Question Nitro AN-515-53-55G9 goes black randomly.

Jun 26, 2019
Last November, I bought an Acer Nitro off the Acer refurbished ebay store. It worked fine for a couple months, but I didn't really stress test it much because of the busy time of year. Once I started using it more, mainly to watch movies, I noticed it would start turning off randomly. But it wouldn't turn all the way off. When it turns off, the keyboard backlight is still on and the screen goes black but the backlight on the screen is still turned on. I have to push the power button for 10 seconds to get it to completely shut off, then I can restart it.

It almost always happens when it's plugged in - I thought it may be a heat issue, but I've got it on a cooling pad and it doesn't seem to affect it. Whenever it goes black, even putting my hand by the fan doesn't feel any warmer than normal.

Of course I noticed this issue sometime in march, after the 3 month warranty on the refurbs had expired.

I've searched the forums and internet, but haven't really seen another issue like this where it just goes black instead of turning all the way off.

Any help is appreciated!

Steve

Lutfij

Titan
On the underside of your laptop
back-3.jpg

You should see a pin hole which is used to disconnect the internal battery from the entire motherboard circuitry. While the laptop is disconnected from the wall outlet, you can press on the pin hole. Keep pressed for at least 30 seconds. Then power up with only the battery(not the wall adapter) and take note of the BIOS version for the laptop. o through Acer's support site and make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the laptop.

You may also want to uninstall and reinstall the GPU drivers and see if that changes the issue. Connect the laptop to an external display and see if the display cuts out on it as well.

Jun 26, 2019
I'll give it a shot tonight. It's not just that the monitor goes dark. The entire computer is locked up. The audio stops, and the computer won't respond to keyboard commands either. I don't know if I have an external monitor, now that I think about it. Maybe my TV has a DVI input or the HDMI will work.

You should see a pin hole which is used to disconnect the internal battery from the entire motherboard circuitry. While the laptop is disconnected from the wall outlet, you can press on the pin hole. Keep pressed for at least 30 seconds. Then power up with only the battery(not the wall adapter) and take note of the BIOS version for the laptop. o through Acer's support site and make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for the laptop.

You may also want to uninstall and reinstall the GPU drivers and see if that changes the issue. Connect the laptop to an external display and see if the display cuts out on it as well.