been pretty bad, but I can't comprehend how they don't understand it's a new system. Snarky PC gamer comments aside, there are a lot of people who have went "What? What is that?"
I don't even know why most of the games would "look better than xbox/ps3" when most of the games for it are just ports from those systems. That's what publishers want these days, easy ports. Publishers aren't trying to make you happy, they're trying to skim every dollar off you they can. It's not a question of "best platform for the game", it's a question of "where do we get best sales?" Madden could be amazing with the second screen doing plays. Nope, last one didn't sell enough no Madden on Wii U this year. I'm sure they're annoyed enough at having to figure out uses for the second screen and actually work for their sales. To say it's not an upgrade from Wii graphically however is to say there is no difference between SD and HD. What are you, blind?
The real problem here is a lack of games on it. Even their own Nintendo Directs are more focused on the budding 3DS and have little to promise for Wii U. They could however be saving up announcements for E3. I'm pretty sure if they announced a new Smash Bros or Zelda for the holidays a lot of voices would be silenced.
"But they aren't going to E3!"
So what? Do you understand what E3 is? You are not going. Journalists go there, take pictures for you, report back, and you read what happened and watch videos. Nintendo just cut out the middle man. They can drop those trailers on the same day over Nintendo Direct instead of a crowded, greasy stage and it will have the same effect. E3 is just a news announcement holiday. Journalists do not report back to you, Nintendo gives it to you, direct. E3 does not benefit me at all, I'd rather they save the money. Publishers in general are questioning E3 this year after how poorly last year went.
Really, so much hatemongering. The reason they're trying so hard to get them in homes is because people that actually own them are satisfied with everything other than a lack of games, which will roll in eventually. Nintendo is in the red and plowing ahead, Sony has been selling off and shutting down assets left and right to get in the black, guess who's actually doing better financially?

Not sure why so many people marked you down, but you are absolutely correct. Tons of people (myself included) purchased the Wii because it was different, fun, and cheap. The only issue with the console was the lack of games. Seriously, the ONLY issue.
The bundled games were fun, but the novelty wore off after a while. Zelda was fun, but there was no followup with other interesting non-grind RPGs. Galaxys and Mario Bros were fun, but one cannot live on mario alone. Outside of that there were very few wii games that interested me, and then of the games that I purchased most of them only held my attention for a day or two. I am not about to shell out more money for a console without cheap fun games for it no matter how 'cool' or 'innovative' the console may be.

Nintendo is in a rough spot. iPhone/iPad has killed the mobile console market. Steam has moved a lot of the cheap and/or indie gaming to the PC (win/mac/linux). MS has started developing xbox for WP into a more serious platform, and there are rumors that the new Xbox will be more of a service with games playable on the console or any capable PC/tablet with the win8 store on it. Steambox and Ouya promise cheap but fun gaming experiences, and cloud gaming (in spite of last year's set backs) is something that a lot of companies are pouring tons of money into which will eventually make consoles useless.
The Wii had lots of promise to be a great console, but lacked support, so no amount of support will make the WiiU sell, and all of these new consoles and gaming sources will make any next gen Nintendo obsolete. It is going to be time to transition from a platform company to a game dev company. They already make some great in-house games, they just need to offer them on other people's platforms and rake in the dough.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
I also remind Nintendo Wii U owners that this new console just catch up to the other 2 consoles that release 6+ years ago.

HikariWS

Honorable
May 2, 2013
HD games were brought by competitors 10 years ago... It was ok for Wii to be weaker, if it was aimed for casual gamers that don't wanna spend a lot for playing, or if it's the second console at home. That said 5 years ago. But now, how will they expect to keep it for 5 years with PS4 around?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
they passed on the event that would market them exponentially, probably because they were afraid of the other 2 console reveals would make the wii u look bad. you wouldnt just pass on a great marketing opportunity because of that unless you have nothing important and exciting coming to your console. and you just dont hand your main competition all the glory and bail out, and still say your in the fight. if nintendo really doesnt have anything exciting planned for the future, then they are doing something horribly wrong with this console. E3 is going to be a massacre for the wiiu.
I want to be excited for this console and I was interested in buying t close after launch because I thought thered be great games using the tablet interface and tv. but I held off because there were no good exclusives except for mario(which Im tired of). whether I buy this console if up to nintendo and if they get developers(or more inhouse studios) to create exclusives that are great.

G

How about all of you grow out of the kiddie console stage and get a real gaming platform. The PC...I take gaming serious.

G

I'm not following the intent of this message that was sent out. You're telling me that people who bought a new console didn't realize they were buying a new console so Nintendo has to explain it to them after the fact? Amazing.

mamailo

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2011
Nintendo have shoot in the foot TWICE. Many parents (the ones with the money) though the Nintendo 3DS was just a version of the Nintendo DS.
Some people just never learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.