Nintendo's NX Console Is Not A Successor To Wii U

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished
The Wii U needs to be taken out back and shot, it's already failed to sell enough units to be profitable.

Well, the weird thing is that the Wii U is the only current console with any decent exclusives. The PS4 has Bloodborne, and... well, that's about it. The Wii U's got Bayonetta, Fast Racing Neo, Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, Splatoon, Smash, etc. It's the only console worth buying at the moment, and nobody's buying it. And nobody's going to buy it now especially, with the NX on the horizon that so little is still known about.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

That tells you more about the futility of exclusives than anything else. Maybe publishers will finally learn that multi-platform titles are the only smart way to go.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
The Wii U needs to be taken out back and shot, it's already failed to sell enough units to be profitable.

I did my part and bought one, but never used it beyond setting it up. There's so much competing for the time we spend on entertainment.

I could play VR games on the Vive, Fallout 4 DLC on PC, Uncharted 4 on PS4, or Battleborn on Xbox One, and that's just a few of the gaming options. I also have so much TV, and so many movies competing for my time, and I just never get around to using my Wii U.

A complementary console? Wonder if it's a VR console. Virtual Boy 2.0?

Um, how about Uncharted, Last of Us, Ratchet & Clank, Gran Turismo, and LittleBigPlanet? If you count games that are only available on Sony consoles, or those where it's just PC and PS4, that list grows. But everyone will have some good exclusives ( Halo, Forza, Gears of War on XBox ). Saying only one console has worthwhile exclusives is biased in the extreme. Not everyone shares your gaming preferences. Also, considering most people like playing games with friends, the greatest exclusives lose a lot of luster if you don't have someone to play it with.

Perhaps you ought to consider WHY no one is buying it. The U is about $50 cheaper than the other two, so that should give it a big advantage. Except the PS4 and especially XB1 have stronger media capabilities, especially since the U can't even play a DVD or Blu-ray. In a way, my PS3 and PS4 have saved me money because I've never had to purchase a Blu-ray player. It's also cheaper to get a set of controllers for the PS4 or XB1 than the U. Then there's the extremely limited 32 GB storage

The U may have some redeeming qualities, but there are plenty of reasons that keep it from being "the only console worth buying at the moment."

While skeptical, I am really hoping the rumors of the NX being a gaming platform (more like a VM) will be true. That would be a fantastic way to bring Nintendo to PC, Apple, Android, etc.
Probably not true... but man, it would be nice.

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
I miss the days when consoles had exotic hardware and exclusive games.
Then again, with VR in the mix, we are at a crossroads for content. Kind of like the boardroom meeting at Sega back in 1995 just before release...and they realized that Nintendo went 3D graphics, and they thought 2D was still king. I think any new console not built around VR will end up like the Saturn.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Nintendo, we don't believe you, you need more people. Now Nintendo, you know good and damn, well this will be your next home console. Yes it might have some kinda handheld function, but it will mainly be for the home.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Well, okay, the only other console worth buying is a second-hand PS3. Sure, there's a new Ratchet and Clank or Uncharted game, but there's three other games (and better ones) from each franchise to be played on PS3. And never mind that, while the PS3 has a really big library of great games, the overwhelming majority of those great PS3 games are just PS2 remasters.

And Gran Turismo/Forza/etc, I see no reason to play those when there are so many racing sims on PC that are so vastly superior.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I did my part and bought one, but never used it beyond setting it up. There's so much competing for the time we spend on entertainment.

I could play VR games on the Vive, Fallout 4 DLC on PC, Uncharted 4 on PS4, or Battleborn on Xbox One, and that's just a few of the gaming options. I also have so much TV, and so many movies competing for my time, and I just never get around to using my Wii U.
Don't forget about the Web, that takes most of my time these days

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Xbox has Halo, PS4 has Bloodborne....aaand that's about it for their exclusives. And that's why I PC game and have a Wii U, too bad most people just get on the hype train with their consoles. (Granted, I have an XB1 to play halo with my buddies since we've been playing since Halo 2). To be honest, the Wii U is really the only console worth buying. Also, Nintendo always says this when new hardware is coming out. The 3DS was "not a successor to the Game Boy".

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I must chime in on the Wii U since too many people dog it and haven't even played it. I have PC (of course), Wii U, PS4, Xbox One and the previous generation of consoles. I have nearly every major console besides regular xbox and that's about it. Wii U currently has my largest library of games on console and has become my favorite console. Every single one of my friends that had a negative image regarding the console has come to really like it after playing a game or a few with me on it. The titles are some of my favorites, especially multiplayer. Even the single player games that are exclusive have some unique experiences on them that I can't get on another console. Additionally the gamepad, when used well in a game is very convenient to have and it feels comfortable in your hands. The Wii U pro controller actually became my favorite gamepad, not just to the layout of the controls but I also RARELY have to charge it. Unlike my PS4 controller which dies in between every use.

