Nintendo's SNES Classic Edition Arrives September 29 For $80

Status
Not open for further replies.

jowen3400

Notable
Mar 24, 2017
Raspberry PI 3 I already have this. With a wireless controller for less than that. Also more games. They messed up with the NES Classic. Waste of money.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
So I'm heavily pessimistic about this.
Like DSTARR3 said earlier, expect this to be scalper heaven. Then, 3 months later, expect it to reach end of life.

I love old Nintendo games to death, but if this follows in the NES Classic's footsteps then be prepare to experience all of the worst marketing strategies conceivable.

DerekA_C

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
what is funny is I still have both NES and SNES originals from release dates and crap tons of games and they both work perfectly only Nintendo could have build a computer system so stable and reliable to work 30 plus years later

Things do tend to be less expensive when you are pirating the games.

artk2219

Distinguished

My Genesis, Master System, Atari 2600, and Commodore 64 say hello. :)

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I'm a classic game collector but I can't get into Atari 2600. I feel like there's a minimum graphics threshold that a console needs to meet and Atari falls short of it.

Edit: I should clarify that I do enjoy Golden Age arcade games. I prefer some of the later ports. Ms. Pac Man on Genesis is really good and Galaga on NES is very faithful to the arcade original.

artk2219

Distinguished

I get that, I guess for me it was the first console I had access to, my dad bought one when he was in the army, and it was just there when I was a kid. We would go to the flea market every weekend and pick up new games for a dollar or two a piece. Even when I got my Genesis (Sonic over that lame plumber with a trash stash any day :D ) we would still pull out the 2600 for a few classics like Maze Craze (Awesome two player, and the damned AI cheats in single player -_-) and River Raid (surprisingly difficult later on in the game).

jowen3400

Notable
Mar 24, 2017

Most are over the 30 year old age. The Copy write does have a limiting time. That and you can't buy it. If company's were smart they would sell the ROMS at a buck or 2 a pop.

g-unit1111

Titan

Rare bolted from Nintendo to Microsoft back in the mid 90s and they own the rights to most of Nintendo's better titles like Killer Instinct, Chrono Trigger, Banjo Kazooie, and Conker's Bad Fur Day. So if you can get Nintendo and Rare to come back together, that would be an impressive feat.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

Rare worked with Nintendo for a loooong time. They contributed to all sorts of NES games in the 80's. Battle Toads is well known, but they also worked on the NES Marble Madness port, Wizards and Warriors, and Nightmare on Elm Street among others.

They acted as a second party developer for Nintendo during the SNES generation. They were responsible for all three Donkey Kong Country games as well as the Ken Griffey baseball games.

Their most influential time was probably during the N64 era when they developed Golden Eye, Perfect Dark, Donkey Kong 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, and several other well received games.

In the early 2000's they were purchased by Microsoft. A bunch of core employees left during the transition which is why Rare fell apart in the years to come.

You mentioned in your post that Rare was responsible for Chrono Trigger. CT was a joint project between Square and Enix. Rare had no part in it. Additionally, Nintendo retained ownership of their properties developed by Rare. This allows them to sell Donkey Kong Country titles even without Rare's permission.

g-unit1111

Titan

Huh, I always thought Chrono Trigger was a Rare title. But I'm surprised that SquareEnix hasn't repackaged the game on Android like they did with their Final Fantasy titles. But the inclusion of FF3 on the small SNES is very puzzling why that game also wasn't included.

dstarr3

Distinguished

CT is on Android.

75 years. You might be able to trade these games legally in the late 2060s, assuming the laws don't get adjusted before then.

Also, what should it matter if a game is over 30 years old? (and no SNES games are that old) A lot of these games are just as entertaining to play as they were when they came out, and some are arguably better than a lot of the games coming out today. Many people are still willing to buy them, so they're not worthless. And yes, you can buy them. That's the point of this device. Plus Nintendo has made their virtual console available on most of it's recent systems, so there are an even larger number of games available for purchase there. Or go on eBay or elsewhere for the original cartridges.

Of course, I can't say it's necessarily "bad" if someone wants to play older games like these on an unsupported device, or wants to play a game that they can't find available for purchase, or simply wants to try some games from an earlier era but doesn't think they are worth the money they're being sold for. It's silly to claim that when the games are made available, that they are overpriced just because it's possible to get them without paying though. By that logic, most games or other forms of media could be considered overpriced.

From a value perspective, I wouldn't even say the pricing is necessarily all that bad when you consider that the package includes 21 games at under $4 each (including the cost of the hardware), and could easily provide over a hundred of hours of entertainment. Many new releases are priced at that amount or more these days when you factor in the cost of DLC, just for a download, and plenty of people still buy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.