Nintendo Revolution Info

It's about the size of 3 PS 2 game cases stacked on top each other. You
load the disc in as if you were putting a CD in your Car stereo so it
zips in. It can play Game Cube games. Free Online like XBOX Live but
it's free. You can download any past games for the NES, SNES, 64, and
Game Boy Games. Most titles are free some will cost like a buck. It
comes out March to mid 2006. That's all I know.

"Ryan Is Extreme" <Wolverine_02@webtv.net> wrote in message
> It's about the size of 3 PS 2 game cases stacked on top each other. You
> load the disc in as if you were putting a CD in your Car stereo so it
> zips in. It can play Game Cube games. Free Online like XBOX Live but
> it's free. You can download any past games for the NES, SNES, 64, and
> Game Boy Games. Most titles are free some will cost like a buck. It
> comes out March to mid 2006. That's all I know.

a motorized slot loader which can take GC sized disks and regular sized
disks?, that sounds potentially problematic. Then again, do we know if the
revolution will use mini disks as well?. I'm really curious to see how they
will handle their old libraries, I cant believe theyll be giving the full
games away like has been rumored (im hoping to be proved wrong of
course.....).

Have you not been paying attention? Tut tut. The Revolution uses discs
the same size as standard DVDs. In fact, it will also be able to play
DVD movies. And no, they aren't giving all their old games away - there
will either be a charge to download them, or they'll be given away as
part of a promotion or competition.

Drag0n

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

The dvd movie playing may require an addon I think. But with the
rumoured price of €199 for the console I would say that paying
€20-30 for the addon wouldn't be too bad. But then again, my laptop
plays dvd's and I also have 2 dvd players, so I won't need this, but I
agree others do need this. All I want to do is look at how shiny and
cute it looks while playing great fun games.

I think it will probably be less than €199 IMHO...remember, the
GameCube was released at only £130 (about €150?).

On 13 Jul 2005 10:57:22 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The dvd movie playing may require an addon I think.

why? Playing a DVD is the simplist thing in the world, also why the
hell would you want to play a DVD on your videogame? Maybe to save
room if you short on space, but a DVD player is so cheap and everyone
has one already so I dont see this as a big deal and certainly dont
see people paying extra for this feature!

Drag0n

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

Ok. No need for the flaming, I said that not everyone needs this addon.
The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
decode the dvd data. The nintendo revolution "may" only be shipping
with the chip to decode the game data from their proprietry disc
format.
The reason I would think that other people are crying out for dvd video
capability is because they're using the console in college or somewhere
else which is away from the dvd player they have at home. Please tell
us if you think I'm wrong.

drag0n wrote:
> The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
> decode the dvd data.

I think the addon is just a way to unlock the DVD playing functions, as
a way of selling the console at a lower price. If it had the capability
built-in, Nintendo would have to pay the MPAA (or maybe the Japanese
equivalent) a set fee for every console. By selling it seperately, only
those who want it will pay, saving Nintendo and the customer money.
Microsoft did the same with the original Xbox.

blork wrote in rec.games.video.nintendo:

> If it had the capability
> built-in, Nintendo would have to pay the MPAA (or maybe the Japanese
> equivalent) a set fee for every console.

Nintendo would have to pay someone for using DVD technology in the
Revolution, but it wouldn't be the MPAA, the RIAA, or JASRAC. See:

DVD FAQ: Who invented DVD and who owns it? Whom to contact for
specifications and licensing?
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#6.1

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, remove "nospam" and swap "cast" and "net"

On 14 Jul 2005 01:04:38 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
wrote:

>The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
>decode the dvd data.

You dont need a "chip" to decode DVD data. The Revolution will
surely have enough horsepower to decode a DVD.

In article <8judd1l6rog9uisl4g8pn7trdehadfoadl@4ax.com>,
kevin <kevnospam242@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 14 Jul 2005 01:04:38 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>The reason the addon "may" be required is because you need the chip to
>>decode the dvd data.
>
>You dont need a "chip" to decode DVD data. The Revolution will
>surely have enough horsepower to decode a DVD.

Yes, but you need to pay for the license that authorizes the software that
decodes the DVD. That Jack built. That's why the decoding is generally the
job of a separate piece of hardware, even if the console can natively
perform the DVD playback function. Making the decoder a separate component
means that not every console needs to include in its cost the license fee.

It's dumb, and it's one of the indications that DRM and other legal wet
blankets on top of technology are holding us back. Nobody's disputing that
part of the facts.

-KKC, a mighty killer. In the last week I have slain three laptop hard
drives. Mightily and in great pain did they die.
--
--S.S.B. is the code name for America's daring, highly | kendrick @io .com
trained special mission force. Its purpose: to |

Drag0n

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

Kevin wrote: "You dont need a "chip" to decode DVD data. The
Revolution will
surely have enough horsepower to decode a DVD."

True, but in this case you do. Because of licensing and costs.

On 15 Jul 2005 02:38:53 -0700, "drag0n" <diarmuidbourke@gmail.com>
wrote:

>True, but in this case you do. Because of licensing and costs.

I see what you mean, but they could liscense the tech and include it
in software as well.

Drag0n

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

Ok, back on topic. They say it's 3DVD cases in size. But does that
include the PSU? Or will this be a case where the PSU is external and
bulky like the mac mini?

well, in most of nintendo's old consoles the power supply has been
external, so i think its a fair bet that the Revo's will also be,
especially cosidering the size of the machine and the fact that it will
supposedly be even smaller come release day. actually i find external
PSUs to be a benefit in most cases; back in the day of the Dreamcast,
mine would always reset itself because of the overheating. never had
that problem with the GCN.

Drag0n

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

Interesting, thanks for that. The last Nintendo (last console) I ever
had was a NES which was internal, so i didn't know. This revolution has
sparked up my interest in gaming again. I felt it had gone way to
overpriced and boring in the last few years. But now with nintendo
going back to focusing on entertainment rather than competition i think
it will improve.

blork wrote:
> well, in most of nintendo's old consoles the power supply has been
> external, so i think its a fair bet that the Revo's will also be,
> especially cosidering the size of the machine and the fact that it will
> supposedly be even smaller come release day. actually i find external
> PSUs to be a benefit in most cases; back in the day of the Dreamcast,
> mine would always reset itself because of the overheating. never had
> that problem with the GCN.

Your NES had an internal PSU?!? What model was that? All the NES units
I''ve seen had an external PSU. The closest Nintendo has been to an
internal PSU was the N64, in which the PSU was inserted into a cavity
in the console.

"Dan Mazurowski" <kingsmedley@yahoo.com> writes:
> The closest Nintendo has been to an internal PSU was the N64, in which
> the PSU was inserted into a cavity in the console.

I've always admired that design -- it seems to combine many of the
advantages of both internal and external power supplies (the only
downside I can see being that you must design for heat flowing from the
PSU into the main unit).

-Miles
--
`To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to,
all of life's problems' --Homer J. Simpson

Drag0n

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2005

hmmm,, It's been a lot longer than i had imagined since ive seen my
nes. I thought it did... at least i don't recall saying, geez wtf is
that box next to it? like i did when i saw the mac mini.