Yes I also play titles on my PS4 and Xbox One...currently one of my favorite titles is Quantum Break. It's all about giving the console a chance and it might surprise. Besides, if you have some friends over and want to play some multiplayer games what are you going to play on your PS4 and Xbox One? NHL, NFL?....and that's about it.

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Am i the only one who remembers Nintendo claiming that the DS wasn't a replacement for the gameboy, but instead a "third tier"? .... okay, fool me once Nintendo. This is 100% a replacement for the Wii U.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Am i the only one who remembers Nintendo claiming that the DS wasn't a replacement for the gameboy, but instead a "third tier"? .... okay, fool me once Nintendo. This is 100% a replacement for the Wii U.

I think this is just their way of saying that the NX won't be backwards-compatible with Wii/U/GC games.

Well, you're half right. You're forgetting the Nathan Drake collection is on PS4, which means you can get one console for that entire game series. However, saying the older games are better is purely subjective and doesn't apply to everyone's tastes.

Uh huh. Cite that source, please? Because I can list many, many best selling titles that are not remasters.

I can see plenty of reasons to do that. First, not everyone has a gaming PC. Not everyone knows how to build one, or has the inclination to do so. Not everyone knows how to get a proper mix of hardware to ensure good performance. Not everyone has the stack of money it takes to get a custom build from a boutique store. But for $350 you can get a console that's guaranteed to work with any game released for it.

I think you'll find it beneficial to stop using your opinions as if they were empirical fact. If you prefer Nintendo games, fine. I really couldn't care less. I'd love to have a good Zelda or Metroid game on another platform. But this dictatorial tone that you are right and everyone should agree with you is not accomplishing anything, especially when you're ignoring critical facts that are important to many other consumers.

Do you understand how uncommon that is? It's great that you have enough disposable income to get all that. I'd love to have access to all the games on any platform. However I, and most other people, don't have the money to do this. I'm not "dogging" on the U just to do it. I'm saying if you only have the money for one console, there are compelling financial reasons to consider the PS4 or XB1 over the U.

Again, it's great that you like the games. I feel sad when I or someone else spends money on a game they don't like ( I wish I could return the Last of Us, but it's a digital purchase ). No one is saying the games are crap. I'm simply saying that your preferences aren't shared by everyone. Don't make the mistake of thinking others aren't enjoying their games on a different console. And even if a PS4 or XB1owner enjoys a U game, that doesn't mean they want to rush out and spend $300+ on the system just so they can play it. We all have limited money to spend on games, and perhaps more important, limited time in which games we play.

Huh, my DualShock4 can go a week without needing to recharge. How are you using yours? You'd see better battery life out of it if you dimmed the light bar on it and enabled the auto-off feature ( if you pause the game and leave it for more than 10 minutes ). But for the cost of a single Wii U gamepad you can get two DS4 controllers, so just have one charging while you use the other.

Actually I can do Diablo 3, Borderlands 2 and Pre-Sequel, LittleBigPlanet, and Gauntlet on mine, and my PS4 library isn't very big.

DavidGX_

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
They said the same thing about the DS, it wasn't a successor to the Gameboy... but it was. This is just the BS they say to cover their asses if it fails. Don't believe it.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I'm thinking gaming tablet. I mean, it isn't full console size, its going to probably use the nvidia tegra cpu, it isn't nintendo ds size. So something inbetween...

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
wait, who's saying the next nintendo console is not a replacement for the current system,
I must of read this type of story when Wii came out then Wii U now this.
Also don't forget the "our system is not meant to compete with xbox or ps4" theme at the end of the article

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
The Wii U failed for the same reason that the original Wii died; Nintendo games. The novelty of the game play could not overcome the lack of third party games. Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong are fun for a while, but they are not enough to get people to buy a nintendo console.

I was one of the millions who waited in line to get the original Wii. My kids and I loved it because the controller was truly revolutionary and fun. Then that novelty wore off when we got tired of Nintendo's games. Next purchase was the Xbox 360, which my sons played till the day I bought the Xbox 1. Both of these consoles have kept their interest because the abundance of games.

Nintendo will never dominate the console market as long as they stick to kids games. Port a "halo" style game or Black Ops or Forza (or Sony equivalent) to Wii U, then it would have sold more. The Wii U failed because of the games that are available for it.

If the next Nintendo console has the same lack of games, then it will fail. I don't care if it is VR, Mario and Zelda are not strong enough titles to get people to spend $300, let alone more.

I disagree, the games are the only reason i would buy a nintendo console. The problem is they are still trying to flog it for a fair amount of cash, and it has about the same processing power as a ps3/xbox 360, and it cant do things like play blueray, or stream movies. Consoles should be able to, at a bare minimum, play their games at 1080p, and have potential to upscale to 4k, have blueray playback and support apps and streaming services to be more of a full multimedia device. That is what people want. What people don't want is stupid gimmicks like the wii u controller which is half the reason the thing is so overpriced in the first place.

waynes

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
NeXt generation Virtual Boy. I can add it to my three existing ones. Thirty years and finally they release the color version.

Status
Not open for further replies.