Nintendo: Switch Joy-Con Issues Are No Biggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
So they have had reported problems with the joy cons but hey it is not a big deal. Maybe it is or maybe not. The problem here is this sort of thing should have never made it out of the testing phase and released like that. Now maybe a firmware fixes it but you would have thought this problem would have surfaced before it was released and the fix if only software would have been done already. If it is a hardware problem then that as well should have been fixed before release. Some will say oh but maybe it was something that never surfaced until in certain types of conditions. Well it is up to Nintendo to test under all kinds of conditions so things like this don't happen after release. I am not picking on Nintendo here I sai that every company should do the same kind of testing to make sure things happen and work the expected way once a customer buys your product.

Giroro

Splendid
"We told people they are holding it wrong, and nothing else. We are very proud about how we fixed the issue"
-Nintendo.

So it's simple, don't use the left joycon around other wireless devices... Including wifi, your phone, your TV, and the right joycon.

dstarr3

Distinguished
A thing like this is usually referred to as a "known shippable." They know the problem exists, but they deem it low-priority-enough to fix it after release rather than before, if ever. It's not great, but it's certainly nothing unique to Nintendo.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
My neighbor already returned his. The system is an absolute joke. No real way to protect the screen or use a nice leather cover. Just piss poor engineering all around. I don't even think Pokemon can save this pile of crap.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
It may be a manufacturing defect in a small percentage of joycons. I placed my switch 50 feet away and I stood in my kitchen with the joycon's line of sight obstructed by cabinets and I could not get a single de-sync issue to appear. And that's pretty fucking solid, it shouldn't even be that good.

If you're one of the tiny percentage of people with a defective console / joycon, just utilize your warranty and get a replacement. Just like you do with every other electronic product on the planet.

Also, you can protect your screen easily 2 different ways:
1. Don't jam it in the dock as hard as you can like a moron.
2. Get a tempered glass screen protector for $5(Which you should have because it's a f'n mobile device.), which doesn't affect it's ability to dock or undock at all.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011

A tempered glass screen protector isn't going to stop thousands of kids from dropping the thing to the floor and shattering a $300 device to peices. You're a moron if you think a piece of glass will stop that.

My phone has a protective rubber case around it. Nintendo's design disallows people from using anything like this because of the way the controllers connect and also the necessity to dock in the bottom.

Geef

Distinguished
Check on Youtube, there is a video of a dude opening up the left switch controller and seeing that the antennae is set so its covered up by your hand when you hold it so he soldered his own copper wire antennae into it and then it worked awesomely.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
A tempered glass screen protector isn't going to stop thousands of kids from dropping the thing to the floor and shattering a $300 device to peices. You're a moron if you think a piece of glass will stop that.

Wurkfur, if you let your kids run around with your $300 electronics devices I'd suggest it's you that's the moron.
I have a simple, ingenious solution for this, I have my Switch, my kids have a second hand DS that I paid $20 for on Ebay. Problem solved!

My phone has a protective rubber case around it. Nintendo's design disallows people from using anything like this because of the way the controllers connect and also the necessity to dock in the bottom.

Meet the officially licensed Nintendo Switch case by PowerA:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Switch-Hybrid-Cover-Officially/dp/B01N22YBVY

and the 3rd party Nintendo Switch case by Orzly
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Multi-Functional-Protective-Protect-Console/dp/B06XBRF7N4/ref=pd_sim_63_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EP8BR69GS6MXY37ND5EG

alextheblue

Distinguished

You're telling me that nobody should allow the biggest audience of the NINTENDO Switch (kids) to use the Switch? Are you serious? Wow. Also the cases you listed can NOT be used with the dock. You have to remove the case to dock it. It was a bit of an oversight on Nintendo's part to not bother putting any thought into this.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
You're telling me that nobody should allow the biggest audience of the NINTENDO Switch (kids) to use the Switch? Are you serious? Wow. .

Nope, the Switch is clearly and consistently marketed towards adults (example: http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13351952/nintendo-switch-reveal-video-children-appeal / https://www.ft.com/content/c3c17fae-974a-11e6-a1dc-bdf38d484582).
The 2DS is the device Nintendo advertise for kids.

Also the cases you listed can NOT be used with the dock.

I don't understand why you would need a case when the device is docked.

dstarr3

Distinguished

You don't, but if you dock and undock frequently, that means removing and fitting a case repeatedly, which is just a PITA at the best of times. And considering this is the console's big selling point, to the extent that they even named the bloody console after this feature, it's not really the best implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.