Nintendo's Mario Kart 8 Sells 1.2 Million in One Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I were to buy a console, it would more than likely be the Wii U, for smash bros and mario kart, and some of the old-school games.

The more "serious" consoles don't appeal because my gaming PC outclasses them by far... but a Wii is just, well... fun.

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
I am waiting for Metroid for the U. Almost vaporware status. Like HL3 or an appropriate sequel to Unreal (not the Tournament).

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
This is definitely the modern path for Nintendo. Every console has always had certain games and certain series that net them a ton, relative to the other series on the system. But the movement and sale of other series pads things out bank account wise. For Nintendo right now there is very little padding. Nintendo is living on the success of its major franchises. The company seems to almost go to sleep or disappear when they aren't putting out a Mario or Zelda or Pokemon. I don't know how long they'll stick around if things keep on like this, but so far they're managing to hang on.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
PC and Wii U go together great. When you want to dig into an ultra competitive shooter, MOBA, or RTS you just have to do it on the PC. If you wanna play a really good RPG, modded games like Skyrim are second to none on the PC. If you want to play the lastest MMO the way it's meant to be played, PC all the way.

But when you got friends or family over and want to gather around and have a blast, the Wii U is the perfect system to do it on. 4 player Mario Kart 8, 4 player Mario U, 4 player Smash brothers... there's nothing better than that.

Then you also get all the Nintendo exclusives that don't really have PC or other console equals, like Zelda and Metroid games.... it's an easy choice to make, especially since the price on the Wii U is near nothing lol.

DrBackwater

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

Nintendos for nostalgia and family party, and HORRROR.
Sony's for great narrative and RPG and car simulators, and fighter games
The xbox, is black sheep but great for, I dunno really it's a tough one.
The pc for everything, emulators, the whole entire thing.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I played it at my brothers place on the weekend, and it's so much fun. The game play is great, the graphics are stunning, it's another great incremental step in Mario Kart. I want a Wii U now, just for that game

The Xbox seems to be for FPS (judging by the ads for Halo/COD/MW) and the Xbox Live Arcade.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Playstations and X-Boxes are the jacks of all trades, but the masters of none. But that versatility keeps the money coming in. Nintendo, however, is pretty rubbish at a lot of stuff, but they are the true masters when it comes to things like basic, pure fun. Whenever they make a new Mario or Zelda game, they flex those muscles, and the money comes in.

And weirdly, both approaches seem to work.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
I'll buy a wii u when the next metroid game by retro (not any other dev) is released.

Metroid, however, would fare much better on pc imo. Imo, metroid prime trilogy is better than half life series.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Well it is one of the reasons I bought a Gamecube was to play Zelda. The same for the old SNES so I could play Zelda and Metroid. Might have to get a Wii U.

Status
Not open for further replies.