Nissan Leaf Cars Can Be Hacked Through A Web Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Well this proves that IoT in everything is stupid, everyone with any IT knowledge already knew that but to the public ... perhaps next time it will be way more sinister

Even then, a settlement with a gag order typically keeps that under wraps.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
This is why the Galactic a had manual water faucets and to lites AND why Adama would not allow the school teacher to have a networked computer on board!!!!

Doesn't anyone watch Sci Fi any more?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
What happens when the car get a few years older & the manufacturer stops updating the software? Look at android phones for an example. They should use blackberry software on them. Atleast they can update it for them. Security is all they talk about :p

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Sure laugh but it won't be funny when modern civilization is turn off because some unsecured IoT toaster[(the type toast bread ;) ) was able to shut the "smart" power grid off. Toasters, toilets, and automobiles have worked fine for 100 years, there is no need to network them. If you want internet acces in you car for things navigation, music, or communication at least isolate the ECM, just like the mainframe in Mission Impossible.

P. S typing on a smart phone blows so i apologize for the crappy typos.

Damn cylons in our midst!

This is why the Galactic a had manual water faucets and to lites AND why Adama would not allow the school teacher to have a networked computer on board!!!!

Connectivity in cars has never been properly secured for one reason or another. This is an inevitable result of that. It'll only get worse. I've heard that the cars are all left unsecured to make maintenance easier, which I can understand, but there has to be a compromise here.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Connectivity in cars has never been properly secured for one reason or another. This is an inevitable result of that. It'll only get worse. I've heard that the cars are all left unsecured to make maintenance easier, which I can understand, but there has to be a compromise here.

Dont connect the cars to the interwebs. Problem solved.

Now if only I could get paid a $500k consulting fee for that advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.