Nintendo Sold 1.75 Million Gaming Machines in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
The company today announced that it shifted 1.75 million consoles for the month of November and is partially crediting Black Friday for the successful numbers.

Where did it shift them to? Or did the pile just lean??

Seriously its a 9 sentence "article" how hard is it to read it back first...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
All these articles about monthly sale, quarterly sales etc.
Is it just me or do we not care about it ?

I mean if this was the Wall Street Journal or Investor's Monthly I'd understand.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]All these articles about monthly sale, quarterly sales etc.Is it just me or do we not care about it ?I mean if this was the Wall Street Journal or Investor's Monthly I'd understand.[/citation]

Exactly, this site is supposed to be about the technology...
not the who sold what - when - or where or for how much....

This so called "articles" are merely advertisements, nothing more.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]All these articles about monthly sale, quarterly sales etc.Is it just me or do we not care about it ?I mean if this was the Wall Street Journal or Investor's Monthly I'd understand.[/citation]

And yet at the same time people on this site were predicting Nintendo's failure. This points to the opposite.

Sorry but this is tech news, just because the numbers don't involve clock speeds or computing cores doesn't mean it isn't useful or interesting for some of us.

Besides I haven't seen any Nintendo ads on Toms

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
oh god please shut up, there's at least one of you in every damn article and it's annoying as hell.

im sure scalpers helped push that number way way way up.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]im sure scalpers helped push that number way way way up.[/citation]

Scalpers still sell the consoles to other people, it's still a sale. There's a lot of interesting numbers here. I can't imagine why so many are still buying original Wiis at this point, I guess there's still a market of people who aren't willing to pay for a console unless it's absolutely dirt cheap. 3DS sales seem to be debunking the garbage people keep shoveling about how mobile gaming is going to replace handhelds. When's that going to happen then? Lot of good titles on the 3DS horizon now that it's digging in. As far as the Wii U goes...well really they're selling what they wanted. They intentionally dried up supply channels to increase demand, or those numbers could have been higher. It's still before Christmas and Gamestop has them in stock, so I think supply is overwhelming demand at this point. They might have to do a price cut post holiday to get these things moving through next year.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]And yet at the same time people on this site were predicting Nintendo's failure. This points to the opposite.Sorry but this is tech news, just because the numbers don't involve clock speeds or computing cores doesn't mean it isn't useful or interesting for some of us.Besides I haven't seen any Nintendo ads on Toms[/citation]

This is all the of the hardware they are selling combined, not just the Wii U.

The Xbox 360 still sold nearly double then the Wii U did.

Sorry, numbers aren't on your side.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]This is all the of the hardware they are selling combined, not just the Wii U.The Xbox 360 still sold nearly double then the Wii U did. Sorry, numbers aren't on your side.[/citation]

Missed most of the points of my comment, but thanks nonetheless ;)

WiiU sells 1.7 Million units over a 2 week period, and is considered a success.

MS sells ~4 million units over their opening weekend, and is considered a failure.

Perhaps we need to get a feel for market share rather than raw number sales? Personally I see the 1.7 million sales of the first console refresh in 5 years and kinda expect a bit better numbers than that.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Hopefully Nintendo is quick to get the kinks out of the WiiU. Though no modern console seems to be without launch problems now.

[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]WiiU sells 1.7 Million units over a 2 week period, and is considered a success.MS sells ~4 million units over their opening weekend, and is considered a failure.Perhaps we need to get a feel for market share rather than raw number sales? Personally I see the 1.7 million sales of the first console refresh in 5 years and kinda expect a bit better numbers than that.[/citation]

I'm not sure where you're getting your numbers. By Microsoft I assume you are talking about the 360 and not the original Xbox which sold less. But taking Microsoft's 360 during the month of November when it first launched the sales were this.

North America 326,000

Europe 300,000

Japan ??? (Certainly very little as it took until April 2006 to pass 100,000)

Now this is within a entire month time frame of sales as well so your 4 million in a mere weekend is just not close to the realm of reality. Your claim is so outrageous that it is pure ignorance.
Why even blatantly lie about such a trivial thing? How does the Wii U's success at-least in terms of sales thus far harm you any?

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]s3anister[/nom]And Microsoft still sold 1.26 million units of a seven year old console in November, making it the top-selling console in the market for the 23rd consecutive month.Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/X [...] 19642.html[/citation]

Marketing and sales are a bit more complicated than a few raw numbers. 360s were sold at some very aggressive pricing during Black Friday, it doesn't surprise me at all. Are they going to sell that well in December? Probably not, it was the pricing that moved them. Wii U is a brand new system, it could have sold many more units if they had more stock on hand, but they were not available or priced to move on Black Friday as they are new hardware. (Spoiler Alert: Black Friday is just stores liquidating last year's models.) They instead restricted the stock to increase their long term demand. Now that they've made the Wii U a must have Christmas item with the initial low stock, they've got models in stock to fill orders for Christmas. I expect those numbers will pull up by January, but whether or not they keep selling Wii U after that depends on the system's actual value.

[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]This is all the of the hardware they are selling combined, not just the Wii U.The Xbox 360 still sold nearly double then the Wii U did. Sorry, numbers aren't on your side.[/citation]

Selling a tenth as well as the Xbox 360 is still potentially a very successful business venture, especially considering how much smaller Nintendo is compared to Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.